1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Problem #2 with brand new printer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Hopcycle, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

So right out of the box the printer didn't work correctly. Troubleshooting led me to the ramps board and 2 weeks later one arrived from Robo 3D. Replaced the board, printed the test cube and right after a 21 hour print with no issues. The next day changed from PLA filament to ABS, started print and it went about 2 hours and lost communication with computer. I picked a different part, started another print and this one went somewhere between 6-8 hours and then same problem. Absolutely sure it is not a computer issue. I did verify the fan that cools the board was working both times. This unit is only few weeks old and only made 2 prints with it, but I don't relish the idea of dealing with Robo customer service again. Any thoughts from you guys?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Either it is a flaky USB connection or a bad Arduino board.
    Try slicing then printing from the SD card and see if it still misbehaves.
    If not, it was the USB cable.

3. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

Thanks Mark. I tried twice to print from sd card but haven't been able to get that process to work at all I have the lcd controller and generic board sitting here but was hesitant to install because this unit is brand new and should be under warranty. however after my first experience resolving warranty issue, I'm leaning toward chucking idea of warranty and installing new board setup. I was leaning toward board myself, which is a shame considering it's a replacement with only 2 prints on it.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can schedule a one-on-one with them and make them show you how to get the SD card printing working. Yes, it is easier with the card reader in the add-on LCD (because it is a full-size Sd card) but the stock microSD card reader should work or they should fix that.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you are not against spending a little more then go and get a new high quality USB cable and try that.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Id lean towards a communication issue. I had nothing but problems printing usb. Lcd controller and going strong still. The kit you bought has one in it i think?

Hopcycle likes this.
  7. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

My work schedule is unpredictable so their scheduling process doesn't work well for me. The card reader on this looks to be full size sd card and thats what I was using. That may be the issue. I was hoping to use the printer to print the case for the lcd add-on hence some of my frustration. I don't have a micro here tonight to try. I just hate the thoughts of the aggravation I know I'll go through trying to contact tech suport. I think I'll just say heck with warranty and proceed with upgrades, and amazon for any other parts I need lol

8. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

I'm with you Geof on the communication issue. The lcd kit does have another usb cable. Might give that a shot, but if I can find the time, I think I'll just bite the bullet and do the lcd ubgrade.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The lcd upgrade isn't so bad. Are you getting any errors in your gcode terminal when the printer stops? Maybe paste the error here for us?

Hopcycle likes this.
  10. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

I started another print to see if it logs an error. I sure will post if it it does and thank you both!

11. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

So heres an update. I changed usb cable to a know good one. Printed calibration box with no issue. With heightened hopes started another print of a part I had designed. It made it about 1% and stopped. The g cod terminal showed this in log Lost communication to Printer ->Communication State:failedtoconnect ->Read Thread has exited. I hit the connect button and computer connects to printer with no issues. I print the small bridge file no issue immediately after reconnecting

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

hmmm....are you using a powered usb hub between the printer and the computer? If yes and it still fails I'd suggest a new board or that controller. If you perfer to have a case for it prior to installing shoot me a PM and I'll print you one.

13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If there is any hiccup in the USB data stream you will lose connection, such as PC/Mac going to sleep or anything else that can disprupt communications. That is why most people would suggest you print from SD card or from an LCD controller of some kind that has an SD card. Using a PC/Mac tethered to a 3D printer is the most problematic method of using any 3D printer. Don't forget that 3D printers are in their relative infancy and are not really printers at all. They do not have any buffer to speak of to store your g-code file so it is doled out to the printer one command at a time. Since print files may contain many thousands of instructions you can see how that port will be very busy. Any disruption to that flow will result in an error.

Hopcycle and Geof like this.
  14. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

I'm not using a hub at all. Direct connect to computer. I think my best route is to just add the lcd controller that will free up the computer I use for my modeling also The kit I have is the Kuman kit using reprap discount red board. So heres a question, can I unplug the robo3d card reader and install the header adapter that came with the controller and basically do a plug and play to the oem board or do I have to also go through the process of installing the generic ramps/

15. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yes

Hopcycle likes this.
  16. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

I agree with you and that's where I was leaning with all this. I was thinking the lack of buffer was the issue. I'm no electronic wiz but heck even a $50 color printer has a buffer which makes me question why these 3d printers don't. I've owned a cnc plasma and a cnc vinyl plotter for 12 years and never a issue with either and both use the stepper motors and run off g code. Looks like these manufaturers wpuld take a lesson from some of the earlier similar technologies. Thanks for your replies, I'm going to try the plug/play deal with the controller and oem ramp board next.

17. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Back in the pre-R1+Plus days people would just disconnect the SD card reader and plug in the LCD controller, no firmware or board fuckery required.

It should still function the same way if you're using the common LCD controller.

Hopcycle likes this.
  18. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

This is the R1+ but I'm going to give that a shot anyway.

19. daniel871

The reason for this is because the R1+ is the dumbest printer design from the year it came out when even the basic RepRap printers had LCD controllers.

It introduced a deliberate weakness in the printer's workflow. Hell, even your bog standard 2D printers have some kind of LCD readout on them to tell you when they're out of ink/paper/etc.

20. daniel871

The only thing that changed between the R1 & R1+ was the way the Z-axis was controlled and how the screws were integrated into the stepper motors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.