1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved ROBO3D R1 BED LEVELING

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by VBUZZ, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VBUZZ

VBUZZ New Member

Hi everyone i just bought this 3d printer used and ive been watching all the videos and reading all the posts on the subject i am using simplified 3d software to run the printer and a robo 3d r1 with autoleveling profile so it puts the auto leveling script in at the beginning of the print but no matter what i do when it runs the first the first line around the perimeter of the part never fail it does not adjust for the bed being un level and since there are no leveling screws on the print bed at all i cant get it to come even close to making a good first layer i even went as far as putting a double pc of paper under it when it was doing its autolevel at the beginning of the program and still the tip ends up touching the glass on one side of the print job its almost like its not compensating for the bed at all

any ideas

john

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi john,
    Have you leveled the x axis to the Y (paper leveling)

Basically you bring the nozzle to the bed then lift off just far enough to where a piece of paper fits under the nozzle between the nozzle and the bed. You should feel slight drag on the paper. Then you move the x axis to the other side of the bed and repeat. you keep doing this until both sides feel the same (the paper is your feeler gauge)

Huski likes this.
  3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

You forgot the part about manually turning the motor on one side or the other to help straighten the X-axis relative to the Y-axis when doing this.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

and what does your startup GCode block look like?

5. VBUZZ

VBUZZ New Member

ok so do i do this with the machine off?? and this is just manualy adjusting the 2 screws ???

6. VBUZZ

VBUZZ New Member

and my start up block looks like this

G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm

G28 ; home all axes

M565 Z-1.1; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism

G29 ; run auto-level

M300 S440 P200 ;A4: 440

G0 Z5

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yes machine off after you home z and manually turn the threaded rod on the side you have the paper on. Sorry hurried response, thanks @daniel871 for picking up my slack.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The ABL routine that is in the version of Marlin Robo is currently using is rather brain dead simple.
    The X axis has to be pretty much level already or it won't work at all. Better than manually leveling the entire bed, but not by much.

9. VBUZZ

VBUZZ New Member

ok so to make sure im doing this right first i start up the machine home the machine this puts the tip right on the glass
    then i turn the machine off and turn the screw so i can get a pc of paper to just slide under then machine still off slide the axis to the other side and adjust that screw the same way but what about front to back that is were my problem is it prints nicely in front but rubbs the glass in back

10. VBUZZ

VBUZZ New Member

is there a better script i should be using

11. VBUZZ

VBUZZ New Member

yes its not off by very much at all but you can see it when it goes through its autoleveling

12. VBUZZ

VBUZZ New Member

i can see using the paper to adjust the level of the 2 z axis screws in X but how do i make the adjustment i need in Y there is no leveling screws on the bed at all

13. daniel871

The latest version of the custom firmware @WheresWaldo has been keeping documented for everyone is generally held to be the best upgrade you can do on your R1.

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

I know it's not a Gcode script, but during the very short lifetime where my R1 was functioning the Mesh Bed Leveling back around RC6 made it actually reliable about printing objects without screwing up the first layer.

14. daniel871

Most people put paper shims between the magnets in the bed to adjust Y-axis relative to X, if they don't decide to say "screw it" and update to the custom firmware in the thread in my other post.

15. VBUZZ

VBUZZ New Member

OH ***** i had no idea the bed was held down with magnets and ill work on updating the firmware ive never done this before so it might take me a little time to figure out

16. VBUZZ

VBUZZ New Member

ill have to get back to you guys later this after noon i have to go get some work done first but now i have a place to start

thanks

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I have some paper shims I keep under mine even though it is on a later version of Marlin as well... I am waiting on v1.10 to release (really release) before switching to MESH, but my experiments agree with @daniel871 observation... it is much better :)

18. VBUZZ

VBUZZ New Member

OK i dont know what ive done but now when i try to home the machine it just moves a tiny bit in y from were ever it is
    and does not even move to the limit switch an yet it calls that home and the end stops do not stop the movement in y or x when it hit them
    if i turn on the machine and give it the command of g28 it goes from were ever its at and moves to what it thinks is the center of the table even when its not and makes that x0y0z0

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What all did you do?
    Did you :
    1) load some new firmware?
    2) mess with any switches or wires?
    3) replace/adjust anything on the RAMPS board?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and can you be more specific about how it moves and when? Or take a short video...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.