1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

The horror... the horror....

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Island Bill, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. collin

collin New Member

people like you mark, matt, tesseract and countless others make this forum indispensable. without the amazing volunteers id be lost along time ago.
    I hope i can contribute like this as I continue to learn and improve.

Edit: there are alot of people i didn't mention but printedsolid defiantly deserves a shout out he one of the best "monks running the show"

#41 collin, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
    3 people like this.
  2. collin

collin New Member

fixing this problem is reallly REALLLLY simple.
    Lets talk real fixes. no more bitching.

Do you have auto leveling or not?

@Island Bill

3. Island Bill

Island Bill Active Member

Collin, I did the work on the printer. My time bills out at $50/hr. That's time I could have been billing out on side projects easily. Don't go in the deep water if you don't know how to swim, lol. :)

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sounds like my boss. Saves $1000 on parts to spend $10k on payroll.

2 people like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Kinda cheap (depending on where you're at) really. :)

2 people like this.
  6. Island Bill

If by auto-levelling you mean that feature in MatterControl then yes, and I've used it. I've also levelled the bed on a bench, placed a water-tight skirt around it, and put in water to see if the bed is warped. It is. If you think a 3-point auto levelling reference can fix that, believe me buddy I'm all ears. Let's hear it.

7. Island Bill

Yeah, you're right about that Mike. Had I known what horror awaited me, I would gladly have spent the money on an Ultimaker II. I guess that's what I get for buying American ;) .

2 people like this.
  8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well it's what you get for not doing adequate research. You can have expectations as a consumer, but they should be based in reality. The only way to know they're realistic is to research and see what other consumers have experienced.

If you had asked us before buying the printer I would have steered you away. Same way someone who asks for the cheapest printer I suggest the printrbot metal.

If you want a printer with large build volume, low cost, and modability, the R3D doesn't have a comparison.

9. collin

collin New Member

Sounds l
    Ya... Exactly.
    Dude fix your attitude. You want help or not cause I fixed this same problem on my own printer and so has everyone in this thread it's easy but stop with the snyde remarks it isn't doing you any service. I was just like you my first couple fixes angery and frustrated. You'll find more people will help you if you are nice.

Anyyyyyyways I do not mean the auto leveling in matter contoll I mean this
    RoBo 3D Printer Automatic Bed Leveling:

If so this is a matter of just increasing your z offset factor if not...you can fix this with a screwdriver by screwing the bolt that trips the zendstop closer to the end stop.

10. collin

collin New Member

this guy

11. Island Bill

See Mike, I'm about to hoist you on your own fkn petard pal. I gave a detailed set of criteria and reasons why I chose the Robo3D in this very thread and foremost among them was print bed bed size. Sorry to have to rub you into that but as you say, that's what you get for not doing your research. ;)
    The precision of the parts I require is not aerospace caliber. I just need a printer that fkng prints a medium quality output with normal maintenance. As I have already said MANY TIMES in this thread (there's that research thing again, Mike), the Robo3D I received does not even do that. I recommend if you're going to shoot your mouth off at me about what I have and haven't done, you do YOUR research about what I have and haven't done.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Most of us (maybe not all, but most) had to do that same level of tweakage/tuning before getting to that level of print quality/satisfaction.

The forums are full of this. It can be gotten to, but it takes time and effort--it is not happening out of the box. Now days, I load the model click print and watch the perimeter. If it is good I walk away. 12 hours later it is done. Good quality and no hiccups. But a year ago... wasn't going to happen.

2 people like this.
  13. Jaeson Cardiff

Jaeson Cardiff Active Member

group hug.

CleanO2 Carbon Capture Tech

3 people like this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. collin

collin New Member

So @Island Bill
    I just told you how to fix go fix it. Test it and tell us what happened. Or pls leave.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

He's not looking for help from us. Just someone to put as a scapegoat since he can't be sure his criticisms are heard by team robo.

I dunno, but if I paid myself $50/hr I'd have made a smarter investment like the MakerGear M2

Though now I'm really just poking the bear.

17. collin

collin New Member

I still want to help this guy if he will fu**** let me. Lord

18. Island Bill

LOL! Ok, ok. B--O--3

19. Island Bill

Actually Mike, I thought you might be a good conduit into the guys at Robo 3D, so I decided to yell in here so they would hear there. lol

Now, it DOES appear that I may have solved the problem.
    Collin: I love ya man, but it was not a software levelling issue, something which I think the photos proved outright. I mean, how could it be that a print an inch wide would print well on the loops and also on the perimeters, and yet start barfing on the infill? I'm sorry for my acerbic replies, but it seemed to me that this much was evident from the photos. But thanks for pointing me in the direction of souped up auto bed levelling.

Mike: I owe you an apology -- not for what I said, but for allowing you guys to get under my skin so bad. I was/am very upset at Robo3D for their lack of courtesy and responsiveness. But that's not your fault.

Ok, I think -- I don't know for sure yet, but I think -- that the problem was a loose wire to the active cooling fan. While inspecting everything with the printer turned on, I noticed that the fan cut out a time or two when I touched the wiring bundle. After a little bit of tedious prodding the wire, I found a spot on the hot lead that reliable cut out the fan when I touched it. So I cut the wire, tinned it, soldered the leads together and shrinked it. The photo below is the result taken at exactly the same point in the print of the photos I posted earlier:
    2014-09-16_18-16-36_193.jpg

My theory is that the cooling fan on the print head cutting in and out was causing variations in the nozzle temp that were not enough to trigger a temp alarm, but just enough to mess with the clean consistent extrusion of material.

Any ideas?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Was it actually the nozzle cooling fan (the one strapped right to the nozzle) or the parts cooling fan (the one pointed at the printed part)?

If it was the parts cooling fan that can be an issue since it needs to be able to cool the part (certain layers more critical than others).
    If it is the fan on the nozzle that is crucial to keep heat from creeping across the heat break.

The parts cooling fan is the least important and some materials don't need it and not all layers always need it. It will turn on and off. The nozzle fan better NOT turn off .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.