1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

We The Builders - Crowd Sourced Statue

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Printed Solid, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Came across this neat project yesterday.
    http://www.wethebuilders.com/
    They've taken a large model of a statue of George Washington and cut it up into smaller printable chunks. People can sign up to print a piece. The statue will be on display at 3D print show in NYC on 2/15.

I made two pieces out of colorfabb woodfill filament.
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  2. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

So in this day and age of broke people and companies, these guys get you to use your own resources and expense to print out something that already exists and all you get in return is your name on it?

Sucker born every minute. I really don't see a point to this. You don't get to keep it and your not compensated for it. Why do you find this appealing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Wow. That was amazingly rude.

2 people like this.
  4. Peter Krska

It seems that you're being taken advantage of. Where's is the rudeness if someone doesn't agree with this? It's is an opinion.

5. cosber

cosber Active Member

Gosh, now I feel foolish for donating my idle computer time to the Seti Project.

2 people like this.
  6. Peter Krska

You should be. SETI has millions of $$$

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Geez what's going on here today.

People do this because they like to be part of things. No matter how much money a company or business has it's never enough to do everything they want to. By allowing crowd sourcing they give people the chance to feel like they're contributing to something bigger than themselves.

Some people live life as if money wasn't their defining choice, but rather the impact they leave for others.

Money is a necessary evil to experience the rest of your life. Experiences are all you have at the end.

4 people like this.
  8. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Thanks Mike. That's a good explanation. It's a little sad you had to make it.

It's almost like asking 'why do you guys hang out on this forum and help other robo users when robo isn't paying you.'

4 people like this.
  9. Peter Krska

The above subject has nothing to do with Robo 3d printers. Why are you taking it so personally?

It's a contest or something like that. Nothing to do with helping you improve your Robo3d printer.

Helping in the forum is what a community is. Complete with different opinions. No need to get upset about it.

I can see there is something weird about it. First off, why G. Washington? What happens if I print the same part as you? Who gets there's posted? The logistics sound confusing.

Let's
    Just stick to debating or discussing the pros and cons rather that slamming an opinion.

I asked a valid question and Mike gave a good response.

10. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

Yeah, gosh, why would you volunteer your free printer time and a bit of materials to be a part of something that has no practical use? It's not like making cooperative art has any merits or interesting points to it, or that participating in something that promotes 3D printing is something that people who like 3D printers are interested in. I mean, creating something for the sake of creating is sooooooo done. 3D printers are really only used to make completely unique things that nobody's ever made before, that are functional, and that you're getting paid for.

3 people like this.
  11. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

You may have "asked a valid question" but you expressed your opinion and stated that those who follow this project are "suckers". What you asked was more of a rhetorical question than one looking for an answer.

12. Peter Krska

So I guess all of you are joining this project?

13. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

I'm in the uk so I would not be able to send off parts there cheaply but I support it. It also brings people out of the frame of mind that- 3d printer= gun making. That all you hear on the daily mail.

14. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

Were it not George Washington as the subject but something I personally found cooler/more of interest, and were somewhere I could actually go see the finished work (not unlikely, as 3d printing is relatively big here), sure, I'd happily contribute a piece or two.

15. Printed Solid

Staff Member

haha Topsy, I also wish it was something a little cooler, but I think just seeing all of the different pieces from different printers at different resolutions, print orientations, colors, and materials will make old George look pretty chaotic and interesting.

2 people like this.
  16. cosber

cosber Active Member

Maybe Krska would change his mind if they were doing a print of Felix Potvin.

17. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Krska did you miss the fact that the statue will be displayed at the 3D print show in New York City? Just a show completely centered around, I don't know, something called 3D PRINTING?
    You're right. What a waste of time. Why would any of us want to be anywhere near a place like that? And god forbid have a part in it even?

My city has a huge yearly event called Artprize, artists from all over the globe come every year for a chance at some serious prize money. $200,000 for first place.
    One popular piece this past year was a large statue built of thousands of nails that each nail was hammered into the shape of a bird. Put together they made a huge statue of a man caged with wings. Completely finished in all black.
    Here: http://www.artprize.org/bill-secunda/2013/in-my-soul
    You couldn't even tell it was made of birds until you looked very close.
    The focus of the piece was that if you had hardship in your life be it a loss of a loved one, addiction, abuse, anything painful you have lived through, the artist would let you paint one of the tiny black birds from black to white. A raven into a dove as the artist put it.
    In the end the dark statue turned into a white angelic figure and the cage was removed, completely from one person at a time giving a piece of themselves.
    The hundreds of people that contributed to painting the piece white didn't get paid a thing, The artist was in the running for a ton of cash but do you think they gave that a second thought?

Are they all suckers too?

Or maybe they were just happy to be a part of something that other people were looking at and something that made them feel better about something painfull in their lives.

Sure it's not the exact same as the George Washington thing, but it's a hell of alot closer than your point making it all about money.

2 people like this.
  18. Printed Solid

Staff Member

It was awesome. Will post more on 3D Print Show later. 2014-02-15 11.06.10.jpg 2014-02-15 11.06.14.jpg 2014-02-15 11.06.32.jpg

3 people like this.
  19. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

20. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Sweet! So jealous. I wanted to go so bad but just way to far.