1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Snapped parts on the Greg's Wade...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by max longstaff, May 22, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it is just the extruder as described in the original post why not do a replacement parts request through Robo?

It may not be gripping the filament enough to get it to extrude properly.

Also there may be issues with parts other than the hinge on the extruder (guessing here). Either way I am surprised they didn't suggest replacing it given that you have had issues with it.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm not sure they understood what the issue was.

Let them know clearly that your greg's wade hinge is broken (with a picture of the break) and they should replace it.

3. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

ye ill get back in contact with them soon got them sending a new hobbed bolt going to re-season the print head when it gets here and hopefully this will help

4. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

I have managed to get it to extrude without me squeezing but the way I managed to do it tells me that theres something wrong
    (to get enough grip on the filament the springs are completely closed.) IMG_0973.JPG

(also just accidentally picked the extruder up by the hot end thats going to hurt in the morning :p)

#24 max longstaff, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

My springs are always all the way in and have been since day 1 :)

6. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

oh cool :) i guess ill try a print

I ran out of hairspray as an adhesive would spray mount work? or is this dangerous

#26 max longstaff, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
  7. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

And again whilst printing first layer filament stops coming through :/ feel ripped off hasn't worked at all and had it over a month :(

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

well, stops coming through is a different issue. If the filament looks like it ate a chunk out of it (and it is PLA) then add an oiler.

9. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

You could probably take the nut and lock washer off your extruder screws to free up the springs a little bit.

As for it not extruding PLA. Can you manually push the filament through? If not your nozzle is clogged and/or you are printing at too low of a temp. Another possible reason for it not extruding would be the heatsink fan not running.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and if you can't print an oiler (due to the clogging) put oil on some tissue paper (or a napkin) tape it around the filament where it feeds into the hobb and print away.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Holy crap that is way too much tension on the filament. It's probably deforming it.

Just to be doubly sure, your hot end cooling fan is running correct?

12. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

thank you all for the replies I will have try all of your suggestions (the nut and washer are there because the spring has 0 tension on its own) i will try an oiler in the morning and also try a higher temp also im running a e3d v6 hot end but with the stock heater this could be a problem? if so i will try install the v6 one but i dont really know how to do that :S

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I don't think the new E3D uses a wildly different heater core. The standard used to be 40w, but most of them now use 25w. The hex is 25w and I suspect the newer E3D ones are as well.

As far as tension on the screws... I really don't think that is the problem, like I said earlier mine is that way all the time and always has been. That has never been an issue for me. In fact at one point pre-oiler I had added extra springs thinking it might need more pressure to avoid the jams, but nope... that was not the issue. PLA with no oiler was the problem and once I added that it has worked fine.

So while it might be a problem, I have not seen it. Not even on some of the R1 units I have fiddled with.

14. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

unfortunately I have tried adding an oiler and also using a higher temp neither of which were effective :/ I have no idea what its issue is there is no bite marks out of the filament either.

put temperature up to 235 this time it managed to print a bit more but still stops :/

really starting to wish I didn't buy this printer :( had so much trouble with it

#34 max longstaff, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Have you done a 1 on 1 with a robo tech yet?

You've also never said if your heatsink fan is running.

Can you share a picture of what your filament looks like after a jam

16. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

ye I have had a 1 on 1 with a robo tech there sending me a new hobbed bolt but i have tried several not convinced thats the issue :/ the hot end fan is working and I had put a picture of the filament after it stops but ill reupload it as a thumbnail IMG_0906.JPG

17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Have you seasoned? Brushed off the hobbed bolt? Is it scraping filament?

I'd like to see a picture of a most recent jam.

18. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

ill get a picture of the next time I try unfortunately the latest part of filament has been thrown away... tried seasoning several times, all hobbed bolts have been cleaned, and no the filament isn't being scraped

19. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

I'm starting to wonder if E3D sent you a 3mm hot end.

20. max longstaff

max longstaff Member

nope they sent me the 3mm one the first time which obviously didn't work but I had to buy another one that is definitely the correct one