1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

BarMixVah Plus

Discussion in 'Projects' started by mark tomlinson, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Remco Wijbenga

Hi Mark,

Any updates on your project.. :) Would love to try your software with the Barmixvah I have build...

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The Arduino software is already posted here. Feel free to use that.
    The UI... well, what can I say--college kids... it is not done yet and he has been dragging his feet.
    I will get something done this week to at least allow testing of the arduino side.

If you want I can ftp the SD card image somewhere. Let me know, it is 32gb. That will give you everything in its current state (including the python dev env).

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here is the current setup for the Pi. Using the LEDs to emulate the motors so the code can be tested.
    The Mechanical parts are printed and assembled, the electrical parts are wired... just need to get the UI code going.

Attached Files:

4. Remco Wijbenga

Looks super ! :)

I almost have printed all the mechanical parts now, the only thing is I use round aluminium tube, because the rectangular version is easy to source here or exspensive... ( The Netherlands)

About the SD card image, I can give you a link to upload it, but is it not easier to first shrink the raspberry pi image? I have done that before with gparted and a PC. Then we can put it online with dropbox or something like that.. :)

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have suggestions on how to shrink it, let me know.
    It is actually pretty well used (there is a lot of applications installed in addition to Linux).
    I am willing to try whatever might work, I just clone the image "As-is" to make a backup snapshot every so often.

6. Remco Wijbenga

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Maybe it is creating the image that is the issue. I usually just use a windows disk imager utility that always makes a direct clone of the media. So a 32gb card is a 32gb image, regardless of how it is partitioned. I already have the partitions laid out this way.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I kicked him in the pants to get this development going again. The slow-down really was having to do everything on the Pi. Now we have a debian 3.x (yea, old version) VM running (since that is the version of linux that Raspbian seems to be based on) and he can do the bulk of the development there on his own PC and then we can just move the code over to the pi.

9. Remco Wijbenga

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, it has a fair amount of extra 'junk' on there (well, not 'junk' but applications--like MondoDB, the GUI for development and the like--to make the stuff work). I will need to use another Pi:

"This cannot be done on the pi itself, you'll need a seperate linux machine."

...and about all I have 'unix' around here are the Pi's (well, my Nieces MacBook might sort-of count). Still, got plenty of those so should be able to get around to slimming it down. (seems a bit incestuous to have to get some Pi-on-Pi action going on).

Actually, I lie. I have some Linux VMs so I can use a VMWare image to connect over. Let me look into this.

11. Remco Wijbenga

While I was building the mechanical parts, I thought it would be handy to have a hose cleaning option in the UI. Let the selected pump run for 1 minute. then you hang the small hose in water and it cleans the inside of the hose with water. Otherwise is you are not going to use the machine for a while the hoses are clean.... :)
    Also good practice when going to use the machine again...

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Definitely a good idea, although our tests of the mechanical parts didn't see a lot of standing fluid (we tested with water) in the tubes.
    Can't hurt to flush them even more if you are changing ingredients on a given slot.

13. Remco Wijbenga

14. Remco Wijbenga

The mechanical part is almost done! :)

[​IMG]

15. Remco Wijbenga

Any updates on your side ? ;)

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, I'll have to go chase him down and see where we are.
    Like I said I can share the existing image anytime and detail what is where :).

It doesn't speed things up that he is more Windows than Linux (well, having the spare time is the largest hurdle).
    I still think doing this on the Pi is the right answer.

17. Remco Wijbenga

Doing it on a Pi is the best solution.... All in one.. :)

I am still waiting on the Arduberry, so I have to wait before I can even test some stuff.

Did you manage to schrink the image? Maybe 7zip ?
    Because uploading 32Gb is much...

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It does not shrink much when zipped, maybe 5-10% plus it takes forever to zip up a 32gb image. Trust me :) I did it -- once.

Frankly, the Arduberry is distinct from the UI side (i.e. we know how to communicate with it--serial port--and we know what to send it--the string syntax). So the UI can be developed without any real dealing with the arduberry at least until nearly done. Now we were testing the interface layers first, but that is not a necessity.

I am going to see where we are and at a minimum grab the VMware image.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am also going to install NetBeans and see about just doing this in java.
    If I have to just do it myself, that is going to be my choice.

20. Remco Wijbenga

Any luck shrinking the image?

If it is still 32Gb you can upload it to Mega, they have 50Gb storage for free... :)

https://mega.co.nz/#