1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Why is it trying to print 10 inches above??

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by vm3dsol, Nov 26, 2015.

1. vm3dsol

vm3dsol New Member

Hey guys, first post, had my machine for about 10 hours now. I can not for the life of me understand why z axis will not recognize that it is almost at its Z max while printing. I noticed online that it says not to upgrade the firm ware on the the robo plus. Has any one else encountered this?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

They don't have it clearly posted and there are likely no updates of real import.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum!!!!

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

10 inches? is it printing outside the enclosure :p

5. vm3dsol

vm3dsol New Member

lol no it was not but i was hoping for some attention. now that the holidays are over i got a chance to finally play with it. I got the first layer thickness almost perfect, after 2 hours of meticulously playing with the limit switches. And now this is what my circle looks like! I guess its time for bed, ill try tinkering again tomorrow. Thank you guys for the quick response the other day, i look forward to my journey with my robo.

Attached Files:

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If it's successfully probing the bed at all 9 points then you need to reduce the Z offset some more.

7. vm3dsol

vm3dsol New Member

yes it is, and have the gcode running in the terminal (mattercontrol) and all the points are within .06 of each other. I tried lowering it .1 and then i wasn't getting any extruding (as if it were to close to the glass). I attempted printing that circle about 15 times, with minor adjustments between either one.

When you push the z+ button for 1mm increments, does your printer move a true 1mm? I saw your other post about checking the z stepper bits but mine was correct at 2560. Mine seems to jump up much higher than that. Im going to bring some gauge blocks home tonight to run them under the head to see. the problem also looked like it wasnt extruding fast enough. I have a makerbot at work so im familiar with a lot of problems but this is strange to me the way its just stringing a pentagram more or less and not following the circle.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do you have an R1+ With integrated lead screws? AKA no helical couplers? Quick way to tell is if your hex nuts for the Z axis are brass

9. vm3dsol

vm3dsol New Member

yes that is correct i have the R1+

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Then 2560 is way too much. Should be 800

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. vm3dsol

vm3dsol New Member

well this all makes a lot more sense than. should the X n Y also be 800?

Also did i miss something or is there no z max travel? Unfotunately i hit the z+ button one to many times and it jacked the Z against the top of the machine. Im guessing if there is a max travel, being off that far in the steps is probably what caused it

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

X and Y are 80. These values are calculated based on the pulley the printer uses.

The Z is 800 because it uses TR8*4 (4mm per revolution on an 8mm rod)

Learn more about step calculation here: http://prusaprinters.org/calculator/

There is a max Z travel defined in the firmware, but iirc it's set too high so you'll still end up crashing sometimes. Though your Z steps being wrong definitely contributed. It also depends on if the carriage knows where it is in the world, and if it was in relative or absolute mode when sending the command

13. vm3dsol

vm3dsol New Member

Thanks mike your the best! tr8 im assuming is the industry call out for a 8mm rod with a 4 acme pitch? just trying to gather all the information i can. also where can you find the pulleys, is there a parts diagram or break down online that lists all this?

Also are there any other settings i should be worried about? I feel like mattercontrol should have had that 80 and 800 in their, is was 800, 800 and 2470 from the factory

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah TR stands for trapezoidal cut, aka Acme thread, 8 is the diameter and 4 is the thread pitch. They're actually 2 start so if you measure the thread it would be 2mm pitch because there's 2 different grooves.

Learn more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapezoidal_thread_forms

I'm kinda surprised that their steps for x and y are 800. That confuses me a lot, I'll try and find out more