1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Troubleshooting Video Guides (Bed Leveling, Jams/Clogs)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Marquis Johnson, Jun 15, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

2. yufasa

yufasa New Member

Sounds like one of the limit switches is on the limit and opens under certain conditions.

Turn the rod while the printer is off so you can hear where the switch makes and breaks.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am going to add an observation I have just made. This is the result of having to replace the left switch on the X axis and then noticing a very pronounced difference in sound. The switch I used has a very distinct click when it is actuated, the Robo switch is nearly silent. When the X Carriage is on the right side of the bed the autolevel dance is nearly silent, when the head moves to the left side of the bed there is an audible click when doing the autolevel dance. In the middle the same click is heard. Inherent in the Robo designs and likely the reason for the two switches since they would level at different heights. This is a very strong reason for taking the time to perform the most accurate paper leveling you can do, near the four corners of the print bed. This is also the probable reason for many people experiencing one side of their prints squished just a bit more on one side than the other. Now that I know this I am going to replace the other Robo switch with a clicky one so I have audible feedback that the autolevel has done something.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

In some respects this is a Marlin limitation in how it calculates the auto leveling. Without distinct Xmax/Xmin, Ymax/Ymin sensing you have to assume that one axis is close to flat to do the math. The approach Robo has taken with the two switches across the X is good, but two inputs (rather than two in series to a single input) would be better.

I am not willing to poke the Marlin Dev beast with that proposition...it works pretty well now with that one caveat.

5. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

In the video concerning clogs he spoke of kit that can be bought to clear clogs. I googled and was not able to find it. Does anyone have a link to that site?
    thanks

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

It was by 3DPrintedLife on ebay http://ebay.to/1OructB. Looks like he ended it.
    But you can get what I use to clean mine. http://amzn.to/1TogrAj.
    You heat the exturder to 235, let it cool to 135 and pull the nylon out till it's clear.

You can use some small gauge magnet wire if you'd like, but it's not necessary.
    I would link some, but you can find it at most electronics stores.
    You'll need about 26-28 gauge to fit inside a 0.4mm nozzle.

John in MS and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

Thanks for the quick response. Let my small noob mind wrap around this. I am going to attack my nozzle clog by running more filament through it?. Just hard to grasp what is so special about this filament?

9. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

Ah! I didn't know you had a full on clog. Well you can either disassemble the exturder, or poke wire through the bottom to clear it out.
    The filament is strong and flexible so it pulls out remaining plastic in the extruder, of course you need to be able to run filament through first.

I'll try to make that video next week, this week I'm doing M-Codes.

John in MS likes this.
  10. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

Got it! I will find some wire