1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What do I want for Christmas?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Todd Wessendorf, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Todd Wessendorf

Todd Wessendorf Active Member

The dual head extruder module Robo3D is using on the home page to sell the R2 to people, making them think it comes with two print heads.

robo.PNG

Park A. likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

be careful what you wish for.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Geof and Kilrah like this.
  4. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Yup - I too made part of my decision to buy the R2 based on the 2nd extruder expandability, but am now basically thankful they didn't release it yet since that allowed me to find out about the drawbacks of that setup and the alternatives in the meantime.

Shattered and Geof like this.
  5. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

I know NOTHING about 3D printing - and when I found out about adding the 2nd extruder - I COULDN'T WAIT to get it.

Now that I've been wrestling with the Mosaic Palette+ and multi-color printing ... I'm happy to wait on the 2nd extruder.

Geof likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

People new to 3D printing often seem to think that if one extruder is good, two is better. :)
    Not really the case for most printers and even on printers that is does work well it is a lot more work on the modeling and slicing side.
    Unless you need multimaterial it is usually easier to paint ...

Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

most times (even with a dual extrusion machine) when I need different materials its a serious pain to design. Basically flexibles dont stick to anything...you have to design in a "lock" into the design which then becomes the weak point. Its gets really crazy (and expensive) when alot of the times (imagine a tire) can be made in 2 pieces and assembled. dual color is nifty, I'm guilty of printing a ton of dual color stuff for clients to ooh and ahhh at :D but once those are printed, I dont print it very often :D

mark tomlinson likes this.