1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z Axis - Marlin "Baby Stepping"

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Ziggy, Jul 1, 2014.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I gave you the commands you needed in post 56. Mattercontrol has a terminal screen. S3D has a control screen (although I have never used it) but that is where you type in the commands and the printer should respond with an OK message each time.

2. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

I found where to put those. I have a m565-.80 set z offset code already in there that is applied to my .gcode files and if I print off the S3D program. I just tested and saw where you were talking about. It did say “Ok” after they ran. I guess I need to look up how to save make and save the EEPROM to my board so I don’t have to save the code to my gcode files for each different printer for each different z offset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If EEPROM is enabled M500 will save what is currently in volatile memory to EEPROM.

Geof likes this.
  4. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

I ran the M565 Z-0.77 command from MC, it said ok. I checked it again and confirmed it took. It did. I ran M5000 and it said ok. I set my new gcode to 0 offset and ran the code from my lcd and it was riding on the bed. Grinding the filament. I checked in tune in the lcd and offset was at 0. Maybe I don’t EEPROM enabled??

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You can't set the offset to zero, you have to remove the offset line from your g-code completely if you are saving it to EEPROM. This is how it works

Start printer and the printer will put the Marlin firmware defaults into memory. If EEPROM is enabled it will then read the EEPROM and replace all the memory settings with what it read in EEPROM. If you have it in g-code then it will place those settings in memory and replace what was already there.

6. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

I saw that in my configuration.h eeprom was not enabled. I have to uncomment it. I did take the m565 line out of my .gcode. I should have said that instead of saying I set it to zero. I meant that I have nothing there. When I run the M5000 from MC and it says “OK”, my M565 command is out of my .gcode, I should be good to go then, right? Well, after i set my m565 in MC and send it to my printer. Thank you for your help. I know I’m so new at this but I think I’m getting it.

7. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

Got it!! Thank you @WheresWaldo I appreciate you putting up with my ignorance!! I have both my machines set up with like I wanted with Baby stepping and Z offset set within the machines. I can now save one file for both machines. Now waiting on Gears and I will be back in business. You guys are awesome!! @mark tomlinson @Geof@mike kelly

#67 Aflickted, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just to make sure it is M500 not M5000

9. Aflickted

Aflickted Member

I noticed that too. When I put in M500 it said something like “Settings saved”
    I’ve got it all working now. Again, thank you!!