1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved x,y,z directions not working- new ramps board

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by bcamaro1, Jul 15, 2015.

1. bcamaro1

bcamaro1 Member

I installed a new ramps board and thought I connected all the wires correctly and downloaded the firmware, but I am having trouble getting the extruder to move in the x,y,z directions. The printer turns on, the LED lights illuminate, the extruder feeds the filament, the printer connects to my computer, the SD card is good, and the bed heats up. Unfortunately, the printer doesn't move along any axis. It's just beeps really loud. When manipulated manually via the computer controls it just gIves off a continuous loud beep. I only have a few days off at a time and need those days to print. I really don't want to spend time troubleshooting. If this can be resolved within the next few days it would really help.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Send the M119 command to the printer (it is GCode) from the console in whatever software you are using. It will make the printer spit out the status of the end-stops (like the X/Y/Z ones) and the X end-stops are what you care about. Are they showing open? If so it may be a bad switch or a loose wire.

For MC:

http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/Terminal

Here is an example someone posted of what it looks like:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...ion-wizard-not-working.2941/page-2#post-24867

It might be thinking that one or more of the endstops is already 'made'

3. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

@mark tomlinson ehat about tuning the potentiometers on the motor controllers??

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the end strops are not triggered that would be one of the next things to check.

5. bcamaro1

bcamaro1 Member

I typed in M119 and it did not say mantric was triggered just said that the x, y, z endstops are open. do you think there motor could be connected wrong to the ramps board?

Attached Files:

6. bcamaro1

bcamaro1 Member

I recently installed a new ramps board and connected all the wires and downloaded the firmware. However when I try to move the extruder in the x, y, or z direction, the extruder makes a beeping sound. I tried to use the M119 code but didn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What do you mean M119 doesn't work?

If there's even cause for you to think that, it's most likely the issue

Frankn likes this.
  8. bcamaro1

bcamaro1 Member

when I typed in M119 into the code and ran it, it just said that the x, y, z directions are open but thats it. I have not checked to tune the potentiometers, how do I do that? turn the screws on the motor controller on the ramps.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. bcamaro1

bcamaro1 Member

I took the bottom off the printer to manually adjust the screw on the POT's however I am still hearing a loud beep for all axis. I tried to adjust the screw a few times but no matter what orientation I rotated it the beep would still continue if I tried to move it in repetier host.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Did you reload the arduino software (the printer 'firmware')?

12. bcamaro1

bcamaro1 Member

I uploaded the firmware before I adjusted the POT. I am still getting a reading on the thermistor and beaded bed and I can heat both of them up, however nothing else works. can you send me a link for the correct firmware, just in-case the firmware I uploaded was wrong.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member