1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

X and Y Ringing on prints - possible solutions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jwmueller, Jun 9, 2017.

1. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

My first two prints have large areas of vertical space, and are showing really bad ringing.

This is not belt ringing as it is perfectly regular, and does not look like anything I have seen posted here yet.

Two things I have noticed (disclaimer - first print was Cura, second is S3D) - X and Y Stepper motors sound like an MRI machine, you can hear it popping into the steps, not sure if this from micro-stepping or bad motors.

I have six other brands of machines, none make that sound on any speed setting. Has anyone else heard an MRI like sound (bang, bang, bang - basically as the stepper moves). So I have been leaning towards this being the main cause of the vertical ringing.

The next thing I found is that the upper rods that connect the steppers to the movement, have play in them. So as the gantry changes direction it seems like enough friction from the bearings to pull on those rods. I can move them by hand, so once this print stops I am going to look at how I can get the top off to figure out how to remove that play on the X and Y rods. Running later, but will take pictures in a bit.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Pictures of what you are discussing would help. The C2 gantry does not and should not move (mine was broken on delivery and I had to fix it). The R2 gantry should also be quite solid or you do have a problem.

3. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Yes - pictures please. Also if you can post the smallest STL that will show this issue I'd be happy to try a print. I have tried moving the shafts side-to-side and mine have no play that I can feel.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if you adjusted your printing speed to be faster it may be causing some of your issues as well, might not be hardware :D

5. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I print slow, I did try bumping up the print speed from the menu to much faster but still inside the filament range and the rings did not move position. I have two orders to ship, once I get those done I will post a test STL (and S3D file), and pictures. One example is in my other post here is a link to the dropbox pics. Darkest blue object.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm unsure I see the defect your referring to. Where on the part is it?

7. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

The lighting of my pics makes it hard to see, it will be vertical lines from top to bottom. Along with really small amounts of layer shifting on the X axis visible on the narrow ends.

Edit, both rods have play on the X and Y. Later today I will see how to get the top off to adjust the bushing or pulley.

Edit 2: Back Y rod has 1.5mm of side to side play, front rod is ~.3mm play (back rod you can hear the noise as you move it and hits the bearings).

X rods feel better, but since the machine is still on an active print it was hard to tell.

My Z rods were really out of place when it arrived so maybe in shipping it was tossed around a bit. One was a few inches up towards the top of the machine.

#7 jwmueller, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  8. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Take a look at link 1 and link 2. Here is my pretty paint skills to highlighting roughly what I am seeing, these vertical lines are constant on all vertical walls. Link 3

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

In those pics they kind of look like blobs or retraction marks? Its possible I'm just not seeing it though lol

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Those look like speed artifacts but they can also be the result of the original STL file resolution. Each wall is not a solid single plane but rather a gaggle of connected triangles used to define the outside parameters of the model. Also most current slicers simply move in straight lines in the X and Y planes. None can actually move in a curved manner, but rather may move diagonally in increasing angles in order to print a curved line, if the model is not perfectly square this could exacerbate the issue. Mind you these are just guesses since We don't have the model to look at.

11. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I played with speed via the screen, so I ruled that out, and I am at a base speed of 45mm/sec. Ran the same STL on another machine and it is perfectly smooth and flat (FlashForge same speeds). Showing up on every perfectly flat vertical surface, with PLA and PETG.

The two steppers sounding funny really has me wondering, the sound seems to have the same frequency of the lines in the print.

I will take the same file and put it on a Prusa, the settings are really similar actually so I won't need to adjust much. STL is Fusion360 to Meshmixer to S3D.

Edit: Slowed speed way down and played with flow rate as well, the slower I go the closer the marks are. I can also feel the stepping if I put my finger on the gantry end carriages.

Going to take the slop out first, and then try and get Robo to comment on the stepping sounds and vibration.

#11 jwmueller, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  12. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Here is a quick obj file out of Fusion360 via Meshmixer. Cura project file included, filament was ColorFabb XT. Link to folder.

R2_Test_1.jpg R2_Test_2.jpg

I tried to get better lighting to allow my phone to show the marks on the vertical sections that are aligned with the X axis, the Y axis side is looking better but it shows slight alignment changes. Full size of these images is in the folder link above.

The pictures above in the previous post, I am running on a Prusa MK2S right now, with all the same settings, same obj file, etc. So far it is printing fully smooth with none of the artifacts shown. Again that print was S3D, and I matched all the advanced settings of the R2 to the Prusa for testing. The base settings were not that far apart, I was using the Prusa ColorFabb defaults to modify from.

The thing that I am most curious about, and I will have to take a video to record the sound of the stepper motors on the R2, I can only describe it as a similar sound you get from an MRI machine. It is not a normal smooth sound. (The Prusa will make the same sounds only during one of the calibration homing setups) Z axis sounds fine, but does make the sound when it is in the final homing. When I put my finger on the gantry I am able to feel the frequency of the sounds. Thanks all.

13. Ed Ferguson

14. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Sounds great, thanks!

I did watch one of the 3Dsenpai videos, and he describes similar ringing as a stepper possibly snapping as it moves. I am over simplifying it, but I can certainly feel and hear that type movement. Maybe if I try the highspeed camera we can capture it... LOL

15. Ed Ferguson

Ok - Try my GCode below. If possible, also use the blue PLA that came with the printer. We should get the same result. At least we'll know if you need to look at the printer or the slicer.

Attached Files:

jwmueller likes this.
  16. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Running it now, will post pics in the proper morning hours. I did discover that my rods are bent, more so on the right side of the printer. I can visibly see the plastic right end moving/wobble by a fairly good amount. Printer might have a few issues all related to shipping. :(

17. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Heading to doctor, but the bent rod artifacts are clear in my print. Yours only has some minor lines that are typical of any 3D printer after turning a radius corner at these print speeds. Because your print file is at a 45* angle it has caused the marks in my print to have an angular line instead of the vertical lines we see above in this post.

My steppers are still making the sound with your file, so I am not sure if that is from the rods being bent. Shipping damage, or combination of everything. ;)

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Defianently contact robo and get warranty started

19. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Hey @Geof
    Defiantly or Definitely?

Geof likes this.
  20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator