1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify3d for the Robo3d-r1, auto level standard yet? [Solved]

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by robert sanchez, Oct 15, 2014.

1. deeph

deeph Member

You will love it!

2. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

It looks like it. I was playing with it last night. There is a significant amount of controlability. I was able to figure it out and get a complex file with support structures setup in under 30 min. Hopefuly I can print tonight.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The sweet thing is you can configure profiles for any/all sections of any or all models.
    (if you need to get more complicated)

4. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

@Mike Kelly, may we also get this appended to solved.

2 people like this.
  5. gravityisweak

gravityisweak Member

Thanks for this. I was searching for this exact info. I just installed Simplify last night, and was pretty frustrated that with Robo 3D R1 listed as a supported printer that it didn't work right off the bat. Don't all R1's have auto leveling? They should have made different model options.

Also, 1 more question. In Matter Control there is a routine to use a piece of paper ( i think to define your z offset? correct me if that's wrong) to dial in the settings. How can that be setup to run in Simplify so that my numbers are right? I'm still fairly new to this but my printer is working nicely with matter control but the supports are really awful.

On another side note I was surprised and disappointed by the primitive interface that Simplify seemed to have compared to Matter Control. There is no option to view your temperatures from the main screen, or to preheat them. You have to enter another menu, and when you do it blocks other information. There wasn't even an option to dock the window while keeping it open. Matter Control has everything available except the 3d view (which would be nice) Right now I'm a little disappointed by Simplify. End rant, lol.

I'll try to change these settings this evening and see how it goes.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can size the main view and the machine control panel so they both fit and see all of the data that way.
    Open feature requests with them if you have suggestions for improvement. Frankly, the UI is the least motivating factor for using Simplify3D (particularly given the cost).

EDit: I never watch it print anyway :) I load the gcode to the SD card and have it print from there after a slice. I do review the sliced model in the viewer to make sure nothing was insane or different than I expected (some times details are important for specific layers).

#26 mark tomlinson, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. gravityisweak

gravityisweak Member

I'm trying but it's not working.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

How hard can it be? Desktop.png

I could fit them completely on there, but the overlap is nothing I care to see. I would normally have the communications tab open in the machine control panel as well.

9. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

That's how I was running S3D when I had my printer tethered. Now I have a reprap full graphic controller and have to say for $20 it's absolutely awesome.

2 people like this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I am generally printing from the SD card myself. I probably should invest in one (it adds some handy features).

11. gravityisweak

gravityisweak Member

Yeah I was hoping that wasn't how it had to be done. Only the main window can be resized. The machine control panel is a set size, so you can't just resize it to show temperature. It really drives me insane that they can't just show it across the top of the toolbar.

Now my simplify is adding parts on top of each other so they overlap (makes no sense, there is plenty of room on the bed to print them all)

My toolbar that I moved to the top of the screen keeps popping back to the right hand side. There is just so much wasted space. They need to take a page from the Photoshop setup IMO.

It just does so many things that I hoped in 2014 we would have gotten past in terms of UI. :(

12. Galaxius

I'll post my full graphic build to my printer thread soon.

2 people like this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have to do a center and arrange to get them to re-arrange on the print bed view, otherwise it stacks them when first added.

14. Galaxius

2 people like this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Thank you sir. I am adding one :)

2 people like this.