1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo enclosure

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Printed Solid, May 14, 2014.

1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Mike Kelly and I have been working on designing and sourcing parts and materials for an enclosure for the robo. The intention of this enclosure is, of course, strictly for safety;) . However, as a side effect, you will likely find that it does an excellent job of keeping in the heat and keeping out drafts to improve the quality of your ABS and nylon prints. It would also be possible to incorporate some of the activated carbon filters on thingiverse to help reduce ABS fumes.
    It will benefit in reducing warpage of other materials as well.

Panels are 1/8" thick laser cut acrylic. It will be shipped as a flat packed kit including laser cut panels and hardware. You will have to align the pieces and solvent weld them together (we're working on whether we will be able to include the glue).

Based on the quotes we have received so far, pricing on this, at least for the first group order, will be $90 including US shipping. International shipping will add an additional $25-$40 depending on your country. There is some extra space in the box, so I can also squeeze in some other items from my shop for no added shipping charge.

Before we invest in the materials, we'd like to get an idea of interest. Once we have at least 25 people committed to buying, we will be able to ship in 2-3 weeks.

Please respond here or PM myself or Mike Kelly if you're interested.

rear.jpeg front.jpeg

5 people like this.
  2. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

Sign me up.

2 people like this.
  3. Hockeyjoe21

Hockeyjoe21 New Member

I'm interested.

4. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Looks awesome. But already have an inclosure.

5. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

Is it easily removable?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The front is hinged for easy access. The rear is very easy to remove, just slides out of seats.

We're designing a latch to hold the front up for while you're inside the printer.

7. Denys Dmytriyenko

But once on a hinge, the front is not easily removable, is it?

I'm looking at using it as a temporary solution, so I would appreciate if it was easy to remove and install later on.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The rear latch design would work just fine on the front. Just out of curiosity why do you want it temporary?

We could look into a removable hinge design as well if that's an issue with people.

9. Denys Dmytriyenko

If I understand how the back part is secured by sliding it from the top into the latches, then having the same system for the front part would be just perfect!

I mostly print PLA, so I don't always have a need for the enclosure. It does make the printer a lot more bulky. Hence I was thinking of installing it only when need to print some ABS...

BTW, swinging front panel to the top would interfere with top-mounted spools. Also, I just realized that the front panel would also interfere with the LCD that I have mounted on the right corner.

2 people like this.
  10. Denys Dmytriyenko

Here's what I'm talking about...

robofull.jpg

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

In terms of bulk, it does add weight making it harder to move. Though it only adds 20mm over what the stock robo needs, so in that sense it's well contained. I know PLA like rapid cooling, but I don't see any issue with keeping it enclosed for PLA prints. I do it all the time.

I never cared for tony's design. I made my own: https://cloudup.com/csFilIJdHDY This will be released before the kits go on sale. If you want to help beta test let me know.

I'll have different feet options for the swivel. I only could had 15mm of clearance so I had to make my own, though I know Tony uses 20mm

3 people like this.
  12. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

Sign me up please. I'm sure to fill the box with goodies when you're ready to ship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Denys Dmytriyenko

@Mike, hmm, that would resolve the interference. Sure, sign me up...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

14. fabrice

fabrice New Member

Bonjour,des que vous avez une chambre à la vente contactez moi.

Cordialement

FRANCE

15. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

= Hello, once you have a room to sell contact me.

cordially

:)

16. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

I'm in. Have you put any thought into locking brackets on the side with the hinge to hold it open when you need to get inside? From the pictures it just looks like it will fall back down without any supports

17. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

I like your LCD mount design in general even without the enclosure.
    If you decide to design one for the Full Graphics LCD, I would certainly try it out. ;)

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've given latches some thought but haven't come up with anything I loved yet.

Based on Denys's feedback it might be advisable to switch to a design where the front could either be lifted off for easy removal or use a printed hinge instead of a piano to allow users to choose what they want.

If people wouldn't mind saying they'd prefer Hinged or Lift Off, I'd appreciate it.

Ship me a full graphics and I'll model it in :p

Seriously though if I can get the LCD model I can mod my design for it.

2 people like this.
  19. Denys Dmytriyenko

As I mentioned before, I'd vote for "Lift Off" option for both front and back. But if it comes in a kit, it can be an option for the user to choose - they can install a hinge, or install a second pair of sliding latches on the front. Right?

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Deciding on using 1 version for both options or 2 versions if people like the piano hinge. If they don't like the piano hinge we'll go with a printed hinge.