1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo flavored Raspberry Pi / OctoPrint

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Nov 12, 2016.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@AllenMcAfee

Allen, thanks for the input, some of those comments I made were out of frustration using the OrangePi PC with respect to lack of OS support and not entirely your code. There are things in the code that I have scratched my head thinking, 'why is this here?' But since I am just an outsider and not privy to your greater design goals I am sure you can understand a small amount of questioning. A lot of the work on the Robo3D git repository appears to work and I think it is still a worthwhile endeavor to try and bring some of that to the faithful (R1 Beta/Release/+Plus owners). I have switched my project to a genuine rPi2 and just got my rPi3 yesterday so my efforts after the start of the new year will be directed toward that platform. I also think it might work on the rPi Zero for those on a tight budget but they are currently being price gouged in the US because of limited inventories.

I am looking forward to what Robo does on the software/firmware side of things, since you have a good handle on the hardware, it will be interesting moving forward to see how you put the remaining pieces together to differentiate yourself from the rest of the crowd.

Bud

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Moved everything to a genuine rPi2 w/connected raspicam V2 and have streaming working. Now I need to include the theme that Robo made with some subtractions, the current Raspberry Pi Jessie image with OctoPrint 1.3.0, HAProxy, mjpeg-streamer, chromium browser just barely fits on a 2GB microSD (only 14KB free), but one more installed service/application will break it, so the image will end up on a 4GB microSD minimum.

Next step is to move the image to a 4GB microSD.

#22 WheresWaldo, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  3. AllenMcAfee

AllenMcAfee Guest

@WheresWaldo Where did you land on this? We are shipping with an 8GB card minimum to handle any unforeseen error log pileups and big user libraries. Octoprint just introduced a theme plugin that we will be working on shortly. so stay tuned. We are bringing more features in the next release of the LCD screen that we want to get past first.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@AllenMcAfee I am currently running on an rPi2 with the Waveshare 3.5. Since I really couldn't get the kivy stuff working to my satisfaction, I am using TouchUI. I ended up being able to fit it all on a 4GB µSD about 50% full, but I don't have logging enabled. Since I am not a programmer I can only tweak code so much and with about 10 projects going on at the same time, this project has taken a backseat, temporarily. Still too much work to do on RC8/RCBugFix for the original Robo's.

The big problem with OctoPrint is do you use 1.3.x or do something like Leapfrog has done and use the devel branch of 1.4.x. And too many plugins can cause communication issues with the rPi's weak I/O.

BTW, the stuff I saw done with Kivy was way better than TouchUI or OctoPiPanel but it was just too much to modify it to work on anything higher resolution than 320 x 240.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@AllenMcAfee I am curious where you are hosting the OS build since GITHUB is not being updated regularly (or at the very l;east I can't seem to find it). Consider this a formal request for the source.

mark tomlinson and danzca6 like this.