1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved WTF is going on

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jbigler1986, Feb 22, 2015.

1. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Resolution was .2. Settings were posted previously. Only differnce is the temp I believe. Since when I posted the profile i was using ABS.

2. jbigler1986

Is this how the first few layers should look?

Attached Files:

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You're a little low. Increase your offset by like 50 microns or maybe less.

4. jbigler1986

Ok. Wasn't sure if it would take 50 microns. I will change it to -.45 or -.55 don't remember where I have it

5. jbigler1986

What causes this? This is the 2nd time after about an hour or 2 of printing that is happened.

Attached Files:

6. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

you mean goop? a couple things...

You're in contact with the material in motion, it kind of scrapes off on the head. That can be mitigated greatly by perfect fine tuning.

Stringing likes to wrap around everything.

You might have a leak, if its coming from inside the silicone boot.

Fine tune- temps, extrusion volume, heights.

pull the silicone boot and ensure its not full of plastic. If you can't get it off cold, its full of plastic.

If you mean parking the head. You'll need to expound on what's happening.

7. Tanbam

Tanbam Member

Definitely check that boot. I think a huge number of folks with the hex hot end have a leaky joint between the heat break and the heater block. All it needs is some tightening while hot, but it doesn't become a problem until you've put some hours into it. Once it starts, it'll keep contaminating your prints until you fix it, and if it's gone on long enough, it could start jacking with your thermistor readings as the plastic works its way into the thermistor hole and starts to turn into carbon...

8. jbigler1986

It's not coming from anywhere but the nozzle. I think i need to add an oiler. We will see if it finishes this 8 hour print. If it doesn't I'm adding an oiler as I think it's just getting to sticky and the PLA ends up clogging the nozzle after a while. Prints under an hour don't have the issue.

9. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

so your "issue" is plastic on the end? Clogs don't leak. you're just getting plastic on it. That happens. if its not extruding, please say so.
    If it has globs on the end and jams.. your layers are not right.

10. jbigler1986

So I woke up this morning to 2 big swirly balls of filament and spaghetti. There was a ball about the size of a gold ball stuck on the hot end dragging along the bed. It was hard to pull off. I pulled it off. Pulled out the filament. Clipped the end and put it back in. Once it started extruding again it came down in a straight line. Before when I would manually extrude it would come out and kind of wrap around the hot end. So I do think that the hot end was "dirty". By the ball of filament getting stuck on me pulling it off I think it pulled out the clog/dirty part in the hot end as well. I printed an oiler after that with no issues. Added the oiler and started the 8 hour print again. Will see how it goes when I get home.

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Dirty and/or a bit too hot. Either can cause that.
    (by dirty I mean plastic debris like your photo -- I clean mine periodically)

12. jbigler1986

I wouldn't say to hot because the temp is the exact same. I would say dirty. What is a good way to clean the nozzle? I know people say they use acetone but I didn't think that worked for PLA. Maybe I'm wrong.

#72 jbigler1986, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Heat it up and wipe it off.
    Obviously you need to do this with a thick material that will not melt or catch fire immediately :)
    You don't have to get it all the way to printing temp. For PLA 170 was enough.

You could use M.E.K. for PLA, but nothing works quite as well on PLA as Acetone does for ABS.

#73 mark tomlinson, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
  14. jbigler1986

Is it good to clean the inside of the hot end every once is a while?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nope. The only thing on the inside of the hotend should be the glaze that seasoning would create.
    If you mean inside the extruder mechanism... sure, feel free to remove any loose junk from up there.

2 people like this.
  16. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

SHOULD be. and seasoning SHOULD build up after a while if it's actually working. but pouring solvents in the extruder won't fix the things that shouldn't be there.

17. jbigler1986

I added the oiler. Added to much oil though. I came home to this wonderful picture. Lol. The bed was very slippery with oil. Woops. Got it all fixed now. The oiler that is.

Attached Files: