1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Thermistor wire damage issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John H, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John H

John H Member

I just tried my longest print , which seemed to be printing awesome , about 1hr into it the print just stopped printing , After further inspection I turned the machine over to notice all the controls mounted underneath. What I seen was not good a blue fan bracket broken from shipping, the usb slot jammed in , and melted wire from the heat bed that was bundled very sloppily together , and the insulation melted other wires.
    I sent over 2 emails and still have not received a reply , As it looks the unit is done , I don't believe I have replace all these wires that are melted , I need those connectors the wire ,a diagram and the new fan bracket , and someone to respond back . Very heart breaking . From blank CD's with no software to broken parts to melted wires . I have been so patient :( now I have a big paper weight ) .. Can someone speak to them, and have someone get back to me asap .

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Suggest you email Robo tech support (yet again) with some pics of the damage. Maybe post the pics here too as it may be possible to help with a fix.

3. John H

John H Member

I already emailed them twice ,no response . Third day . Wish there was a phone number to call

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. John H

John H Member

Yeah Mark I sent them the message through there..

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If not for everything else, you could print the fan bracket.

It may not be as terminal as you think, the boards are pretty rugged.
    Would need pictures to even begin to sort it out.

If they get back to you that is probably the best approach if this is a new unit.
    Sounds like they are still suffering from shipping issues.

7. John H

John H Member

Love to print that fan bracket . But my printer is dead 100% done fried melted wires fused together .

8. John H

John H Member

#8 John H, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2014
  9. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

John can you post a photo of the melted wires? We have no idea how bad it is from that description. Can you tell where the damage started. Some in the past saw melting due to improperly clamped screw terminals on the RAMPS board. Is this where it started?

What does "usb slot jammed in" mean? Do you mean the SD card?

You don't really need the fan unless you turn on the heated bed. For PLA you can get by with out the heated bed for the most part if you are careful with prepping the bed. I did not have a fan for the first two months of use and had no problems.

Again, be persistent with contacting Robo support. Remember on the forum here we are just users trying to help you out.

The wiring is all here:
    http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4
    http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/c/ca/Arduinomega1-4connectors.png
    http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/f/f6/RAMPS1.4schematic.png

2 people like this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, the support is still the biggest gap.

Still, even with melty wires those boards are sturdy and likely most are fine.
    However it would need pictures for someone else to even begin to help out (and like I said if it is new, they should handle it, so keep trying to get a response).

The nice thing with this printer is the open source hardware and those boards/parts are available and relatively cheap.
    While that does not help YOU at the present, if you do get some experience with it then longer term maintenance is much more simple.
    Once out of warranty you can get parts all over the world (literally). The schematics and pictures for the boards are out there as well all which helps fix it if you need to.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The kickstarter ones came without the fans, but most of us added them after fact simply due to overheating on the RAMPS/Arduino set.

12. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

John,
    Just remember on the forum here we have heard and done all the complaining in the past. It won't help to complain to us. Very likely Robo3D won't see this. Let's just try to assess the problems and work toward fixing them.

#12 SteveC, Jun 27, 2014
  13. John H

John H Member

Yeah I sent them emails with no response . Coming on here in hopes one of the mods will contact the owners ..

14. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Post photos and we can help you get started.

15. John H

John H Member

Thanks . I found all the melted wires and replaced them . Just now .. 2 wires in total were melted because of one wire that burnt up ..The wire gauge was smaller than the wire going to the bed wires . I had some rc car stuff laying around and use that wire which in fact was the same gauge as the wire going to the bed .
    I also separated the wires because of conductive heat keep the hot of free air under the fan . Now I'm going to duct tape the broken fan bracket and print up a new one.

I appreciate all help from all you guys .. Thanks for hearing whine a bit .

#15 John H, Jun 27, 2014
    2 people like this.
  16. John H

John H Member

I thought all was good .. nope.. temp now reads but stays at 20 degrees it wont raise up.. now what?

17. John H

John H Member

3 emails to tech support and zero response .

#17 John H, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
  18. John H

John H Member

You guys on the forum are wonderful for trying to help me out .. Now I have no idea what to do..

#18 John H, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
  19. Magic-Goat

Magic-Goat Member

20. Magic-Goat

Magic-Goat Member

the heated bed staying at 20 degrees may be the same problem as me. check the thread i linked to, and follow the power lines to the power supply. If the Heated bed doesn't receive any power it just displays room temperature (about 20 degrees). However I'm not fixing mine until i get permission/help as i don't want to make it any worse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.