1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Waviness or not...That is the question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tesseract, May 12, 2014.

?

Do you now or have you ever seen waviness in your prints? If so what month did you get your printer

1. NO

14.6%
  2. Yes, earlier the August of 2013

6.3%
  3. Yes, September 2013

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, October 2013

16.7%
  5. Yes, November 2013

6.3%
  6. Yes, December 2013

2.1%
  7. Yes, January 2014

6.3%
  8. Yes, February 2014

8.3%
  9. Yes, March 2014

4.2%
  10. Yes, April 2014 or more recently

35.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

We are trying to gather data regarding this very troublesome issue the data may reveal some aspect we are overlooking. Please respond.
    Thanks

Do you have the waviness issue in your prints???

If you do please select the Yes that corresponds to the month you got your printer

If not simply check NO and leave a comment as to when you got your printer

If you used to see waviness but no do not please leave comments on what you did to alleviate it.

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY POSTS IN THIS THREAD ONLY SUPPLY PICTURES AN EXAMPLE OF OF YOUR CASE
    THEY WILL BE DELETED

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

No June 2013

3. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

i used to have this issue very badly and managed to get it to calm down alot but not get rid of it. The most effective thing i have done was i disassembled the whole x and z carriage. remove the threaded rods and removed the smoothed rods to. i tightened all the screws. removed the pulleys and made sure everything was perfectly on right and tight. sadly the issue is still here but looks abit better.

4. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

My hobbed bolt did not have even recess cut. It was off centered while getting cut so it ended up wobbly.
    Looks much better after replacing it. Almost perfect.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I can't recall ever having this issue, but we had to tear apart and reconnect almost everything after the printer came in and then swapped hobbed bolts almost immediately and more recently the hotend...so not sure if I would remember this. :)

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I presume by "waviness" you mean a repeating pattern of variation in the Z axis direction?

To minimise this waviness I

- replaced wobbly off centre couplers on both of the Z steppers
    - Replaced the threaded rods with 8mm as the couplers are designed for 8mm and will always be off centre and wobble if 5/16" rods are used.
    - added Z axis stabilisers ath the top which could be adjusted to fit properly then tightened up to keep the smooth rods rock solid.

I am not certain which of these changes gave the most benefit. Maybe all helped.

At various times I have also had loose x and y pulleys, loose Y axis idlers and backlash on the extruder large gear. These issues can also cause waviness in the prints as well.

IMO the root cause of the Z axis "waviness" is the Z axis smooth rods are not solid enough on the stock Robo. There is a lot of mass moving quickly on the X axis and the Z smooth rods need to be held absolutely rigid at both the bottom and the top.

ATM I can't check my Robo as I am traveling, but I am planning to check if any Z axis rod wobble is there (probably using a mirror attached to the top of the Z rod and laser reflection technique)

7. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

Waviness yes... when I print a huge flat area like a circle, I get diagonal ripples, like a pond has disturbed the water. I have yet to figure out how to fix this.

8. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Jan 2014. Waviness YES, but not as bad as some of the reports I think. I've noticed that the top of the threaded Z rod moves in a circular fashion rather than holding vertical. My assumption is it's either an issue with the couples or the rod not being straight. Have just looked at the couples and only 1 threaded Z rod has plumbers tape wrapped around the bitten where it connects to the couple. Check later if it's both or only that rod that circles.

2 people like this.
  9. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Just to make sure we're all on the same page for the discussion:

Ribbing.jpg

The lines occurring a approximately 1.5mm intervals along the z-axis is what we're referring to.

(Ignore the other defects in this print. I was playing with different temperatures at the time of this print to see if they had any effect.)

10. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

No. Dec 2013.

11. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Yes Jan 2014. But not bad at all like the picture montravont showed. Just in the surface finish.
    [​IMG]

12. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

What we are doing now in house is loosing up both screws on the couplers, moving the coupler down so the bottom of the coupler is flush with the middle plate. Then tightening down that bottom screw on the coupler. Then making sure the threaded rod is seated all the way down in the coupler. Then tightening down the top screw of the coupler.

We have tried many different variations of coupler adjustments. This one seems to be the best.

4 people like this.
  13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

No, Oct 13

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

The stock helical couplers are basically axial springs and have the potential to wind up depending on the torsional load.

Have you tried different types of couplers eg oldham or spider?

15. Trenton Smith

Trenton Smith Member

Nope! October 29

16. Kadows

Kadows Member

Got my printer today. Everything works great and I am amazed by the result. Especially considering I'm totally new at this! No problem with sticking to the bed or warping. I do however, have some really bad waves. Se the picture below. My Z-axis wobbles like crazy!! I plan on printing the stabilizers tomorrow, maybe that will help a little bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. bret4

bret4 New Member

My first print looked as bad as Kadows. The biggest cause of the waves was the couplers for the z axis screws. The screws were bent and the z smooth rod mounts were cracked. I replaced the z mounts with ones I printed. Then replaced the z screws with M8x1.25 screws that are much better than the stock ones. I made my own screw couplers that are perfectly true. Also replaced all the 5/16" bearing rods with case hardened and ground 8mm rods. That removed a lot of slop from all the bearings. All the screws that hold the motors were loose. They were too long so I added a flat washer under each one so now the motors do not float all over the place. Also the head was loose in its mount. Replaced the screws that held the head in place with longer ones. That fixed that.

Now after a month of messing around it prints just good enough to make parts. Still wouldn't bother trying to print a figure like the tree frog. It just isn't good enough of a machine for that kind of work. Maybe after I replace the y axis drawer slides with nice rod bearings it will be a great machine. It was a long road fixing everything up but now at least I can load a program and print. Great for my quad copter project.

18. Bob64

Bob64 Member

How'd you make your own screw couplers?

19. bret4

bret4 New Member

I made them out of aluminum on a lathe. They are the same size as the original ones but the hole through them is the same size as the motor shaft on each end. This makes it easier to be sure that the hole is true on each end. Then I machined 12 inch long 8mm x 1.25 threaded rod on one end to the same size as the motor shaft. This insures that the threads will run true with the motor shaft. I also turned up the threaded rods in the lathe and checked over and over to make sure they run true. Now I no longer have wobbly threaded rods on my machine.

Even with all the things I have done it is not the best printer I have owned. I'm pretty sure that replacing the y axis drawer slides with nice rod bearings will improve things to a useful level.

I hope that robo 3d improves their printer with all the ideas they are getting from everyone on these forums. But with that said it's a shame that they just do not seem to have the knolage to figure it out themselves.

20. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Kadows,

what was your order number?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.