1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo Carbon Fiber PLA

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by m4r1n5, Apr 25, 2016.

1. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

I bought the Carbon Fiber PLA from Robo3d and it looks nice. I used the recommended 215 and kept the bed at 60 deg. I only use a combo of hairspray and Elmers washable purple glue stick. on is the calibration cube and the other are parts I'm changing out on my gimbal to make it light on my quadcopter. Does anyone know waht the best "adhesive" to use on this? More of a over kill in being cautious as my 300$ Hero is being flown around at 600ft.

20160425_104055.jpg 20160425_150253.jpg

2. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

This game out really nice! I like the rough finish feel to it

Attached Files:

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks.good.glad.to.see.someone getting good results with the robo brand

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Those are good looking prints.

I do have to say, and this is just a personal opinion, since the CF amount is so low in these filled filaments (generally less than 20% by volume and closer to 10% on cheaper brands) using PLA as a substrate would not be my first choice. Colorfabb uses PET-T as a base, eSUN uses nylon as their base and there is someone else using PET-G as theirs (can't recall who at the moment). I know all these other blends cost more, they will also likely specify the amount of carbon fiber by volume. Anyone that doesn't should be suspect. The Robo filament at 15% is not bad, I am just not a big fan of PLA as the medium to deliver it.

5. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

I completely agree on the pla point. I used ABS exclusively prior to buying the robo. The fact that pla can warp easier than most in direct sunlight is a problem as far as using it consistently Outdoors. But like you said it was relatively cheap comparative to the others and it was being sold by Robo which led me to believe that I'd get consistent prints out of it. I'm interested in the nylon one but the reviews of esun on here have been fifty fifty

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

100 people surveyed, 100 different opinions. The more popular filaments on this board are Hatchbox and eSUN. Many use JustPLA or JustABS. For nylon filaments there is almost no one else other than Taulman as they have so many blends, eSUN only has one nylon filament. Colorfabb XT (PET) and XTCF (PET filled with Carbon Fiber) are supposed to be real nice also.

7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I like to use plastruct plastic weld for an adhesive, but I'm not sure I would be willing to put a high $$ part way up in the sky with glue alone holding it in. Looks like your joints are screwed together as well though and printed in a high strength orientation.

The Robo PLA looks nice, but you may want to check out some of the other alternatives for strength and toughness. Particularly over time. The Protopasta Carbon fiber PLA High temperature can be annealed so it will be fine in the sun. It's also quite a bit stronger than standard carbon fiber filled PLA. However, any PLA based material will degrade over time and become more brittle. We're talking many months into years here, not a few weeks. So, for more durable parts over time, something like the colorFabb XT-CF20 or even the CF filled nylon at 3D XTech can be a better choice.

Also, to clarify, not that it really matters that much since you can get such an extremely wide variation in properties, but XT is more like a PETG than a PETT. They've dropped the PET from any of the descriptions because XT, HT, and NGEN are all PET based but with dramatically different mechanical properties.

m4r1n5 likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is a really good choice. We used it on some Quads. Alloy 910 worked very good as well.

9. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

10. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I have printed a few quadcopters in ABS, PLA, and PETG. Bottom line is they all SUCK.

Fun as a project, durability is worthless one touch on the ground and the 3d printed parts explode to peices.. Just buy a ZMR 250 carbon fiber frame for like $20.. and print accessories for it on your printer. ( like camera mounts and frame spacers, and whatnot )

11. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

I own a DJI FC40. I only printed the gimbal parts to lighten the weight.

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@KTMDirtFace Could you imaging a 3D printed quad or hex with an improperly balanced prop vibrating enough to explode the parts in mid-flight. There are just some things that shouldn't be done with a 3D printer.

#12 WheresWaldo, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
  13. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Nice, I printed a mount for a tarot gimbal for my blade 350. its held up but that thing doesn't hit the ground like my little FPV quads do.

m4r1n5 likes this.
  14. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

@WheresWaldo . One of the questions I had was if there was any thin type of glue or adhesive so that I could put over the piece to keep the layers from possibly vibrating apart. I almost want to do something like spreading a thin layer of super glue over it with a sponge brush I would throw away.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have tried to print props... briefly.
    With an FDM it is not really worth bothering. The structure of the quad -- yep. We have made a couple of interesting ones :)

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@m4r1n5 I don't have any kind of answer for you.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

XTC-3D or some other sort of epoxy will help.

18. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

I've seen the videos on the XTC-3D. I think I will try out the Superglue. I want to keep the weight down and I think epoxy will be heavier.

19. Angel Medina

Angel Medina New Member

I have a problem. when it retracts, the hotend duct is covered, not the nozzle, and I don't know how to fix it, I have already uncovered that part several times, someone who knows how to fix it, I would be very grateful.

I'm sorry for my level of English, I have not yet mastered the language completely.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If your problem is not specific to Carbon Fiber PLA I would suggest starting a new thread/post in the appropriate section (like troubleshooting) and make sure it in the correct sub-forum for your printer type (R1, R1+, R2, C2, etc)