1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Stops printing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Zen, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Zen

Zen Member

Doesn't matter if it USB or SD based and have used several different slicers. Any large model it gets about 3% into and then freezes. S3d thinks that it is still sending and receiving commands according to the verbose log, and when I force stop and home it the machine responds.

Any ideas. Just got this machine today
    Thanks

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, that is new. Mine had been getting occasional comm failures when printing via USB.
    If you are seeing it when printing from the SD card then that rules out communications failures.
    Different slicers rules out a particular program as well.

Means the Arduino is likely hanging.

This is one time I would suggest refreshing the firmware with the latest branch for your style of printer. It may be something in the firmware that got corrupted.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think it's more than likely a communication issue from your computer. Printing from SD is always the safe bet if you have comm issues.

4. Zen

Zen Member

Ok, I just watched the log file from s3d and it gave me a max bed temp error. Does anyone know what the upper and lower temp parameters are for the extruder and bed?

I haven't found that information anywhere in my searches yet.

5. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Max on the bed from the stock firmware is 85, which has a practical limit of ~80 due to overshoot.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The firmware is set to limit the bed temperature to 85C. The nozzle has a max on the firmware of I believe 245 with a minimum safe temp of 195.

The limit on the bed can be removed and upgraded to around 120C if you have a ribbon cable wiring. If you have a grey cable with connector you should not go above 85C.

For the hexagon hot end you're safe to go up to 300C. Minimum extrusion temperature can be set to around 170C. You can set it lower if you plan on printing with something like PVA, but PLA needs around 180C minimum.

Drewmaloy likes this.
  7. Zen

Zen Member

Any idea where in the firmware to change this and it there any reason the bed couldn't handle 90 or so. When I print Nylon it really helps to minimize shrink f I can ramp the bed up to 90 after a few layers.
    the printer has the ribbon cable for the bed so would like to take advantage of that.
    Pointing me to a post to edit the firmware would be great. Not something I have messed with before.
    Thanks

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

9. Zen

Zen Member

Mike Kelly likes this.