1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify 3d

Discussion in 'Software' started by John Rygg, Dec 6, 2013.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I am using it on Windows 8 (64-bt) without any major issues. I did notice at one point something crashed it, but only the engine... not the UI. Restarting it solved the problem (it did not crash when I ran the model through it again).

2. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Logged a bug with them on the Raft generation. I found a model that would repeatably make the slicer generate what looked like a good gcode, but would sent the printer into la-la land. Remove the raft and all was good. Didn't need the raft, but was going to use it anyway.

3. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

If you export the Gcode from simplify and run it using say MC, would it print as expected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

4. Darkhunter12

Darkhunter12 New Member

I fixed the crashing problem, I email their support and they replied telling me to upgrade drivers and that worked, getting brilliant prints out of simplify so glad :)

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I haven't tried that myself, it is only the raft which is broken and it is looking OK in the gcode preview window...
    Almost humorous the way it send the print head all over the place trying to print a raft.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I've found the S3D's support generation doesn't consider the bridging direction. Think I'll have to create a S3D forum account and log the issues I've found. Some more fixes and enhancements will put it nicely out in front of other slicers.

8. tri-lite

tri-lite New Member

I'm also a Simplify3D user. IonCore is offering Simplify3D Software with their printer, the same way many other printer hardware manufacturers offer Simplify3D. They are not the developers of the software.

9. RokleM

RokleM Member

I did a lot of reading and bit the bullet on this one. I zero'd in MC, then headed into the tool. MC is printing great, but it constantly crashes, has issues with support, can't load any of my larger files, etc (point here, printer is probably ok).

Connected (with assistance of screenshots here), can set temp, seems to run, but the print never happens. I only see the SLIGHTEST faint outline of material on the bed, but that's it.

Please bear with me. I am a noobie here with a new printer. So I've done enough reading to be dangerous, but are no way in some of your leagues :D

Attached Files:

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It sounds as if your Z start point is too low. You should get a normal first layer, a faint line is not right.
    Not having the autolevel version I can't be certain (ping their support though--they DO respond and fairly quickly during the week). I would suspect it is the ORIGIN OFFSET value for the Z axis that you need to set that value in, but that is a guess. This would be the # that Robo provided you (or that you use in gcode) for the Z initial offset.

11. RokleM

RokleM Member

Browsing around, I've come up with the following, and have PLA on the base. Again, remember complete noob, so not 100% sure on exactly everything yet. It started out as 0.7 and so far this looks like it's about right, or maybe back to 1.2 as I see some slight gaps.

G21 ;metric values
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
    G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops
    G29
    G1 Z01.3
    G92 Z0

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is probably the best approach (just add the custom startup GCode).

13. RokleM

RokleM Member

Well, that worked until I turned off my computer and printer and tried again. Now it's back to printing way in the air and when executing the bed leveling it never goes down, just goes through the 9 reference points higher and higher. Time to do more reading....

14. Joey

Joey New Member

Once you set the starting G-code, try exporting the profile. This will save it as a .FFF file, and now will be easier to know if you're on the correct profile.

For instance, add the starting code, then export so your profile is saved in the list as Robo3D w/ Bed Leveling.

15. RokleM

RokleM Member

Well I got it working again with the auto leveler. Not 100% sure as I haven't done a shutdown/start yet, but I will try that after this print is done.

1) MC - Run through the bed leveling setup
    2) MC - Disable auto bed leveling
    3) MC - Do a test print
    4) S3D - Do a print with the code

G21 ;metric values
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
    G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops
    G29
    G1 Z01.3
    G92 Z0

My biggest issue is 1) either it thinking the bed is much higher or 2) much lower (which is bad because it pushes down on the bed and unscrews the left control threaded rod and I have to manually set it back to approximate height again).

I have a 3 hour print going, so I'll try a reboot after this to see if it works properly by 1) deleting the item on the bed, 2) adding a new item, 3) applying the fff setting, 4) printing... Without having to do anything in MC.

Attached Files:

16. RokleM

RokleM Member

Good to go! Multiple reboots/resets and it's still ok.

Hard to see because of the filament, but you get the idea. This was a very complex piece (hence the reason I did it) and I wasn't ecstatic about the support. I will have to look into that further.

I have a six hour full fill catapult going now :D

Attached Files:

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The only unhappiness with Simplify3D supports I have had to date has been sometimes I need to add manual ones, but that is so easy (click-click, done) that I don't even notice. 95% of the time it is really me just being anal. The supports it provided would have worked, but with a many-hour print in the offing I am not waiting to find out about a failure several hours in.

2 people like this.
  18. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

I finally bit the bullet and purchased Simplify3D today. I have been using MatterControl successfully since i received the printer in May,but have never been happy with the bugginess and with how often it would crash. I've got my first print with S3D going now (ABS w/o a heated bed as i broke my bed connector..doh!) and it is going magnificently! This same part in matter control would of taken 2 hours, so far S3D is 70% done with 10 minutes to go into a 3o minute job. The supports look much better compared to Slicer or Cura and even with a .3mm layer height, the part so far looks nicer than MC's .1mm layer height. So far I am very happy with the purchase.. time will tell on if it was really worth it.
    It took a bit of fiddling to get the Autolevel working as the Z offset was different compared to MC, but it actually works better with S3D

3 people like this.
  19. Herman Kristanto

Herman Kristanto New Member

Just tested my 'PLA only' model with S3D. So far 20mm cube test give good result. I will post picture comparing MC and S3D soon. I need time to tuneup the setting.

Herman IP3D

20. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Oh man, i love Simplify3D, it just flat out works awesome!

That said. What all is everyone using for the ending gcode to shut off the extruder and bed bed heat, that is the only thing left for me to get working.