1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Turning printer off after print

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Domenic, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Domenic

Domenic Member

Letting my printer run for 10+ hours, even after the print is finished, can be a real pain. I was wondering if there is a way to automatically have the printer turn off after the print is finished. I was first thinking of doing it mechanically where the bed pushed a lever which pushed the power switch. Then I researched home automation, specifically the amazon dot. I was thinking that if I could plug the printer into a wemo switch. The dot can connect to the wemo switch and turn it on and of by command. I was thinking that I could set a timer or a specific time for the dot to turn the printer off. The problem with this is that it would be cutting the power directly from the cable and not the switch. I am wondering if cutting the power from the switch would damage the printers power supply in any way?

Thanks

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

One small consideration. In order to prevent filament jams you really need the extruder fan to run continuously after the print until the nozzle is back below the Tg temperature. You need to do this in order to prevent heat creep up into the cool end section. This should only take a few minutes but should be a standard practice. So if you can figure out how to shut down after a delay of a few minutes past the end of the print, that should take care of that particular issue.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Should be fine other than the printing considerations @WheresWaldo already pointed out.

4. MechEng70

MechEng70 New Member

How are you controlling your printer?

I use a raspberry Pi with octopi. Then a 5V relay (modified for 3.3V) is in the printer Power cord. This relay is in the NC position. This is wired to the pi. And in the Open when the raspberry pi is on. The printer can be turned off and on via octopi web interface.

Probably a little more involved than a wemo or zwave switch. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Wow! I am so LOW TECH on this one I'm laughing.
    I took a standard christmas tree lights timer (lamp timer whatever) and I plugged my printer into it. I note how long the slicer says it will take and I add about an hour to it, close enough. I've been using it for a few months now and have had no issues whatsoever.

Timer = less than $5 at any hardware store.,
    Might even be on sale now after Christmas.

Curtis Wolfe, Home_user, Geof and 3 others like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:) lowtech rulz

Home_user and Rigmarol like this.
  7. MechEng70

MechEng70 New Member

I agree that mine may be a little more high tech. ;)
    Went this route because I already had the raspberry pi controlling the printer (also has a camera to monitor the build remotely).
    I basically added the relay (< couple bucks) and code to the octopi.

Rigmarol likes this.
  8. Doug Meek

Doug Meek Member

This sounds interesting but how is the relay electrically connected to the Pi and what in Octopi allows you to control it? I have a Pi and Octopi but what in that interface allows this or did you add code to Octopi?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There commands in Marlin to trigger RAMPS I/O pins (unused ones) or you can do it all on the Pi.
    For our DLP that is how we control the shutter in Marlin -- a RAMPS I/O pin wired to a servo and an Mxxxx command to open and close

10. MechEng70

MechEng70 New Member

Actually quite easily. There is a power, ground and signal from the pi.

Start here.
    https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/wiki/Controlling-a-relay-board-from-your-RPi

11. Domenic

Domenic Member

WOW that is a good idea I will definitely try it out.

12. Domenic

Domenic Member

Very good to know. I would not want to damage the printer in any way.