1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Dragging in/through previous layers

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Truerobotech, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Where I am at - New RAMPs, Identified cooling problem, steppers are coming

I figured why not let me print, I had one of the best prints ever put out on the machine.

On the second attempt its starts dragging glass again.

I took a a closer inspection of the fan and found a very rookie electronics mistake. My board fan is only connected to 5 volts.
    When I replaced my burnt Mosfet original ramps board the new board came without the 12v pins up by main power plug (around D2 on the schematic). So I just plugged it in at an available power source :oops: which is only 5 volts.

So I am looking for another constant source of 12v as the current replacement boards are also lacking the pins by D2.

Can I get a confirmation on which D set is a constant? I am figuring I can wire into the extruder heatsink fan, which from what I can tell is currently plugged into my D9.

Feeling quite embarrassed as the issues post new ramps board would appear and can pretty much guarantee are caused by the amateur electronics mistake. So if not said before let me reiterate the thanks for assistance from all members!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The output of the power supply where it connects to the RAMPS is 12v. That is the big connector just below D8. Always on when the power switch is on.

Truerobotech likes this.
  3. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Thanks Mark! Can you narrow it down a bit looking at the schem from my previous thread I would wire in to the plug itself where it connects showing 11A+ right at where it says MSTBA4

Attached Files:

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, either of those will work (11a or 5a) they come of of the same power supply.
    The fan is not enough of a current draw to be a huge issue. Put it on the 11a and Bob's your uncle.

Truerobotech likes this.
  5. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Sounds good tyvm. I will get it done this evening and see where i land.

6. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Well still dragging glass but hey the fan is doing what it should. I have a sneaking suspicion my first print on this board was good as everything was just cool enough to complete the print, but extended on time even just by a little with less than stellar cooling may have damaged the board all though not visibly noticeable.

Sadly I do have 1 more RAMPS board (each time i order two of everything when it comes to this thing).

Ill hook it up with the now poor but ample stock 12v fan cooling and check back with results.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You could leave the bottom cover off, BUT even if you do you need a fan. I know I posted a picture of one I installed on my beta (and later on the second one).

FWIW: I doubt the RAMPS itself is damaged (not impossible since I have one bad one myself) it is more likely a stepper driver that is faulty. Troubleshooting that is not a technical challenge, just time consuming.

Truerobotech likes this.
  8. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Ok swapped the Z with X, X sounds a bit rough but hey its printing.

I am still dragging glass or very close to it if I just let it run though I am getting a print its just a few layers short.

So to me even with a swap of the step[per drivers as far as I know a good X with a bad Z I still have Z problem.

current GCode if beneficial

M140 S{print_bed_temperature}
    M104 S{print_temperature}
    M107; FANS OFF
    G28; HOME ALL AXIS
    M84; KILL MOTORS
    M109 S{print_temperature}
    G1 Z2; RAISE Z-AXIS TO 2MM
    G1 F10000; SET FEEDRATE FAST
    G1 X5 Y5; MOVE CLOSE TO HOME
    M565 Z-1.75; Z-AXIS OFFSET
    G28; HOME ALL AXIS
    G29; PROBE BED
    G1 F10000; SET FEEDRATE FAST
    G1 Z10; RAISE Z-AXIS TO 2MM
    G92 E0; ZERO EXTRUDER
    M190 S{print_bed_temperature}
    M25; WAIT FOR USER
    G1 X20 Y20; MOVE CLOSE TO HOME
    ;G1 Z.3; LOWER Z-AXIS TO .3MM
    G1 F1500; SET FEEDRATE SLOW
    G1 X200 E20; CLEAR FILLAMENT
    G92 E0; ZERO EXTRUDER
    G1 F{travel_speed}; START

9. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Funny it will print and drag glass on one layer then starts working at the right height when I include rafting.
    Once the steppers are in Ill just have to do a clean clear of the arduino board and fresh firmware install

10. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Ill post a pic of the results of both prints here shortly

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Rafting forces it to offset the first layer. Have you experimented with different Z offset values?
    More negative numbers -> further from the bed.

Truerobotech likes this.
  12. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Current z offset is 1.75 in the gcode, I have tried higher (extreme just to see 2.5 etc) to no avail.

I will see what happens when the new steppers are installed. Expected to be in Tuesday.

13. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

SOLVED!!

But not with new stepper motors.

Before installing the new steppers i decided to go heavily through the leveling process. I spents about an hour running g29 then rotating screws as per @Marquis Johnson video. In doing so my numbers are coming back at less than .25 mm from zero all are just slightly in a negative and staying pretty steady.

Second i went through each stepper motors amps. Usng the thread on calibration from @bamhm182 not the breadboard way but by checking between pot and ground while on board (i know yikes) but figured since i had a back up ramps and new steppers already worse i could do is fry something and learn from it. On the steppers that are on a good working axis are reporting 3.9 the bad stepper was reporting 6.9 :eek: i was able to get down to 3.7 with several check change check repeats on that steppers pot.

I then loaded a 8 mm profile of Marquis and left his .9 zoffset untouched.

Since then we have run four 35 minute prints (with a 5 to 10 min gap between each). All came out great! As soon as i saw the first layer go down i was pretty sure it was in good shape.

Now about 20% into a 5 hour print so far so good. See where it goes.

Have to say i still get giddy and jazzed when this things printing.

Thanks for all the info and direction @mark tomlinson @WheresWaldo and @Mike Kelly

Hopefully during my future adventures i can give back to some other members that find themselves in a similar bind.