1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Another printer (it is a disease, once you start collecting them...)

Discussion in 'Projects' started by mark tomlinson, Oct 28, 2016.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Agreed...looking at doing a clone of the MK2 and even the Rambo mini is expensive. One thing to keep in mind is that they have refurbs for sale that saves a few bucks. https://ultimachine.com/collections/electronics/products/refurbished-rambo-1-3?variant=22351897479

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Why are you guys looking a RAMBo's, if you have to replace the electronics why not go with the Duet or a Smoothie instead.

I know there is a desire to make it plug and play, but if you have to replace an All-In-One board like the RAMBo then why not a 32 bit All-In-One board.

Asking :)

#62 WheresWaldo, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good question :)
    In all reality if I were to get motivated to replace it I would probably use the FastBotBBP board I have sitting on the shelf.

If I ended up going with a standard the Smoothie is a good option.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So, in an effort to just move on while my son is out of town :) I am printing a version of the GregsWade that is modified for the Rostock (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:331371) I already have the gear sets printed for spares I kept around for the Robos.

This should give me enough push power to overcome whatever is causing the grief at this point. Since my experiments with the spare stepper worked out the way they did I have to assume there is just something causing enough back pressure to make theirs fail. The EZR Struder is apparently of their own design and sure -- it probably works in most cases. I am just done fiddling with it. I could just try another bowden extruder version I guess, but geared is certain to work.

(BTW: I have yet to get a replacement part from those folks, or even an offer of one. Fortunately parts are cheap and even more so if you don't buy from them)

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

them dirty bastards! So not a good experience with them?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I already penned them a letter :)

The printer seems to be a well built unit, but getting incorrect parts was not cool, then no offer to sort that out either.
    Support response is slow (2 business days on average for a response) and frankly has offered little in way of actual ideas to solve anything.

I am sure once i get it working we will be happy with it, but I am also certain we will not be using them for support :)
    Too bad because otherwise the quality of the build is good. I guess this is why they were cheaper than most of the other deltas.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

that sucks, I was eyeballin their smaller one. But if I gotta foot the warranty not so much :D lol.

8. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I'll be seeing them in March if you need me to deliver a message. :cool: haha

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am disappointed. Nothing really to say after all they have my money.
    The small one might include a warranty if it is pre-assembled, but the kits apparently don't even warrant all the parts are in them :)
    Sure I complicated things by going for a non-standard size, but they should be able to cope with that or at least make it right.

Geof likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, extruder -- tossed (not the hotend, the extruder) and replaced with a printed Gregs Wade.
    Now it has the extruder recalibrated (of course) and is happily printing a benchy for me to ponder.

Still zero support from the company. I do like the printer, would actually prefer it to come with a GW extruder myself. Would be nice to have gotten helpful support though.

Had to modify the gregs wade just a bit with a fitting where the bowden fits in to hold the tubing in place, but other than that it is mostly a standard GW with a herringbone gears. The mount for it is mirrored so that it can work better upside down.

The actual print speed is faster than our robos by about 40% (which is good for really tall crap).

20161112_150142.jpg

20161112_150148.jpg

Geof likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Benchy looks tiny in that sea of hotbed :)

Geof likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Glad to see it up and running. Sucks that see me cnc has bad support.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not so much 'bad' as non-existent.

Rerunning the test since one of the gears was not tight on the motor shaft. It was still looking good in spite of that, but killed and restarted it.

Geof likes this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Where is that 400% benchy test...... Lol

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Standing on the tail :)

It is more tall that large. Still tuning it this evening.

You can log this down : I loathe Bowden feed.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol i figured youd hate it. I actually enjoy my bowden sigma but using 1.75 bowdens SSSSUUUUCCCCKKKKSSSSS

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, well after more failings I sorted it.
    (At least I am certain we will)

Picture this. After cleaning/rebuilding everything, using the gregs wade extruder (so, no slippage of the feed) with the nozzle off the hotend I can extrude thousands of mm of filament, no problems.

With the nozzle on (any nozzle really, 0.4 -> 2.0 mm) it will have enough back pressure to fail (and by fail I mean the Gregs Wade starts wadding it up at the entrance of the bowden*). Larger nozzles take slightly longer to fail, but fail they do. Even with the temperatures at 225c (PLA mind you). About the best I could get would be 1000mm and then BOOM jammed up in the feed.

We have rebuilt and reassembled that hotend many, many times. I am not pleased with the heatbreak on it, poor design.

We ordered an E3D (w/Bowden kit) from @Printed Solid and a few more nozzles. Sure, we would have upgraded this at some point, but did not intend to do this now. Still batting zero on any replacement parts from SeeMeCNC, but there you go. I am more bent about the time wasted than the money...

I suspect this is what killed the extruder stepper to begin with, it just couldn't push the filament through the EZRStruder and hotend. Being a direct feed all of that strain had to fall on the stepper and it finally tossed in the towel.

*Now with the Gregs Wade you can bet the bank filament is going SOMEWHERE :) It is geared to heck and the motor doesn't have to work as hard. Sadly, just not getting through the hotend fast enough...

Hopefully we will have this working next weekend.

Geof likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Kudos to @Printed Solid team they already pinged me (email and FB) that they shipped the E3D so we should have that in time for the weekend and work time again :)

danzca6 and Geof like this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So, this morning SeeMeCNC contacted me suggesting a new nozzle or three might be in order.

I carefully restated my case for how may nozzles we tried (of various sizes: 0.4 -> 2.0) and how simply adding the nozzle was what increased the back pressure. Also how due to the fact that we assemble the hotend with the bowden tube fully inserted into the heat break that can't be an issue. Further after the extrusion problems occur disassembling the hotend shows that the bowden is still firmly in place...

They then offered to send me a fully assembled hotend to try. Finally! Yes, I already have ordered an E3D and will certainly use that, but they have at last acknowledged that something is indeed awry.

My opinion is still the heat break itself is faulty or perhaps the fan is not up to snuff and heat creep is killing it. Honestly the fan they have on there is really small (25mm) and they have that housing that the hotend is all wrapped up in which probably obstructs air flow to some extent.

I will undoubtedly have the E3D first and will test with it to see how that goes.

Geof, danzca6 and WheresWaldo like this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Go the parts in today. They did NOT send a new hotend ...

IT IS A WHOLE FREAKIN' EFFECTOR :)

New Bits.jpg

Spare bits are always cool.

danzca6 likes this.