1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Problem #2 with brand new printer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Hopcycle, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

Thanks for the replies Mark.. It's going to be about 12 hours before I can get back to it. I have tried the contrast potentiometer (it thats the on on the front left) it is the smaller full graphic and I think I have it congiured. when I get back home I'm going to pull bottom and reverify my connection. I had read that some cables were pinned wrong and you had to file the notch and invert. I even tried that.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The good news is that plugging the cables in wrong is not fatal (at least not short term) so there is that :)

I had one that I pulled out of a drawer for someone recently and when I went to hook it up the contrast pot simply fell off. OOps. In the bin that one went. They are not high quality items at those prices and defective ones are not uncommon. The good news there is that

1) they are cheap
    and
    2) once you get one working it will likely last forever

3. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

That is the silver lining....I guess lol I'm thinking to go ahead and order another, just in case. worst case, I'd have a spare or an upgrade to another printer in the future. now that raises the question, do I order another the same or order the XXL version. what seems to be the general consensus on preference/

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

My preference is Full Graphics, but some love the XXL (text only).

Hopcycle likes this.
  5. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

From my research that was my preference also. From my experience I'm hating all thing 3d printer related lol

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sort of depends on what you use it for.

I don't really 'use' the display on either of the Robos for anything other than at-a-glance status checking.
    On the Delta we actually use the LCD for control of it on occasion so the difference would matter more there.

7. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

Being a newbie to this world, I'm not sure of my use of it rather than to resolve the usb communication problem and get to printing but I thought the full graphics might come in handy in the future

8. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

I'm marking this thread solved and would like to thank the great people here for their constructive input You guys kept me from digging out the sledgehammer! As an update I'm chalking this up to idiot operator. I'm not sure what I did wrong, possibly cables crossed when updating firmware or maybe the header adapter not on correct. Either way I removed everything, started with a good nights rest and reinstalled everything. Display worked great and I've just started a print from SD card and first layer completed fine. You guys are wonderful. Side note/question. When going through the LCD menus and verifying operation, I notice there is not a Z axis manual move like there is for x and y. would this be difficult to add to firmware? I'm using the Robo3dV2 modified with the lcd changes?

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Z axis manual move only appears if you select 1mm or less movement. It's a Marlin thing, not specific to Robo.

Hopcycle and Geof like this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

its a darn good thing to....I'd hate to think of how many times i've sent my x sailing by spinning to far lol. Dont want that on the z :D

11. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

wonderful! I never want to open the Arduino again lol. Thanks for all the help!!

12. Hopcycle

Hopcycle Member

yeah I could see that being bad lol

Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.