1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo R1 +PLUS Firmware Changes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ryan TeGantvoort, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Hi all!

I have had my Robo for a few weeks, but I have multiple job titles so I haven't got to use it much. I finally decided to calibrate the Extruder yesterday, because I was having issues with the first layer and I noticed it was under-extruding on the top layer as well. Definitely, should have been one of the first things I did. I followed the steps in the YouTube video created by Tom at Tom's Hardware.

So I marked the Filament at 150mm and then extruded 100mm, my first result was 86mm of filament extruded. Initially my steps per unit was 723.38, so I took (723.38 x 100)/86 = 841.14. I was able to override the initial steps per unit by using M92 E841.14. I then retested a few times and it was close, +/- a few mm, which I am happy with for now. As soon as I can permanently change this, I will go back and re-calibrate.

Initially, I thought I could modify this by increasing/decreasing the extrusion multiplier, but that does not seem to do anything?

I would really prefer not to have to enter this override every time I open Simplify3D. So, I thought I would follow another one of Tom's videos and edit the firmware. But when I tried to get the firmware from Robo3D, it states in bold to not update the firmware for the Robo R1 +PLUS? I have also never worked with Arduino before so this C++ is pretty new to me, besides some coding experience and G/M code (CNC Mill though).

I believe I found the correct firmware, Marlin-1.0.2-1? I read in these forums it could be ROBO3D_LEADSCREW_V1 as well? I also went and grabbed the latest version of u8glib_arduino_v1.18.1. But now I am kind of at a loss because I do not really want to update the firmware and possibly void my warranty? On a side note, if I screw/bolt anything through the Robo3D case does that void the warranty?

Would I be better off just moving to the newest version of Marlin 1.1.0 RC3?

Since I am not supposed to update the firmware, can I put this code in the Starting Script? I would prefer to update the firmware with the changes instead, as I am getting my Full Graphics LCD later this week and will probably have to update the firmware to get that installed as well. I did read something about the new firmware already accepting the Full Graphics LCD though? I also just want to learn more about how the 3D printer operates, and the firmware will be key if I can browse it.

I tried contacting Robo 3D directly about this but the Tech Support guy was very unhelpful, basically just kept saying all he can do is escalate this issue. I thought about contacting Simplify3D but I feel this is a question for Robo 3D.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Use the Robo provided version ( ROBO3D_LEADSCREW_V1 ) or be prepared to deal with tweaking and fiddling with generic marlin.

There is a thread on here started by @WheresWaldo you can read about using the generic marlin just be prepared to do a little more work and testing.

XEMA and Ryan TeGantvoort like this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There are quite a few of us using the new Marlin 1.1.0-rc3 and it is working. I have included the files necessary to use it on various versions of the R1 and R1+PLUS in that thread. You can get the help you need, also in that thread. But if you ever plan on using Robo Technical Support, they won't know what to do with 1.1.0, even though I have asked them to look at my thread, so you might be better off with the LEADSCREW_V1 version (Marlin 1.0.0).

4. Ryan TeGantvoort

Thanks for the prompt replies!

Okay so my firmware is actually the ROBO3D_LEADSCREW_V1. For some reason, I thought the R1 +PLUS came with Marlin 1.0.2-1? Is there a reason they say not to change the firmware? Or does this mean not to update to the newest version of Marlin? So I can make the changes I need to ROBO3D_LEADSCREW_V1 and then flash/upload?

Sorry for so many newbie questions. I'm still learning!

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

My rule is always LEAVE THE FIRMWARE ALONE unless you have a specific goal in mind.
    99% of the changes you are ever going to do are in CONFIGURATION.H any way so edit that and re-upload.

If there is something specific you are looking to add that a new release has then go for it.

6. Ryan TeGantvoort

Okay my thoughts exactly (if it's not broke, don't fix it) but I need to change this line:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,800,723.38} // default steps per unit for RoBo 3D R1

So my steps per unit is accurate. Or should I just include this information in the Starting Script in Simplify3D? Like so: M92 E841.14

That is basically it for now, but I like having full control over and knowledge of the piece of equipment I am using.

I also see the Full Graphics Smart Controller is still commented on this version, but the XXL should work right out of the box. I actually ordered the Sainsmart version of the Full Graphics instead of the RepRap one. Will I need to do the same steps as if I was installing the RepRap version?

Once I dig into this a bit, I may look into the new Marlin 1.1.0 RC3 version (at least check out some of the new features). If I upload the newest version, can I revert and re-upload the old version, without too many issues?

Thanks again you have been a big help!

7. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

You could always send an M500 in the terminal after sending the M92 E841.14 and just be done with worrying about it.

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  8. Ryan TeGantvoort

Well that was simple!

9. daniel871

Yeah, there are a lot of things you can modify and commit to EEPROM with G/Mcodes and an M500 at the end of whatever changes you make that are a lot easier than firmware reflashing (when it comes to calibration-related things at any rate).

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They are pretty much the exact same board.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just do yourself a favor and remember exactly what settings you did this with. Otherwise (after you forget) you try to reload the code later and nothing new happens :)

12. daniel871

That's what the LCD controller is for (you can look up all of the G/M-code editable settings in the menus on the controller).

Or an Octopi installation with the Marlin EEPROM editor add-on.

13. Ryan TeGantvoort

Great! Thank you for the input everyone. I am starting to get my toes wet now! And finally getting a small grasp on this Robo 3D!

The M500 worked for now but I think later I will change in Firmware, seems more permanent and easier to visualize or remember (when I forget). Actually, the Firmware code is fairly easy to understand and well written.

I have looked into the Raspberry Pi with OctoPrint, and honestly I get a little lost so that will have to come later on!

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I would edit the firmware also, even if you set it in EEPROM and store the settings. If anything ever issues an M502 command you will pull your hair out not knowing why certain things are broken, since M502 resets to Firmware defaults, not memory defaults.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Exactly. Forgetful am I and I'd rather read the source and 'remember' what I set it to :rolleyes:

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Got to love the comments :). Always the .h for me for that reason. I tend to do something stupid then forget why unless I comment but I'm silly like that

18. Ryan TeGantvoort

Yea the comments are definitely helping me understand what is going on in this C++ coding. I work a lot with building and maintaining websites so I get the idea of C++ (just not familiar with it), and I always add additional comments so I know what I did! I found, with websites anyways, I will actually comment out the original code and then add my new code. This way I have the original information still if something breaks.

Thanks again everyone, you have been a big help! :D

19. 3D Printer Man

I hope this firmware it the best. Which it probably is!