1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

When to replace BuildTak, and what are cleaning best practices?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Simon Cousins, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Simon Cousins

Simon Cousins New Member

Please excuse the newbie question; this is one I've searched (including on BuildTak's website) but haven't yet found a consistent guide. Question is relevant to my new R2 (December 2018) using the Flexplate system and printer-standard Robo-branded BuildTak.

When does one know that the BuildTak printing surface needs to be replaced?

Additionally, what are best practices for cleaning the surface between prints?

Thanks in advance for advice.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I use denatured alcohol

Geof likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

When you cant clean it and get good adhesion- its not a good answer but it varies so wildly that nobody can really put an hour mark on them. I've had some that die in a few hundred hours and others that last a few thousand. Replace as you see fit :D

Iso alcohol (rubbing alcohol) 70% is more than find I'd think. I typically use the rough side of a "green and yellow" kitchen sponge when cleaning, scuffs up the surface and promotes adhesion

fair warning on buildtak- some materials stick way to well (flex, PET (Ngen/XT) and Polycarbonate will fuse and never come off. If you run those materials use some glue stick on the bed as a "interference layer" basically a layer of adhesion that will keep you from fusing to the buildtak.

5. Simon Cousins

Simon Cousins New Member

Thanks for the excellent advice, all! Alcohol and a green scourer sounds perfect.

Geof likes this.