1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Wall quality issues.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Oisin, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Oisin

Oisin Member

Thank you very much. I'll get that printing now and post some pictures tomorrow. Was Simplify3D worth it? Did it make a big difference to the quality of your prints?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes.
    Yes.

I have not once since starting with it had an actual slicer failure or problem.

I did open a ticket a little bit after I got it, but they analyzed and fixed a modelling error for me :)
    Not a slicer issue at all.

3. Oisin

Oisin Member

Something else I didn't even think to add: Will it take in to account my starting g-code? I have the autolevel code run at the start of every print since my bed isn't perfectly level. Will it execute your gcode after the start gcode or just ignore it?

4. Oisin

Oisin Member

I'm really interested to see how this compares with the free slicers then if that's the case!

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

it added my startup gcode (which included your offset) however... it is just gcode at this point so feel free to edit that if you need to or want to. You can see where the M565 is getting called so around there :)

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You should see:

G28; home X Y Z axis
    G1 Z5 F5000; will lift Z axis by 5 mm
    M565 Z-1.1; sets offset to 1 mm
    G29; runs auto-level
    G92 E0

at the beginning...

7. Oisin

Oisin Member

Oh yeah I see it. You have that 'G29 -Run autolevel' line in your code too.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, I converted both of my beta units to autoleveling. One has the new threaded rods and the other the R1 bed so between them.. it is like two R0.75's :)

So an R1.5 between them?

9. Oisin

Oisin Member

Lol just another .5 and you can trade them in for when the v2 comes out.

I was wondering if this is the correct speed for the first layer. It seems quite slow to me: Sorry for the potato quality.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It depends on what your layer height is. Simplify takes whatever your setting is (1200 mm/min in your case) and applies a slow-down factor (that can be tweaked) to the first layer. There are a lot of other optional settings (like layer height can be tweaked everywhere, temperature and fan speed as well).

11. Oisin

Oisin Member

I see, so I should set my first layer speed to be a fair bit higher than the print speed just for this case? Will it slow down the print in general because I noticed it was saying 26 hours instead of the 13 hours with Cura.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:)

No clue what is making the difference -- I can export the settings for that profile and you can compare them (it uses an XML file format).

There are a lot of buttons to push and knobs to tweak so ...

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Personally, that speeds seems a bit slow even for that resolution. However, wait and see how it turns out -- if it is good then the other things can be tweaked and tested. I use a small test model of whatever sort I am printing to get my settings dialed in.

14. Oisin

Oisin Member

Ok I'll let it do it's thing then :)

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the slicer is working correctly you may not need as much a reduction in speed for that layer height.
    It would need a bit of experimenting.
    Once you see if the walls are working then go from there.

I took a good close look at the sliced model in the 3D view and the walls look fine.

I would not print them at that resolution on the one printer because I have a 1mm nozzle on that one.
    The other one has a 0.25mm and certainly it could get good results with that. Your 0.4 will work fine, heck the 1mm one might work, but that would be pushing it IMHO.

16. Oisin

Oisin Member

I have a 0.25mm extruder on my machine right now too. I changed your code to add that in.

Just to change topics for a second, my housemate just offered to run power to the shed outside. I could run the printer constantly out there without worrying about noise. Only issue is that it's quite cold in this country and I don't bother with the top part of the printer so there's nothing for an enclosure to latch on to. Would an enclosure mean that the ambient temperature outside the enclosure is irrelevant?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the enclosure is heated, yes -- certainly.
    If not it would at least mean that the temperature inside the enclosure will be significantly higher than ambient.
    There is less space for the bed heater to heat up the air :)

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The 0.25 m extruder explains the speed reduction then. That makes more sense.

19. Oisin

Oisin Member

Ok. I might replace the cover of the printer in order to use the enclosure then.

Sorry for forgetting to mention that! I also usually put a 10mm brim around it since that guarantees that corners don't lift. I'd love to be able to use no brim at all, though.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Let's see what happens.
    Since this is effectively just a slicer change you can base your evaluation on that.