1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo enclosure

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Printed Solid, May 14, 2014.

1. Madgrayhatt3r

Madgrayhatt3r New Member

Wow, that's big! I already DIY'ed my own enclosure from plexi-glass. I think I spent about $30 on the whole setup :) and it doesn't have a larger footprint than the ROBO itself, unlike this giant rectangle "upgrade." I think that this upgrade would look better if you guys redesigned the top portion of the ROBO case. This upgrade looks kinda tacky.

On a separate note, I am still awaiting my bed upgrade that I ordered over 4 weeks ago. I was told that it would only take 3 weeks to arrive... I'm wondering what the deal is here. I have already emailed the ROBO team twice this week, and still haven't gotten an answer, not even a "hey, we received your inquiry and will get back to you shortly" kind of reply. Needless to say, I'm not very keen on ordering another upgrade while I have been waiting over a month for my other upgrade to arrive. Hmmphhh.

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Hey, I appreciate the feedback, but Mike and I do not work for Robo3D. The two of us and Tesseract volunteered to help moderate since it didn't look like it was happening otherwise.
    We do not have any ability to change the design of the Robo housing or to make them respond to your emails faster. So, taking shots at this project because you are not happy that you haven't heard back on the y-axis upgrade isn't really going to accomplish anything. A lot of people have DIY'd their own enclosures. You can put a big cardboard box over the thing for free. This is just an option.

3 people like this.
  3. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

If you take a moment to read the Y-Axis upgrade thread you will have your answer.

4. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Thanks for your feedback.

In response to your concerns. This case only adds 13mm (695mm total (27in)) length over stock travel (682mm (26.5in)). The rectangular shape is not ideal, I agree. I wanted to add a slant in the front but laser cutters typically only work in 1 axis so I designed this to be easily laser cut as well.

The next design criteria was maintaining the max build volume. I've seen a lot of 'enclosures' that don't consider this, so were the user to try and print something large it would hit on the enclosure and fail. What's the point of such a large build volume if it's not usable?

The final design criteria was using the stock lid. I personally like the way the RoBo3D looks and wanted to enhance that look. I feel like I accomplished this and am very satisfied with the looks and functionality of the enclosure.

I've seen a few enclosures that scrap the top lid and just build a box around the build volume. I find this ruins the aesthetic appeal of the RoBo and didn't want any part of that.

For reference could you share a picture of your enclosure?

I'm always looking for design inspiration and the open source community can benefit from the share and exchange of information. The laser files will be available to the public around the time sales will start.

And as PrintedSolid mentioned, we have no affiliation with RoBo3D. This is a project design by the community, for the community.

6 people like this.
  6. Hockeyjoe21

Hockeyjoe21 New Member

I'd vote for the lift off one as well just so I can easily get it completely out of the way if need be.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think it needs a hinge since if you're sliding it on it can't be in motion. With the hinge you can time it to open and close during a print.

That said I'll start designing a removable hinge to offer both options.

8. Hockeyjoe21

Hockeyjoe21 New Member

Even better.
    :)

9. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

My vote would be for both options :)

If I need to get at a job whilst it's printing I want to open the top and do what I gotta do....

If I'm wanting to clean the plate, make a hardware change, paint pixies all over the innards, I wanna be able to easily remove the enclosure.

Either way I'm gonna love the enclosure as it will help maintain a constant temp and keeps my robo looking like a robo :).

Cheers from New Zealand. Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Like Mike mentioned, we're thinking of a removable hinge. Something like a printable door hinge where the pin slides out.
    Clearances will have to be a little looser than a door hinge because you're probably not going to want to tap on the printer with a hammer. :)

Sound good?

11. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

That sounds ideal

2 people like this.
  12. Deadwood

Deadwood Active Member

how about a long channel fastened to the robo that fits the blade of the hinge snugly then you drop the hinge into it and lift it out when required

13. Printed Solid

Staff Member

Maybe. The design can't really tolerate much vertical motion of the cover while the printer is moving or you might accidentally hit the cover on the bed which wouldn't be too good. That's why we got to the conclusion of using pinned hinges.

14. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Given that the enclosure is made of plastic, would the heat overtime ever warp the enclosure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Nope. You'd damage your stepper motors before getting hot enough to do anything to the acrylic.

16. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Can you post some pics? I'm interested to see how you managed to make an enclosure no larger then the robo but still allowing the bed to move out its full length.

17. alonsoa

alonsoa New Member

Put me down for the enclosure! Glad you are offering it as an add-on.

2 people like this.
  18. Printed Solid

Staff Member

That gets us to 14 by my count of responses to the thread and PMs. Anyone else lurking and interested? I'd like to get to 25 before we have the first batch made.

19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I like the idea, I salute the effort in the design!
    However, personally, I'll wait and invest in an R2 or something with a heated chamber designed in from the get-go :) I will for the time being just avoid ABS for much of anything. Nothing else has given me the sort of issues I would need to fix with a heated chamber.

2 people like this.
  20. Robb

Robb Member

If I get my printer soon I will order one.