1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved First Failed print...ABS Warping

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Vibroman, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Vibroman

Vibroman New Member

So trying to Print ABS on this printer for first time and got some major warping. started about layer 40 or so of 175. Using default ABS settings in MC. Med Quality. 235 extruder and 80 bed. Using Elmers on the Bed
    Trying to troubleshoot Switched Fan Controls OFF and reprinted. Also Increased bed temp to 90 after layer 40 and the results were excellent.
    I'm sure everyone else knew this but heads up for newbies
    VM

Attached Files:

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Welcome to the world of extruding ABS. Must your part be in ABS? Is there something about the properties of ABS that require you to print with it? ABS is all about temperature control of the entire printer environment and is one of the most difficult materials to print without the requisite returns. There are so many other filaments that meet or exceed ABS properties in some way or another and are easier to print.

Save the ABS for when you get to a point where you can control every aspect, not just print temps but ambient air temperature as well as air circulation in the environment, or build yourself and enclosure to encase the printer so you can actually heat the area where the printer is located.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Vibroman

Vibroman New Member

Thanks WW. Part does not have to be ABS but waiting on Black PLA delivery tomorrow so thought I would try ABS.
    Gotcha on controlling the environment.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am a fan of PETG as well as some nylon filaments, PETG is easier to print than ABS and not as brittle as PLA. If you have Amazon Prime you can get it cheap with 2-day shipping, my current favorite is eSUN sold by INTSERVO in the US.

5. Vibroman

Vibroman New Member

How clear is the Natural?
    Got a 1 kg spool in the shopping basket right now

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

It will come out white, sort of, depending on the layer height and how many perimeters. Big layers and low numbers of perimeters and solid layers will keep it clearer, also while I print with the parts fan on, the fan off actually provides for a clearer print. But these things are generally true of all natural colored filaments. Without proper ingredient mixes most natural colored filaments aren't truly clear.

7. Vibroman

Vibroman New Member

You got me convinced spool coming !!!

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

PETG is an excellent choice/alternative for ABS in most cases. I like BluPrint as well (that one is a Taulman product) if transition temperature for the material is a reason you need to consider.

When you start comparing filaments you really need to know what you are looking for :) as in specifically what you expect the filament to do. Here is another overview/comparison:

http://3dprintingfromscratch.com/common/3d-printer-filament-types-overview/

Vibroman likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Almost nothing else is as hard to print properly as ABS (well, maybe polycarbonate... maybe)

Vibroman and WheresWaldo like this.
  10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They really need to increase the ABS bed temp from 80C, that's way too cold.

Their default options are really not good at all and haven't been tweaked since... ever

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. ChiefBurningRubber

ChiefBurningRubber New Member

Hi guys I'm also trying to print ABS and have read several articles. I don't know why I'm so dead-set on trying to get it to work but I'm having the same curling problems as well. It just seems I can't get it to print and it's frustrating. I'm using extruder235, bed80, speeds 50 and infill 60. Fan is disabled. I would post a pic if I could but I haven't made 3 posts yet.

The part I'm trying to print is large and fills the entire bed area of the Robo3dR1+ but I suspect the heated pad underneath doesn't cover the entire print surface.

Like I said, I've read a lot of articles, but still struggling.

Any advice is appreciated.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The heated pad does not come close to covering the entire bed area.
    8x8 or 9x9 (can't remember which) is about it.

Large ABS prints are really difficult without a heated chamber, but directed heat (like an IR lamp aimed at the print) can help.
    Get rid of all air drafts around the printer as well.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and you need to get the bed up over 100 for best results.

14. ChiefBurningRubber

ChiefBurningRubber New Member

Good advice and thanks. I thought about an infrared light so I'm going to try that one for sure. I took care of drafts but didn't want to do the heated chamber as I'm not sure how well the rest of the electronics handle it.

Bed temp too...good advice.

Does anyone know if there are larger heated pads out there that cover the entire print bed area?

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I just did this upgrade, I will try to post pictures a bit later today. You can get bigger heaters but you have to be careful with power draw through the RAMPS board. You are limited to 11A maximum draw so you heater shouldn't be more than 132W without additional circuitry.

ChiefBurningRubber likes this.
  16. David Avila

David Avila Member

you just helped me thanks

17. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

I'm also struggling.
    I have a first version of the R1, ABS white (From Robo3D), temps is 230 and 75 (can't go above or I have an error message). I have put a bed sheet on the printer to act like a closed chamber. The temperature in the room is around 23. I put spray glue on the bed but it warp a lot.
    Any advice ? Should I upgrade the firmware to go above the temperature (230 & 75) ? Is it the bed that is too cold or the extruder ?
    The fan is always off but shouldn't it be on to fasten the cooling of the ABS ?
    I understand ABS is the toughest thing to print but I have at least 5 reels of ABS and I don't want to throw them away.

Is there other material that gloss in Acetone as the ABS does ?

Thanks for your help.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

19. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

ok Thank you.
    Can you please reconfirm the max temp of the bed and the extruder ?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not without knowing exactly which model you have.
    (sorry)

the extruder is safe to over 300c if you have the hexagon or e3d, the j-head has 235 max.
    The bed can technically do 115c but not if you have the wiring/connectors that was in the earlier R1 units. The beta and R1+ are fine.