1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Wall quality issues.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Oisin, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Oisin

Oisin Member

I've ordered vibration dampeners and some high quality silent fans as well as lines the inside of the wardrobe that the printer is in with lots of duvets (not the best sound reducing material, I know). I haven't gotten the dampeners or fans yet, but the duvets have made a different in noise. Hopefully coupling that with the other things will make it fairly silent.

With regards to print quality, I actually went ahead and bought a copy of S3D. I printed a calibration cube and was hoping you could help me diagnose some errors. Similar things happen with every slicer except Cura. Weird breaks in the infill and the walls are just not straight, as if the next layer isn't actually placed directly on top of the previous one. I've been talking to Robo3D support for the last 4 months or so and essentially I'm on my own for now because they aren't helping a whole bunch. Maybe someone here can think of something I can't.

Attached Files:

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

This is one of the reasons I dislike jumping on the Simplify3D bandwagon, most of these issues (and those of others here) are directly related to settings and not the slicer in use. S3D cannot fix bad settings. It still all comes down to calibration and then test printing, then recalibration and test printing some more. Only then will you get consistent results.

Geof and Jimmy Husain like this.
  3. Oisin

Oisin Member

Right, but Cura uses the same settings and doesn't have the infill issues. The walls are still not straight, but that's probably an issue with the z-axis rods that Robo seem reluctant to do anything about.

4. Oisin

Oisin Member

Hi guys. I did a bit of tweaking and while the walls still aren't straight, the infill is printing properly. The top isn't, though. Anyone seen this before? I've seen ti and fixed it before but I completely forget how I did it. Any ideas? Adding top layers doesn't help. The middle one has 8 and the bottom one has 5.

Attached Files:

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

6. Oisin

Oisin Member

Thanks very much, Mark! Very helpful guide that I reckon will solve a lot of issues. It's already fixed the problem I was having. The only thing left is that damn ribbing that has plagued me since installing the lead screw upgrade (and before, it was just a different pitch). I've uploaded to Youtube what I think might be the cause. You can hear a weird knocking sound as the z-axis homes too. Do you think this could be causing the ribbing issues?

Attached Files:

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

8. Oisin

Oisin Member

I actually have that thread open and pinned in my browser since his ribbing looks the same as mine, just a bit worse.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'd suggest you see about a replacement then :)

10. Oisin

Oisin Member

Ok, a replacement set of rods is on the way :) Other than that, have you ever seen the issues in the images. I printed this last night. The stripes are actually little gaps where the plastic isn't touching. In one picture you can see a weird bulge near the bottom and in another you can see bumps arranged vertically that I think is a retraction issue on layer change. I'm printing another one right now with greatly increased retraction speed as a test.

Attached Files:

11. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I would play with two parameters, first, increase extrusion temp about 3°C the other is a result of aligning all layers to start at the same point and can be minimized the way you are doing it with retraction settings, or also by randomizing the layer starting point. Hard to tell if you are ever so slightly under-extruding.

12. Oisin

Oisin Member

Ok so what I've done is gotten replacement z-axis rods from Robo to fix my ribbing issue. It's lessened the ribbing (not fixed it) but in true Robo style, changing a component screws up a million other things, so now I'm getting some off features I wasn't getting before. Curling on the edges would indicate too high heat, but it's at 185 and lower stops the printer extruding. The fan is on full after layer 2.

Weirdly, my thermistor started playing up and my Y axis has become stiff in spots just from IMG_20160223_002104.jpg IMG_20160223_002136.jpg IMG_20160223_002146.jpg the z-axis change. You can breath on this machine and need to recalibrate the whole thing, lol.

13. Oisin

Oisin Member

Ok, z-rods replaced, y-belt replaced (again) and x-belt replaced (again). Bearings have been replaced and the thermistor has been replaced. All the rods have been oiled and an oiler added to the filament. Here's the result:

Attached Files:

14. Soulshine Surfboards

I was having similar issues. While adding LED lighting I noticed the z-rod supports were cracked. I filed a warranty claim and new ones were sent no questions asked. However when I measured the opening the new supports are 5/16 and the z-rods are 8mm. The crack in the old supports was opened approx .07mm, coincidence I think not. Anyway I drew up these supports, installed them and a set of z-rod stabilizer clips I found on thingiverse. I'm still having issues, due mostly to settings and inexperience, I think, However print quality has vastly improved.

Attached Files: