1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Now I can't print at all - Time to throw in the towel.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by hippy1970, Jun 8, 2017.

1. hippy1970

hippy1970 Member

Are you suggesting I alter the firmware source and recompile? Seems a tad drastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats what I hate about EEPROM:D Think of it like memory, what gets saved to EEPROM typically over writes what you have saved in the firmware (the main program for the machine) the issue I have with EEPROM is you have to rely on the fact that it never gets changed and what changed got saved. I find it more "fool proof" (I'm the fool not you just to be clear lol) to change the firmware and never store anything in EEPROM unless I must :D

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes. It is drastic, but if you have the correct measurements of filament once its changed its in there and you cant adjust it without reflashing. I'm not telling you you have to do it that way, just suggesting how I go about doing it and why I dont use EEPROM. :D You can do it either way you'd like but EEPROM causes headaches for alot of people.

In either way you need to get your numbers for the formula by conducting the test multiple times (10?) average the number and thats what you use in the equation for calculating your E STEPS. Once you have that number you can certainly upload to EEPROM and test. Just never clear or send the command to upload esteps to eeprom again otherwise you'll pull out all your hair :D

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

In addition to the firmware (which is 'permanent') the printer has something called flash EPROM (EEPROM) memory that is used to hold data between reboots/power cycles. It is an easy way to change settings that would normally require a firmware reload and not having to reload the firmware. However... it is NOT permanent. It is more semi-permanent :)

Geof likes this.
  5. hippy1970

hippy1970 Member

I don't have a great deal of hair left anyway, three kids...

Geof likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you do use the flash EPROM to do your data then if something ever wipes it out you are up the proverbial creek...

Geof likes this.
  7. hippy1970

hippy1970 Member

I'm familiar with EPROMs. I used to flash them with a BBC Micro back in the day...
    I just wasn't sure why you were altering the firmware. I get it now.

I'm not fussed on averaging out numbers as they seem wildly different each time.

I began using the default of 760 or whatever it was. It was way over extruding, about 130mm.

I reduced it but it was still way over. I eventually went to 600 as 620 was over. It then only extruded about 50mm.
    Once I save the EPROM it should be set, correct? I mean I don't have to do anything else like M codes or power cycle the Arduino?

8. hippy1970

hippy1970 Member

In fact. I just power cycled the Arduino and the Robo. The EPROM settings are back to defaults...
    So I guess it's not saving when the power goes off. A useless EPROM really.
    I'll mark 140mm and extrude 100. See what happens.

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

EEPROM use is a bit odd. The way Marlin works is that if you have EEPROM enabled and you have an actual value in it (not null values) it uses this priority for execution.

1. Firmware settings are moved from Flash memory to user memory at boot time.
    2. If there is an EEPROM value it is read and overwrites the user memory value, no if's and's or but's.
    3. If there is a null value the Firmware setting is retained in the user memory

Here is what happens when you flash a new version with all new settings.

1. Firmware is burned to Flash memory
    2. EEPROM is NOT cleared or initialized in any way, so existing information is still there from flash to flash.
    3. It then behaves like the sequence mentioned previously.

Marlin doesn't even care if the values in EEPROM are correct, it just treats it as data that needs to be moved to user memory.

EEPROM can only store values in user memory, It cares nothing for Firmware settings. If you change user settings using G or M codes and do not explicitly save those to EEPROM your modifications are only used until the Arduino is power cycled.

#69 WheresWaldo, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  10. hippy1970

hippy1970 Member

I actually marked 150mm. Good job as it extruded 145mm

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep. The EEEPROM will survive power off, but it is easy for a host program to overwrite it or for a glitch in the machine to reset values (or the reset button getting pressed on the Arduino for example... not a normal thing, but that will also reset it).

This is why I said it is not 'permanent'. It will survive a power cycle, but unlike the EPROM it is not really permanent.

Geof likes this.
  12. hippy1970

hippy1970 Member

Ok I follow what you're saying. My EPROM values are not saving then. It all at factory defaults (firmware defaults) when power cycled.
    So once I have it right I'll alter the firmware.

13. hippy1970

hippy1970 Member

So. Old steps are 723.38
    The math says 723.38x(100/145mm)
    That gives me 498.88 steps / mm
    I tried 600 earlier and it was way too low.
    I'll try it now anyway.
    Back in a min with the results.

14. hippy1970

hippy1970 Member

That figure extruded just 57mm.
    These numbers are crazy. I must have something else wrong.

Any clues?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good idea :)

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Reset the flash eprom after every real eprom update.
    That way you are certain there is no stale/corrupt data in the flash eprom

17. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am shocked yours is so low. In general every Robo R1 I have seen under-extrudes at 723.38 steps. In my experience the EStep value should be somewhere near 800.

Every time you flash a new firmware and you want to make sure your firmware settings are used, you must do the following before any printing whatsoever.
    Code:
    M502
    M500
    The M502 will restore all firmware settings to user memory, the M500 will save all the user memory to EEPROM. Why EEPROM works the way it does in Marlin is anybody's guess. But one good reason to use it is there are a few settings that are not defined in Configuration.h that can be set with M-codes and stored for future use.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

He may not be able to do this with the stock firmware, since it has EEPROM saving disabled.

There's always the good old Starting Gcode method though.

19. hippy1970

hippy1970 Member

I just ran M502 and M500. My EEPROM settings are now set to default, 723.38.
    I'm getting fed up now. Is there somewhere else I should be setting the steps?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

How are you setting the steps?
    Exact workflow please...