1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Another printer (it is a disease, once you start collecting them...)

Discussion in 'Projects' started by mark tomlinson, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

feel like I'm in the stone age.....no cams watching my prints...just a visual inspection here and there :D

jim3Dbot and Rigmarol like this.
  2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

8-bit can run a delta just fine, just not at as high a speed as a 32-bit board can (since a Delta can theoretically print as fast as the filament can be extruded without issues on the nozzle you're using, as long as it's anchored firmly).

jim3Dbot likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I am lazy (no, lazier, lazier still, yea... about that much).
    I ain't walking down there without t reason. (unless I am going to the bar, it is the general area).

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you saying your not always in the bar ? ;) im firmly planted in mine....haha. just walk back in to check the prints

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No bed in the bar, yet...

It is printing its first DePrime now.
    There is no way to adjust the Z offset or any of that. It auto calibrates, updates the EEPROM and that is all you have.

I see no easy way to tweak that.

Geof and jim3Dbot like this.
  6. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Can't wait to see that 1st yard long print............CONGRATS Mark..............

7. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Aria dragon anyone?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Both great ideas. Will take a few days :(

We were having a lot of issues with the bowden feed not wanting to ... feed and looked like maybe an extruder jam.

We popped a fuse on the Rambo and (of course) they are special little buggers so -- Thursday I will have replacements.
    I also need to recheck the effector (the fancy name for the extruder and mount) since something down there might need more kapton tape to avoid shorting. I was messing around with that when the extruder fuse let go.

The issue with the extruder jamming is because we probably did not have the bowden tube quite far enough into it. Will clear the jam and fix that as well.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

man that sucks. hopefully they get you squared away quickly. damn learning cuves :(

10. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

If I buy another printer my wife might cure the disease and bury me with it.
    I really do want to get a delta some day....
    .... I'll have to be sneaky and start replacing the old ones with out her knowing it.

11. danzca6

That's the way to do it. Slowly buy the parts and when you are ready just say, "You know I have enough spare parts here that I could build another printer. Maybe I'll make it a delta." At that point, you have all you need. Of course honesty always wins out ;)

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I knew it would be a learning curve for the new tech. It is really different.

When we had it printing it would do the autoleveling and tap around the edges of the glass and I was puzzled because... how did it know? When it started printing it would swoop down at high pseed and then slow down close to the glass. There are no limit switches down there. Turns out they have an accellerometer on the effector and that is what is uses to 'know' where it is. Cool.

jim3Dbot and Geof like this.
  13. danzca6

well it has limit switches on top right? Doesn't it home to the top and then knows the distance from there to the glass or probes for that? Going off just an accelerometer is cool, but scary.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

watching them rocket from top to bottom is scary during the home lol :D. Very awesome.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It has limit switches at the top, but ... the firmware has no configuration to set the size, just add longer rods and it will autonagically be bigger. The accel is the bottom limit as well as for the 'edges' of the build plate.

jim3Dbot likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, I rebuilt it today and eliminated their "thermal protection switch" which complicated an already complicated hotend assembly.
    It is much better now electrically, but I wasn't paying attention and may have not left enough threads for the nozzle. It is in, but only with a couple of threads. Fuse doesn't show up until thursday so I may redo it again. Or I may just try it like that and change it if needed this weekend. I went up to a 0.6 nozzle (from the 0.5) however at some point I will convert it to a really big one (like a 0.8) and leave one Robo for fine detail stuff.

jim3Dbot likes this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Working again. Still have some fine tuning to do.
    We will see how this turns out, tall vase mode.

20161102_154543.jpg

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I tore-down and reassembled the effector (twice more) to get it to where I was happy with it. Removed the thermal switch and replaced the heater core since the wires needed to be longer. It was already a 40w core so that was fine.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

20. danzca6

Is it a Bowden setup? If so, maybe the rate needs to be slower that a direct. I've never dealt with a Bowden before.