1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NEW Y Axis Linear Motion System and Print Bed Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

@1d1 can I get you to send me a conversation with your order number and name.

2. Dark09

Dark09 New Member

I wholeheartedly agree with you... Basically its like buying the 3d printer all over again... hold on, I'm starting to see a trend... lol (/Joke)

3. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I know how frustrated you guys must be, and I sympathize with that.

I just want you to keep this thought in the back of your mind. It seems impossible for someone selling something to be doing it in good intentions, but these upgrade kits are not something they're required to do, and are doing it in good intentions. They're probably honestly losing money on them after counting man hours to prep and ship them.

With that in mind, IF YOUR PRINTER IS NOT OPERATIONAL, please send me a message. I hate prioritizing people but if you're completely dead in the water I want you up and running.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, on the bright side, thermistors are cheap :)

If you really need the bed heated swap it.

I will say that while it is disheartening that they have issues getting them out, they are well worth the money (and mostly the wait). Huge improvement.

6. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

For now I will just print without an HB. It would be nice to do all the needed maintenance/repairs in one disassemble/reassemble rather than several. Of course, the likelihood of doing all that just once is rather unlikely, I know, especially given my personal style proven to require multiple attempts for a single outcome, but, hey, there will be a first time someday? Right?

2 people like this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I waited to do a few things at the same time with the bed upgrade. It was nicer to just have it down once.

8. William

William New Member

I just did the y-axis upgrade. As what's normal for me it didn't go smooth, but there wasn't anything too difficult. It's safe to say that if I can do it, anyone can. Probably the greatest frustrations relate to hole sizes in the central black plate. Just getting screws out or in is harder than it should be. I found that one of my supports didn't have any nuts on the screws. It's interesting what you find when you dig around. I also struggled with getting the vertical rods out and seated all the way in. I ended up using a hammer and got carried away and caused a small crack, but it shouldn't make a difference. I think a template (maybe plastic) to drill holes would have been a better idea rather than supplying a new center part and having to do all the extra work, just my 2 cents. It's a good design and they are definitely improving things.

Now (and it's probably been the case) my Y-limit switch isn't doing its job. The switch has continuity until it closes which seems right. It closes on contact by the bed support. Thanks for any ideas.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am sure you already did, but check the wiring back to the RAMPS from the switch and make sure it is still plugged in.

10. William

William New Member

Mark, Thanks but I checked the continuity after I unplugged it from the board. I'm pretty sure it was plugged in to the correct place knowing where the others go, etc. I think I had this problem before I upgraded. I took a long time off from this whole thing and now I'm back. I'll replug and check again, any other ideas in the meantime?

More on topic: Is there anything I have to do in configuration.h for the new upgraded Y-axis? Thanks.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can't recall anything I did in the firmware that was directly tied to the new rails system.
    Since it is a switch you wouldn't be able to plug it in backwards :)

12. William

William New Member

I'm starting a new thread for the Y-Axis issue, but I noticed the direction is reversed.

13. Knighrider

Knighrider New Member

Where do I go to purchase the heated bed (and other upgrades for that mater?) I saw it the other day but now I can't find it.

nevermind I found it again

#393 Knighrider, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  14. Billm

Billm Member

Jerry, I just received the y axis upgrade.
    1. It did not come with any wiring connectors to make the bed removable.
    2. It came with only 4 bolts instead of 8, to bolt down the bearing plates to the base.
    3. There is no wiring diagram to show how to plug that 8 conductor plug to the SDcard reader and where to plug it to the main board.
    4. The holes in the base do not align with the holes in the bearing plates.
    5. It did not come with a SD card. What type does it take?
    Otherwise I like the design
    Bill

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

#1 they stopped doing due to melting/overload issues with the connectors (just use something hefty and make your own, my suggestion is Anderson Powerpoles)
    #3 I think you can answer from this:
    http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/ind...-and-print-bed-upgrade.1669/page-2#post-12629

3 people like this.
  16. huskerfreak

huskerfreak New Member

I would like to say that after sending my build plate back I did get it back quickly.

Many may know that I have been a bit critical on how Robo is going about there business. I still feel that it would be in there best interest to have a business manager on the payroll and more in house tech support.

As for Billm post I can't see how your holes are not lining up. I would assume that the plates were cnc all at one time and I have not seen anybody else have an issue. The only issue is the new bearing mount plate is thinner then the old so the stepper motor mount screws were too long. I had to get shorter screws. Luckily I work in the RC industry so I have quite few extra screws laying around. As far as the plug goes as Mark said power poles are good option also check any HobbyTown USA or RC car hobby shop as they sell high amperage plugs that are more suited for this application. If I knew all they were going to do is cutoff the molex connector I would have saved Robo money on shipping and time and did it myself.

Again I think the company has unbelievable potential they just need some more help to get them to the next level. We need more Robo companies and less Makerbots in the world

4 people like this.
  17. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

+1

18. Billm

Billm Member

I just measured the new boro glass and it has a .010" hump up in the middle. I haven't even turned the heat on yet! Is this Murphy's law or are all the new glass not flat? My old bed had a .005" hump and I was counting on the new one to be much better.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have seen others (one or two) comment on non-flat glass.
    Mine was off a tiny bit from one end to the other, but I shimmed one end with some sheets of paper (the middle was not off for me).

20. nak1017

nak1017 New Member

Anyone have a status update on where they are with sending out the bed upgrade kits?
    I'm officially down with my bed now not heating at all so I could really use that kit...