1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite E3D v6 Information and Installation Guide

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jan 31, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, it will work fine. All you are drilling is slightly enlarging the hole that the filament feeds through and the PTFE tube will work with the quick-release just fine.

2. Charlie S

Charlie S New Member

Thanks Mark. I messed(cleared jams and assembled wrong and got goop) with the original hot end so much that I finally broke the tiny thermistor wire. But my E3d comes in a day or 2.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sorry to hear that. The E3D is better and spare parts (all of the parts) are pretty widely available too.

4. Charlie S

Charlie S New Member

Sorry. Another question. I can’t print a quick release part. Can I mod the original quick release to make it work?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Possibly. The E3D collar is larger than the Hexagon so if you use the original plate it will be loose and able to move around. You *might* be able to use some wraps of teflon tape (or some sort of tape) around the collar on the E3D enough to make it a tighter fit ... and if so it might work long enough to print the new quick release lever. Then remove the tape

That is why the thread suggests printing it before you start the modification :) But sometimes things break and then you want to upgrade...

6. Charlie S

Charlie S New Member

Here’s a relatively easy mod to get it up and running. I think these parts are for 2x4’s. The large hole is pretty close to the 12 mm needed for the E3D. The metal plate goes on top of the existing Robo R1+ quick release. I used aviation metal snipers and appropriate drills and files. Bad luck with thermistors... broke the lead by the connector. The printed solid wire seemed like t-10 inches too short and my cable dressing was a bit of a mess.

luckily I had a parts fan clip duct already printed. So I should be in business when I rewire the thermistor. That heater wire is stiff. I can’t remember how Robo cable tied to holes in the carriage. Below the hobbed bolt?

I can post higher res photos, I was trying to be respectful of storage.

C3BC3453-8A88-495A-A0A9-9A33CA182091.jpeg 4D4AA913-4681-4726-83A2-83BD5FAF1B51.jpeg

#66 Charlie S, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. colinpoo42

colinpoo42 New Member

How do i edit firmware[/QUOTE]

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member