1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

printing in air

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nemesiscoins, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

[​IMG]

On both sides

2. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

rewatched the auto bed leveling video and noticed my print head comes down on the plate more , almost throwing my nuts . Yay got a chance to use 3d lingo

3. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

sorry for stupid questions.
    What is homing and I thought the switches were the angled pieces of metal that bend closed when the screw hits it.
    How would I make sure the end stop switches are engaged

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Loosen the screw on it, push up the switch until you hear it activate. tighten the screw.

5. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Mike, after updating to the latest version of MC, it starts the print in the air. The z axis screw is not being touched. As if the MC is not concerned with starting at the proper level. When I home the printer in MC, it engages the screw and position properly. Then, when the print starts, the print head moves up and starts printing, in the air, and the z axis screw is not even close to the switch.

Switched to Repetier and it's working properly.

Hmm....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

7. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

Does the firmware affect me? if so how to install.
    I noticed one side had a switch not closing completely and I think I fixed it.
    Now I noticed "y xis" going back hits the switch on the bottom plate but still rumbles as if trying to go further.
    Normal?

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

No don't install that.

Your Y cables might be getting caught.

2 people like this.
  9. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

Good thing I didn't install then.
    when you say home the printer what do you mean. I was thinking you click on the all button under movement controls in MC software. is that right.
    When closing the switches on either end I was getting frustrated because I had the print head all the way on one end. I then moved it to the center and it was easy, but still cant get anything to stick.
    How high should the nozzle be over the plate?
    Also I checked the cable under the plate, I moved it slightly but looking under the plate I can see the switch closing but still the bed keeps trying to go.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Ok so I highly encourage you to learn more behind 3d printers IN GENERAL. there's some pretty big knowledge gaps that need filling. Wikipedia is your friend.
    Homing is the process of telling the printer where it is in the world. When it's first turned on the nozzle could be anywhere and it doesn't know where this is. It uses what are called end stops to locate the 0,0,0 point in the "world"
    Once it knows the 0 points it then knows how far it can safely moved based on what you define is the build volume.
    When the printer homes it does X and Y first, then using those values it moves to the center of the bed to home the Z.
    If your printer does not home properly, and it tries to move to the center of the bed it has a good chance of crashing.

The All button under homing, as you could guess, homes all. You can home each individual axis if you want, but you need to home x and y before Z.
    You should watch the getting started video for the other questions. They go over first layer height.
    Also Inject the G29 code after the G28 in your startup Gcode

11. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

ok I'll take your advice and learn a bit for the day or two and get back at it.
    Thanks a bunch
    Herb

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If I come across a beginners guide to 3d printers I'll let you know. Most of what i'm finding is just about the state of all of 3d printing in general, and not very specific to actually operating and understanding how they work.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

14. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

Thanks for the links. Im going to look through the building process you guys have on you tube , and look for some beginners info and especially how to use the software. My main problem is getting the print to stick but Its especially hard when I don't understand what your saying.

15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Despite all of the tricks we talk about (painters tape, glue stick, hairspray, etc.) the real secret is the first layer. More specifically the first layer height. That is the real 'secret' or trick. If you get that set correctly the prints just work (even on bare glass). Sure you can do fine tuning with temperatures and extrusion rates and so forth, but the prints will be good once you nail that. Sadly there is no formula to use (do x then y then z and tahdah!) you have to tune each printer a little differently.

Not quite consumer grade products yet.

2 people like this.
  16. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

I agree! Im trying desperately to get that first layer , but also working with little knowledge.
    Patience and time.

17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Pla is much trickier to get the first layer right on. That's why i prefer working with ABS for one thing, it adheres well initially, though warping is the downside.

Be sure you have a fresh coating of adhesive material, preferably hairspray, just a little bit of heat, and a nozzle very close to the bed. If it comes out stuck to the nozzle try to pause the print, lower Z 0.1mm and try again. Resume and repeat until it seems to adhere. Keep note of these drops and add it to your offset value.

18. Nemesiscoins

Nemesiscoins New Member

Question I want to be sure of the location of the z end stop you said Loosen the screw on it, push up the switch until you hear it activate. tighten the screw.
    The image you included in your above post and in the red square I believe is the switch. Its a protrusion on top that clicks up and down Correct?
    Started reading the http://guide.robo3dprinter.com/ and its looks different than mine.

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yes that guide is out of date. The auto level system is new as of may, new guides are being worked on presently and are due out soon.

You are correct in your assumptions on the switch. The screw is to the right of the red square in the picture.

20. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I concur and we started with ABS exclusively, but (to quote) "I got better!" and really PLA is the easier material to use overall. There are so many PLA like materials these days you miss out if you don't learn it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.