1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

printing in air

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nemesiscoins, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

I cant seem to properly level the printer.
    I went through the auto level procedure and when it prints it prints either a few millimeters over the bed or a few tries later, an inch over the bed. any help to sole the issue.
    also if I don't want to auto level how do I level it?
    I figure I just need to bring the nozzle down to the bed, but then when I began to print it moves inches above the plate and starts printing.

wet behind the ears newbie

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I would talk about leveling mine, but you have the later model and I am unsure what may have changed in the version that has the auto-level configured.

Generally, you move the head to the center (using manual control options in software) and then raise it an inch and lastly home the Z. Check the clearance. Adjust Z home switch screw, repeat until the Z home is where it needs to be (less than a sheet of notebook paper, but you can start that high and adjust down from there). From there it is test print/tweak repeat until the first layer looks correct. See tesseracts many posts about this (with pictures).

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Make sure your switches are activated. If it just moves up that means it's seeing a closed circuit, aka the end stop is deactivated, triggering a home.

4. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I have a similar issue with MC lately. It was working fine until I threw my nuts because the filament got jammed and raised the print head all the way up.

I tried to re-level and once the print starts it starts an inch above the bed. I noticed also that the z axis screw was not even close to the switch. I tried lowering the print head until I had my height screw touching the switch. Print starts again above the switch.

Had to use Repetier which is working properly.

Not sure why MC has that probl lately. Ot wasn't always like that. In fact I liked printing with it.

Any ideas as to why the head is 1 inch above the bed and the z axis screw is not even touching? MC only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

please excuse my ignorance but im not versed yet in knowing part names or things like threw my nuts.
    I am a fast learner though.
    Please let me which post by tesseract explains leveling with pictures.
    Also it would help if there was a picture of the robo 3d naming the parts within , is there one?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

7. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

Also like to mention things that happen starting up the first time.
    When I first set up the printer the bed moved back and hit the wall (too close)
    it made a grinding sound and went off. I restarted and it was fine. After leveling and not getting a good print
    I tried leveling while pausing a print (comb.stl) using controls on matterc. I brought the head down and unpaused the job but the print head went back up again.
    I tried manually leveling by turning off the auto leveling and using the controls on matterc. Doing so I brought the head
    down too low and the head rested on the plate while the nut went out of the "settings". When I brought the head back up the wires on the left got caught in the nut and the "housing' and spun around. Phew almost ripped the wires.
    I backed the nut and post on that side to remove the wires so I think I may have made the post mis-aligned with the other side. Now when I try to use the auto level function I move the head down and I get a message that its as low as it can go, yet im 1/2 inch from the bed. I moved the "print head" down by manually turning the post on both sides down.
    After a few times of doing this method the auto leveling doesn't give me a message anymore, but when I start the comb.stl job the print head moves glides across the bed rising up and then lowering too high above the bed.

Sorry about the long post, but I think its best to explain what happened. Also is there any documentation to explain the matterc. software? Things like the "home" button and 'unlock' button are a mystery to me.

many many thanks for all the help you guys have given

8. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

Thanks Mike I'll watch those before I begin again today. I saw the getting started guide but not sure of the others.

9. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

simple question, do I heat the bed if I use painters tape method?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can (I do)

11. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

Im checking my endstops and cant find one for the right hand side. can someone please tell me where all the locations are. when I click on x+ axis (is that how you say it) it goes to the end and vibrates trying to go further.

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If it tries to home right the motor could be plugged in backwards

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are only end stops at the bottom of the Z and the 'bottom' of the X and the 'bottom' of the Y (0, 0, 0). There is not (for example a right and a left X end stop. So if you keep hitting (+) on the X it will go beyond the end of the bed. That is why the software needs to know the size of the bed (it calculates max X, Y, Z from the end stops + your defined sizes).

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Also after the x and y home it'll move to the center of the bed to go to z0. If you have a fault on the x stop and it tries to go to the center on the end it could collide with the right.

15. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

Tried again a few minutes ago, and while it didn't stick it did move correctly.
    I think one mistake I made was , I did the auto print leveling in the configurations of matterc. and then left it enabled
    when I started a print job. I saw on one of the videos that the auto leveling needs to be disabled.
    Am I correct about that?
    i'll be putting on tape in a few and giving it a try , but Game of thrones will drag me off until tomorrow.
    Many thanks for all the help

16. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Throwing your nuts. It's a term used to describe when your z axis which is going up and down, it rides on plastic parts that are help up with nuts on the z axis screw. If that plastic part is lifted above the nuts, there will be nothing for the z height to ride on. Thus you've threw your nuts.

It can happen if you get your filament stuck at the spool. Your head will continue feeding filament and the head will be lifted up until it can't go anymore. It won't be on the nuts and your print is as is. Gotta start again. Re-levelling is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

I gave it a couple of tries and even with abs. The print head/nozzle rides about 2mm above the bed and the plate doesn't seem to accept it. Most times it extrudes without touching the plate. It appears the print head needs to be slightly lower about 1mm. is it possible to adjust.

18. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

Used the x y home and it starts flush on the plate and ripped the painters tape.
    oy vay Done for the day.

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Make sure your Z endstop switches are fully engaged

20. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

where is that located.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.