1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Complete Reboot of R2 - Help Please

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by adikted2astro, Jan 8, 2019.

1. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Hi everyone,

A few months ago (as shown in one of my posts), the cable to my heated bed basically melted and a capacitor on a step-down I have for my LED lights exploded. Well fast-forward to...........today. I am finally done writing my research paper (grrrr), so I can now start focusing on my R2. I installed a new main board, heated bed cable, and step-down, plugged everything in and starter her up. The Rasp Pi works as far as I can tell and the software loads, but it refuses to connect to octoprint. As a matter of fact, every time I connect to WiFi, it almost immediately drops the connection. I did not mess with any software at all; only hardware. But, it has been a while (maybe she's pissed).

The last time something like this happened, I had to write a new disk image to the SD card (from Robo) and completely 'reboot' the printer. Here's my problem. I like the settings and firmware I have right now and I do not want to have to go back through the process of first loading Robo firmware, then disconnecting and uploading my firmware. I know it sounds like a simple problem, but the one thing I do not want is for the Robo firmware to Home the bed before I can reload my firmware. The reason is because I've made some modifications to the bed and if it drops all the way down to the bottom, it's going to start grinding that z-axis stepper motor and bending things that shouldn't be bent :) I know it should stop with the limit switch, but it doesn't, even though there's a brand new z-limit switch installed.

I would appreciate any help/advice. I really don't understand why this is happening. Like I said, the Pi is good (as far as I can tell), the main board is good, and the SD card I'm using is fine.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

But the OS Image or OctoPrint configuration are likely boogered. I would start by simply getting a new SD card and reflashing the image on it. Things set in the Flash EPROM will not be "reset" but your environment on the Pi will be totally clean.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

While it is possible that the Flash EPROM itself has gotten corrupted that is less likely.
    (this is one reason I always push updates to settings into the firmware and reload it -- it is not unheard of for a Flash EPROM to get corrupted. It is not normal or frequent, but it can happen. Start with a reburn of the SD card image for the Pi since that does not impact the controller card or firmware in any way)

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have files on the SD card that need to be "migrated" to the new card you can do that (we can figure out how for you) after getting the Pi/OctoPrint working again. Just don't erase the current Sd card the Pi boots from, format and burn the image to a new one.

Geof and supercazzola like this.
  5. adikted2astro

Ok, thanks for the info guys. I will get a new SD card tonight and try it out. I'm fairly pissed though because the SD card that is in there is a really nice one; 64 GB. It's only been used about 6 months.

If the new SD card doesn't work, I think that I may just have to use the Robo image and go through all the steps again to update the firmware with the UBL enabled code. I really don't want to, but maybe it's necessary. I will keep this posted.

6. adikted2astro

I said 'guys' and I meant Mark :)

Anyways, one quick question...... When I get the new SD card, do I just copy and paste the files over from the current card? I'm not sure if I need to do something differently; as you may have noticed, I know very little about this.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

adikted2astro likes this.
  8. adikted2astro

Awesome, thank you! I just found a new SD card (I think it's new anyway).

9. adikted2astro

I have another question. The instructions on the Pi website say to 'select the image file you extracted earlier'. I'm not sure about how to do that. Is this a single file that is in my SD card, or a group of files?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Rasberry Pi SD card is cloned off to another computer as a disk image of the entire SD card.
    So from a PC you clone/copy the entire SD card as a unit

There is software to let you mount the Raspbian disk as a Linux volume on windows if you need to access specific files, but that is not what they are talking about

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So you need to try to read the image of the current SD card and save it as a file on your personal computer. Then write that file to the new SD card.

I say try because if the old SD card is corrupted at the worst you won't be able to read it, and possibly you could copy a corrupted file onto the new SD. Robo Support can send you a new copy of the SD card image via email. You need to contact them for this.

12. adikted2astro

I did email Robo and they sent me the files. There are 6 files in the folder they sent me.

13. adikted2astro

I just found the old image file they sent me the last time this happened.

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

One should be a file with the extension of .img
    That one is the actual SD card image

15. adikted2astro

Yes, the file I had from before was a .img file

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So you use Win32DiskImager (on Windows) to burn that to (a NEW SD card -- don't use the old one) pop-it in the pI and boot