1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

When is the dual extruder upgrade kit coming for R2?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Nick223, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Agreed. I don't have another printer, so I haven't had any experiences with other support systems/communities. I am more than grateful for this forum; I wouldn't have made it this far without it.

supercazzola likes this.
  2. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Once Robo started to get backing from the Australians, things started to change. The “elites” were done, and the promises, broken. The family here in the community is just that - a family. I appreciate the ability to have communication and help from folks here. But I agree, Robo lost my trust, and I am not sure I would spend more money with them.
    They are probably the same as most other companies. But what hurt me was how they were better, once. But that is just a distant memory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Meh, still (slightly) better than most of the other printer vendors I have been (and still am) dealing with -- @Geof has more insight there because... way more printers :) (I still only have 6 -- not all Robo by any stretch)

Geof likes this.
  4. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

The other thing to keep in mind is that Robo isn't the best open-source citizen either. When they do release their modifications, they don't make much effort in trying to upstream them, and they seem to change their minds about licences on their own software (RoboLCD, for example). Which by the way is murky legal ground; OctoPrint is AGPL, and RoboLCD is a plugin for it, so it should most likely be AGPL or a compatible license too (I say most likely because I'm not a lawyer or in any way legally trained, but this is the general view in the community). Robo flat-out refused to provide me with the source when I requested it.

And let's not even get into the quality of their software or the "phoning home" that folks in the forum have found out it does.

There are far better companies out there in terms of open-sourceness, which even go as far as opening up their *hardware*, let alone all of their software.

I like my R2 now that I've spent time and money modding it to how it should have shipped, but I'm going with a company that gives back to the community next time around.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@supercazzola It started before the Australian company invested.

@sgomes My R2 is working well also, I disabled all the plugins that "phone home" so I should be safe. The bigger issue I have now is that not one single portion is self upgradeable. The not being able to upgrade OctoPrint really irks me the most.

6. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

I gave up on their image altogether. Started with a clean install of OctoPi and I configured it to work with the R2. Then I got the latest version of RoboLCD from one of the links floating around in the forum, downloaded it, and hackily modified it to work with the latest OctoPi. Works okay-ish, apart from some bugs; I don't particularly feel inclined to do further work on it, since I can't really release it :-/

Happy to share any configs or tips if you're looking to go vanilla too, though!

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

That discussion is for another thread.

supercazzola and sgomes like this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Robo has always been a bit better than pretty well all the other OEMs I’ve dealt with.

Ex- my first issue was a thermistor issue with my R1 (800.00 printer at that time). I asked for two to avoid downtime, they understood and warrantied me a hot end and 2 thermistors.

When I bought my 3k Ultimaker it arrived shifting layers. Never heard back from support (luckily I bought from a helpful reseller) then the PTFE adapter for the hotend feed died a few months later... a 10.00 part- it’s not under their warranty and I had to purchase and pay shipping.

BCN sigma-2650.00 when I bought- constant calibration issues- no resolution after months with support- a year later I got it printing reliably with a software update they pushed through when I bough upgrades from them.

GCreate Gmax-3500.00- arrived and worked fir a few hours then was down with wonky prints and constant issue. The support gave me the runaround fir a few weeks- I gave up tire the machine down until I found issues with the assembly (arrives fully assembled). Met the owners at a trade show- they hooked me up with some parts and restructured the support team I had dealt with. They seem to have solved the issue on new machines.... but my new machine was not that experience.

I could go on :). There’s a reason I have multiple Robo’s and one of the other vendors machines.

Not saying Robo doesn’t have issues, just giving my experience- fwiw the way I was treated was way before I volunteered (by volunteered I mean @mark tomlinson forced me :p ;) ). This community was also a huge bonus.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

My experience with our Delta (SeeMeCNC) was pretty similar and I wrote it up in another thread :)
    $1800 for zero real support (and it took weeks to get responses) once I wised up and bought spare parts elsewhere I was able to get it going.

Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.