1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Print stops halfway, communications message that I can't figure out

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by aznhlfan, May 10, 2016.

1. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I have a question about my Robo R1 Plus that I'm sure can be answered her. I am a newbie to 3D printing so I hope the solution is simple. I just purchased a Robo R1 plus and had an issue with the Arduino and Ramps. I skyped with Brian and he replaced the Arduino and ramps. I installed them, upgraded the firmware, but now it is stopping the print half way through. I checked the g code terminal and I am not getting an error message persay, but this is what I get:
    ->Communication state: Disconnecting
    ->Communication State: Disconnected
    Lost Communication to printer
    ->Communication State: Failed to connect
    ->Read thread has exited.
    I also noticed that it uses com 6 to connect instead of com 5 like it was and like my other Robo R1 Plus.
    What does this message mean and why did it switch com's?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You have to set the Comm your printer uses otherwise it will pick whatever one is open, also might want to check the baudrate. If had issues where the Robo would take whatever comm was open.. I had to shut down all the programs possible of using the USB ports then turn on the robo and plug in the cable. The other option to help with comm issues is a new cord and a powered hub. Might be worth checking out the LCD controller (www.printedsolid.com) their cheap, mostly plug and play and need no firmware work.

What did you upgrade your firmware for?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I think he just reuploaded it due to replacing the hardware (but being certain is good).
    One other thing to note is that on Windows replacing the Arduino can cause a shift in the allocated COM port (a winders thing, not critical). Everything else @Geof said about the new cable, hub, etc. is spot on. Something is nuking your communications.

Geof likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

LCD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

5. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I have a xxl LCD controller that I just ordered, it does the same thing as well, stops mid print. When I received the new arduino board and ramps board from Robo, it was already upgrade with the v2 firmware.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Is the ramps fan running ?

7. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

The fan is running, per above, the computer is losing connection with the printer, not a overheating issue.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If your running an lcd and its doing it and the fan is running... arduino would be my next thought. But if your running lcd then there is no computer ???

9. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I will clear up my question, since I'm new and may not be explaining correctly. I have a LCD that I purchased from printedsolid.com, I also have a new arduino and ramps board that was replaced by robo. The new arduino was upgrade to v2 from when I received it. No matter if I print from the USB and computer, or the LCD controller via SD card, the printer stops halfway thru the print. When I used the USB I could see that the printer is loosing connection with the computer, but using the LCD controller and SD card there is no computer involved. So this is why I am confused and replaced the arduino and ramps.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The problem is that when you print from the LCD there is no feedback from the firmware that you can use to figure out what made it fail. The only way I know of to see what errors are raised is to hook up a computer via USB and monitor the print from that (you can still launch the print from the SD card, but the program can monitor the GCode terminal)

11. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I did that, I reported the message in the gcode communications window when the print stopped. I posted the message in the first post

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is usually an actual Marlin error code (which I do not see in your post). Make sure you scroll all the way back through the log.

If there is NO Marlin error code then that is just straight up a total failure of the USB comm* and is likely another bad Arduino. I would suggest you get back in touch with Robo support.

*as if you just unplugged the cable mid-print

13. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

So I need to do a whole other print and watch the gcode log, when it fails then I have to scroll through the hour print log and look for some other error?

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Do a new print until it fails.
    Export the entire gcode log (how depends on your software -- I don't use matter control so I can't tell you how to do it from there).

Open it up in Wordpad and search for the word ERROR.

If you don't find it there there is no Marlin error logged. If there is then we need to know which one.

If you are using mattercontrol the docs are over here:

http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/Main_Page

15. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I am heading off to work now, I will do that tonight. Do I need to do another print, or can I go back and get the gcode from last night's print?

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Unless you saved it off as a text file it is gone.

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I can tell you i had 2 bad arduino from robo. My guess would be static. They wernt in an esd package...they were wrapped in bubble wrap lol. Id hit them up and inform them what the new board is doing.

18. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I will try that again, I tried last night and the phone system was down at robo. The new one I just got from them was wrapped in bubble wrap alone also.

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yea im not a huge fan of that. My 35 dollar ramps kit comes with arduino/ramps and stepper drivers and a lcd all in esd bahs lol

20. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I may have to just go down and buy a arduino from the electronics store. Cheap and easy, I will use the existing ramps if that is not the problem when I check the gcode for errors

sent from my Samsung Note 5 using Tapatalk