1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Thermistor wire damage issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John H, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Their service is (and has been) the poorest thing about this printer.
    Too bad about that since the printers have had Quality Control issues from the first batches.
    Which (naturally) makes for more support requests if you don't catch them...

Hopefully this is something they are working on staffing up for.

2. Magic-Goat

Magic-Goat Member

At least I now know I'm not alone in this, anyone got a digital copy of the warranty?

3. John H

John H Member

Well I finally was able to get in touch with Brandon who forward my mail to Jerry who is still looking into my issue . So right now I have no solution in sight. :(

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

A notice will be going out soon explaining the situation. The best solution robo3d has come up with is to cut out the connector and reconnect the wires together.

It's not ideal, but it's the surefire way to avoid the issue that was happening.

#24 Mike Kelly, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  5. Magic-Goat

Magic-Goat Member

Finally got a response myself (thanks to Mike). This solution is only for the printers with the new y axis. I still have the old one, so that seemed to throw Jerry off a bit. Waiting for a response with more advice now.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is conceivable (given someone else having RAMPS board issues on that output port/driver for the heated bed) that this is not solely a wiring design issue.

(just sayin'--they could be all unrelated, but coincidences are seldom that)

Whether it is or not, waiting for a centralized/tested solution is a better idea.

7. John H

John H Member

So far no return email accept for an email saying your order is postponed which I allready got my printer . My connector to the controller was melted and not the molex connector to the heat bed . So that idea won't work for me as I'm already reconnected . I just can't get the bed to heat up . Hopefully I get an email today with a replacement part on the way . It's what I wanna hear. Not another week . I'll be down a month before I get back up And running dose this mean I will get a month back on my warranty , because I'm going to need all the months I can get with this company .

8. Magic-Goat

Magic-Goat Member

My problem is with the connection at the power supply...how many places are there that have a tendency to burn out?

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

@Magic-Goat your issue looked like a short circuit or something. I've never seen one short out like that.\

@John H , as I mentioned above, they are removing the connector on all printers. You can either remove it yourself but R3D is not liable if something goes wrong. Otherwise sit tight and await recall instructions.

10. John H

John H Member

Mike is the connector your tAlking about how would you attach it to the controller ?
    [​IMG]

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

yeah that catching on fire makes no sense.

There's an absolute mess of confusion going on right now. I need you to explain whats happening with your printer, when you received it, and what was happening that led to the issue

12. John H

John H Member

Yes that's what melted . What I think what happened was In shipping the bracket that holds the fan underneath the unit had broken off , I read that , that fan was to prevent the wires from melting , we'll the fan was not in the direction of the wire so when I finally was doing my first print over an hr . About an 1 1/2 hrs I notice the printer stopped and the heat bed read 0 degrees . I replaced that wire the the same wire/connector and when I tried the printer , I know get a temp reading but the temp never goes up it stays at that same temp . So that's we're I'm at now .. Brandon said they are working on a solution .

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Okay let's take like 10 steps back.

Your situation is completely unique.

You still never answered when you got your printer. This is vitally important.

I need you to compile an entire post, including pictures, submit it here for me to read over and give grammar suggestions, and then we'll submit that to team robo.

This is NOT the situation they were looking for a solution for.

14. John H

John H Member

For what it worth Mike I sent Brandon and Jerry all my info , as you suggested .
    As I mentioned above my printers fan bracket was broken in delivery which led the fan to blow in the wrong direction and not toward the wires that melted .
    I only noticed this after my printer stopped working and I took a closer look underneath . In the picture above that was the melted wire , I had an exact replica of that wire , I replaced that wire shown in the picture above , after that wire was replace I turn on my printer and now I notice the heated bed would now show a reading other than zero, But the heated bed never moves up in temp .
    This were I'm at now.

15. John H

John H Member

The last thing Jerry asked me was when I activate the bed on and off do I see a red led light come on and off on the controller and yes I do . Haven't heard back since I sent him that email.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think you need to work on your issue clarity and directing the right information. I can't even begin to imagine what road they're taking you down becuase i'm not sure it's clear to them what happened to you and what you're still struggling with.

You need to work on your punctuation and being direct to the point. Make a bullet point list of everything that happened since you got your printer. You ramble in sentence form

I want to help you help them, but from what you've told me I barely have any idea of what's going on.

Spent like an hour or 2 compiling the issue so we can determine what the cause was and how we can help you fix it. At the moment I'm at a loss as to anything to suggest to you which is rare for me.

When did you receive your printer?

17. John H

John H Member

1. Printer is 1 month old.
    2. Wire melted underneath as shown in picture.
    3. Wire was replaced .
    4. Unit still dose not work ( bed not heating up ) .
    That's it , that's all I know .

printer is dead as of now

18. John H

John H Member

This is my reply from Robo3d

First and foremost, thank you very much for your order and thank you for being patient with us. We momentarily postponed the shipment of y axis upgrades because we needed to modify the heat bed wires and we are waiting for some parts to arrive from our supplier. We’ll get the upgrade kits shipping again when the new parts arrive, hopefully by next week. We are sorry for the delay. Thank you for checking in with us. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the meantime.

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Ok I don't think you really understand what I'm asking of you. From a tech support side you're giving almost no information for me to help you.

Something along these lines is my understanding of your situation, please add any relevant info

June 1st: Received fully functional robo3D with a broken fan holder
    <INSERT LINK TO BROKEN FAN BRACKET PICTURE HERE>

Printer was operated without a fan

A replacement fan bracket was never attempted to be printed

Fan was removed from printer

A long print was performed

PLA with a 70C bed

The heated bed thermistor was pressed against yellow polyswitch causing it to me

The Thermistor then shorted out causing the print to stop
    <INSERT WIRE DAMAGE PICTURE HERE>

The damaged wire was replaced with another connector

The connector was reinserted into T1 on the ramps board

With the thermocouple wire replaced the thermocouple now reads an appropriate temperature

Here's the information I don't know:

When only the bed heater is enabled from the computer, a red light is illuminated on the ramps board

Around 100kOhms was measured on the thermistor line (I don't believe you've done this)

The rest of the printer functions except the heated build plate (I don't know if this is true)

The resistance across the kapton heater is around 1.5 ohms (I don't believe you've done this)

12v is measured coming into the printer on the 11A rail

No voltage is measured coming off D8

http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/6/6d/Rampswire14.svg

If you do not provide them this information they will not know how to help you. Right now they clearly have no clue as to what you've asked them. Which unless you post it I don't know either so I'm assuming they are no where near on the right course.

2 people like this.
  20. John H

John H Member

2 weeks and I still have a big paper weight. I guess when you buy a robo 3d you need to have a few more items and skills to properly keep your printer working .
    Apperantly I have to buy an amp probe . And start testing resistance and you'll need a soldering iron and you'll have to buy parts from other stores . Just seems like I will never have my printer working ever.
    I so wish I never bought this printer . I wouldn't mind spending $1000 more for the makerbot knowing now what I know now about robo3d . Wish they would just refund my money because I didn't think I would have to have soldering skills testers and amp probes . And a few dead weeks with the printer doing nothing . I still have the box . I should of known when my printer came with out sofware , it was incomplete from day one , I didn't get the test prints I had to go to thingiverse when everyone else got the correct software I had to download a generic version . I have a brand new machine I should not have to preform all theses test . I should get a new unit that works . When I bought the printer was there a disclaimer saying you need to have these skills and extra tools in case your printer catches fire . I don't think this printer is UL approved .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.