1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Weird surfaces on certain angles

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TaylarRoids, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What layer height is that? Generally thinner layers handle angles better

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, that is not the issue.

3. TaylarRoids

TaylarRoids New Member

The recent photos are 0.3 layer height, but I'm pretty sure the original charmander was 0.2. I'll do a test with 0.1 real quick just to verify.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I would place 0.3 mm layers at the upper limit of what is reasonable with a 0.4 mm nozzle, especially if you are slightly under-extruding.

5. TaylarRoids

TaylarRoids New Member

Good to know, so is 0.2 much more reasonable?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

My rule of thumb is 30-60% of the size of the nozzle, but others ( @Printed Solid ) will vociferously disagree.

Printed Solid likes this.
  7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

vociferously disagree might be a bit overstating my opinion. That's a good sweet spot for general printing, but yeah I print outside of that range quite a lot especially on the low end with large diameter nozzles (like .1 - .2 with a .8mm nozzle).

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

But the low end is much more forgiving that the high end. I will stand by my statement that 0.3 mm is at the high end for a 0.4 mm nozzle. My go to layer size with a 0.4 mm nozzle is 0.25 mm layer height. faster than 0.2 mm and not as prone to delamination as 0.3 mm.

9. TaylarRoids

TaylarRoids New Member

Alright so after A LOT of experimenting, I've finally got the curling down to a manageable level. The picture attached is two spheres (flipped upside down for pic) that show the effects of curling. They're both 50mm in diameter, the one on the right is 0.3mm resolution and the left is 0.1mm. The big difference besides layer height is the left is plane cut slightly higher and it had a massive server fan running at full blast pointed right at it, as well as basically zero bed heat. I used glue stick to get the no heat one to stick. Also, I printed two of the left at a time to increase layer cooling time.

Moral of the story, if you're having curling issues:
    -Check extruder temp.
    -No bed heat (use glue stick).
    -Increase layer cooling time (print multiple if possible).
    -Verify extruder capabilities, 0.3 was too much for mine.
    -Big a** fan.

I turned off the fan after the curling layers were done to help with layer adhesion.

Thanks for your help everyone!!

Attached Files:

Mike Kelly and robert sanchez like this.
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Glad you are figuring this out. From the second picture I would have told you that the layer height was too big. It just doesn't stick well on the outer perimeter because it has to move too far outward during printing to maintain your shape without using supports.

Plus my personal opinion is that 0.3 mm layers with a 0.4 mm nozzle is the upper limit and won't work in all situations, such as when the overhang angle is too steep. I use about 50° as a rule of thumb and force the slicer to print additional perimeters if needed to help support the overhang. Or just print with supports.

Both @mark tomlinson and @Printed Solid gave suggestions about layer height ranges acceptable for use with a 0.4 mm nozzle. They are both correct depending on the actual model. A model with sloped walls can print fairly thick if the deviation from 90° is small. In general the more the walls slope the smaller the layer height needed to support the angle.

#30 WheresWaldo, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Annnnnd there you go :)

3D printing is still complex. We just do NOT have platform and application support to the level where this can be 'brainless' yet.

Printed Solid likes this.