1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Totally Dead Touch Screen

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Trevor C, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

No response from the touch screen having re booted from the computer after turning off for the night last night. Turned it on and dead as a do do. The screen is in the home mode but not responding to touch.

The computer can see the printer but I need to swap filaments and cant access the wizzards.

Any solutions anyone?

Trevor

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd suggest reaching out to Robo. Sounds like you may have a defective screen. Get them on the phone to start their troubleshooting process :D

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you are up to it, pop the bottom cover up and look in at the cables running to the touchscreen from the Raspberry Pi.
    Make sure everything it still connected.

Also, that is not a capacitive touch screen*... which means in layman's terms that you need to more firmly touch the screen sometimes to activate it. If you are already doing that then it is a bad screen. Poke around and see if it is responding anywhere at all. Go to the web page and schedule a tier-2 tech call or just put in a replacement request for the printer.

*those would cost a bit more...

4. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

Have done the wire fiddling with telephone support and it seems the web interface is running so SD card looks ok I will write another one just in case. it seems not to be the wires..damn. that would have been easy

I have booked the next slot for a level two tech support which I can do which is in 2 weeks time !

Great.

.....Idea......why not have the wizard accessible from the web interface. Then at least the touch screen could fail and I could still print. Lets see if that could be an p coming feature.

matheus likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just tossing this out here...

If you ultimately want a spare I am pretty sure this is the one on the R2: https://www.banggood.com/5-Inch-800...berry-PI-3-Model-B2-Model-BBAB-p-1054289.html (choose the US warehouse and it takes a week for delivery)

However I can't be absolutely certain. I have a C2 and while I can be certain about the replacement 3.5" screen on it, I can not on the larger 5" screen on the R2.

Replacing the screen on the C2 is quite easy as well but the R2 has more to it since the door frame is there and would need to be removed as well. Not sure how much extra effort that adds.

6. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

excellent i think a spare will be useful even if it is an external one.
    i am making headway having played about wiht a load of cables and am attempting another re boot as we speak!

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

Has anyone taken the front off the R2 yet to get to the screen. If so some ideas as to how this might be done might avoid me breaking any of the clips!

Screen on order

8. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

Does anyone know why the touch screen has both (I assume) an HDMI input and the ribbon cable control. Most of the touch screens that are available are driven by the ribbon cable (DSI port) only?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is probably HDMI for the video and ribbon cable for the touch screen.

That said, the smaller 3.5" screen in the C2 ONLY has the ribbon cable :)

10. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

Yes most of the ones available seem to be ribbon only

11. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I agree the back views and other features look like a great match. Let us know how it goes.
    And if you DO remove the screen, take some snaps of the process.

13. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I only use the back of my tweezers on the C2's LCD as a makeshift stylus. It's kind of: punch, punch, punch...

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The 5" LCD comes with a small white stylus. Not sure if that is in the box with the R2 or not. (it should be)

15. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

Ok I have found out a lot today.

1 the replacement screen is the exact replacement
    2 the replacement works when swapped over
    3 I cannot get the black bezel off the front to swap them over
    4 i have managed to get the original one working as there seems to be a dodgy connection on the hdmi into the screen. They are using the 180 degree hdmi converter which over time drops down and unplugs itself as the lead is being pushed down inside and gravity is, of course, taking effect. The natural thought to push it further in consequently further unplugs it.
    5 I would love to be able to get to the screen to secure this connection with a cable tie

So I live in hope that someone will be able to tell me how to take the front off in order to do it!

AND the little stick helps the operation of the screen !

#15 Trevor C, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  16. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

I now find that when printing, the same thing that happened before it all went blank is happening. The screen switches to the extruder temp screen and when you try to go back to the home screen < , it jumps back again. could be the screen is tight somewhere and pushing the corner as the "delete" button is flashing on the extruder temp screen. more investigation needed

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sorry, I think @WheresWaldo is in the process of getting an R2 so I expect he will do a tear down thread similar to what I did for the C2 when it gets into his corral. :) Not sure if anyone else has actually replaced the LCD in the R2 yet or done a tear down to get to it.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As silly as it sounds that is now my modus operandi ... I get a new printer and I do a complete tear down and reassembly just to make sure I know how to get to everything. FWIW : the C2 was a pain in the rear and I imagine the R2 is as well.

19. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

If I did that I would have a garage full of bits !....in fact I have a garage full of bits !!!!
    I could get a longer ribbon cable and find a hole to run it externally. Anyway we are still printing which is a good thing.

TC

20. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yep, that is the plan, should have an R2 by the end of next week, then next weekend to tear it all down and take pictures.