1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Hardware error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by capecodcharlie, Aug 16, 2016.

1. capecodcharlie

Hi Harry , got a message today from my RoBo 3 , ,,, Printer hardware error , your printer is reporting a hardware error , this may prevent your printer from functioning properly ,
    Error reported " EXTRUDER SWITCHED OFF MAX TEMP TRIGGERED "
    That what happened , any ideas ?.? Thanks in advance

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there. Im not Harry but id be happy to help. Max temp is usualky a thermistor issue. Please check your connections. The wires are very delicate and easily broken.

danzca6 likes this.
  3. capecodcharlie

Hi Geof , It said at the beginning to ask Harry , I don't know I'm new at this , , Thanks for your reply , I was looking over the connection and found the wire had pushed out if clip end I pushed in and got it to stay I'm pretty sure , but on the extruder temp it says 375 degrees but it's cold , I also tried to preheat the bed but it would not , any way to test the thermistor ?? What about the ceramic heater THATS the wire I found pushed out , your help is appreciated, Thanks

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

No problem at all :) welcome to the user forum. Id recheck the thermistor cartridge and wiring. It not reading room temp is typically

Bad wiring connection
    Bad thermistor
    Bad ramps board.

Can you share a photo of your wires and we can give thwm a lookover with you.

To check the thermistor itself you can unplug it and check with a multimeter if you have one. They are 100 ohm thermistors, as long as its close (95-100ish) you should be ok.

danzca6 likes this.
  5. capecodcharlie

Well Thanks for the welcome , I'm new to these machines , so I'll be looking for help , I took the extruder out it was pretty mucked up , , got a lot of filament off , , removed the ceramic heater , but not sure if the thermistor could even come out ??? Still mucked up around that area but not all that bad , cleaned it up reattach the wires , that's when I found the wire had pushed out of connector of ceramic heater , Pretty sure I got that , fixed , I have a meter but not sure how to use , can you tell me what to set it at , so on , I'm not with printer right now so I'll try to do pictures tomorrow, ,, a couple of other questions , on the ramps board can you use a plus series board or does it have to be an original board ?? The ceramic heater ?? What size is it ?! 30 or 40 , watts 12v or 24v , ?? The the thermistor, do they come out of the heat head usually ?. Where can one get a complete run down on all the workings , part names , wire diagram, ? Just wantvto know what's whatvon these things , a lot I know but if I see a manual or other things I can usually figure things out , Thanks for your help

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Of the wire came out of the heater and not the plug on the other side, do not use it. Youll need a new heater.

Lets start with which model printer do you have ?

7. capecodcharlie

Good question ?? It appears to be an R1 ?? How do you tell for sure , I purchased it used knowing it had a problem , but I like to solve these problems , I have a RoBo R1+ , that had has a problem with the ceramic heater , I ran out of line and it jammed, so I figured out how to fix that but when I reinstalled the extruder I did not get the wire tight and it hung up and pulled one wire out , so I'm waiting on a replacement, heater , I hope that all it needs , anyway how do you know what model you have , and how do I send a picture on this forum, Thanks

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The r1+ has white leds, anf the leadscrews (threaded rods) run straight through the body into the stepper motors. R1 use couplers. Those are the easy ways to tell. If you can share some photos of your thermistor and wires and your heater and wires i can be more sure.

A wire coming out of the heater is bad and if tried to use could be very bad. the heater is the big cartridge on the hotend with big red wires. The thermistor is a smaller cartridge on the r1+ with small wires. Im betting the wire came out of the thermistor judging from your max temp and high readings after putting the wire back, but good to be sure.

danzca6 likes this.
  9. capecodcharlie

Not sure I'm doing this reply right but here goes , Hi Mark , im guess it's an R1 not the plus , it has couplers That the threaded rods go in , Strange the threaded rods do go up into holders in the cover ?? I thought that was a plus model, the plate does not have the cable coming out the back , the thermistor is not removeable from the extruder as on the plus , Id post a few pictures if I new how to add them , I'm using an iPad and have the pics but do not see a way to download them to this conversation, any where any one know where to add them ?

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Pictures added to posts, let me tell you an easy way to do this.
    1. Create an account at imgur.com
    2. Upload you images to imgur.com
    3. Click on an image and then copy one of the provided links (the links with the IMG tags can be directly pasted into your forum posts here)
    4. Paste the link in your forum message
    This will work with an ipad, android tablet, Mac, PC, linux box, etc

11. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

If you want, you can also upload images to imgur.com without an account. I have yet to create one and can do this from my PC or mobile device.

#11 danzca6, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  12. capecodcharlie

Thanks Waldo & danzca6 , I'll give that a try , and let you know if I'm able to figure it out ,

13. capecodcharlie

Not. Sure if I'm doing the reply right , but I'll try that and let you know if I make out , Thanks Waldo & danzca6

14. capecodcharlie

I'm not having any luck in posting any pictures , but by all the info received I figure it's the thermistor and since this one does not appear to be able to be removed I ordered a complete extruder , I'll keep trying to up load the pictures , but I can not find a place on here to click on to do so , anyone ever sent a picture to be posted on here ?? Thanks

15. capecodcharlie

Just found a way to send the pictures , anybody know what model or anything else about this beast , Thanks

Attached Files:

16. capecodcharlie

Did the pictures post ??. I don't know ??. Who's Harry by the way , it says at the beginning to ask for Harry , but Geof answered , that was great to have someone answer and then everybody else jump in and help , Thanks

17. capecodcharlie

So what try an 8mm nut or 5/16" nut on the rod ??.

18. capecodcharlie

O k , Mark thanks , Can you tell me if the roBo company that I ordered the hexagon extruder from is the same as the one that in this one or at least will fit ?? I just look again at the company Webb site and it says sold out , I ordered two days ago I hope they can for fill the order , looks like they have run out of most all there parts ?? Can Harry tell me what's up ,

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@capecodcharlie are you using your phone to add photos ? I had to turn my resolution all the way down to be avle to add photos. Would error everytime lol

20. capecodcharlie

No I was using my iPad , I beleave an 8mm nut went right down on the rod good a 5/16 started and then jammed , Geof do you work for ROBO ??