1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo3d r1+ Einsy firmware help

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by jayden17, Aug 5, 2018.

1. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

I swapped my broken r1+ ramps board for an einsy board. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a firmware for it and I do not have a lot of skill with arduino or configuring marlin firmware. So if someone has already swapped boards and have configured marlin for it I would be very grateful if you could share it.

Thanks,
    Jayden

#1 jayden17, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Jayden why didn't you swap for another Arduino 2560 / RAMPS combination. I have not seen a version of Marlin that works on the Einsy board, but honestly I have never looked for one.

3. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

I switched to an einsy mainly for reliability. The robo3d ramps has given me trouble a few times and no longer functions. Bought a cheap one off amazon and that came broken. I figured $120 for an einsy vs $150 for r1+ ramps was better. I also hoped to be able to setup extra features that my mk3 has with it such as crash detection and power loss detection. This is the official marlin for the einsy github.com/ultimachine/Marlin/tree/marlin-1.1.5-einsy0.5c however I am yet to see a custom one for any printers other then the mk3.

4. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

I think I should be able to configure it. But I am very confused on bed leveling

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

well really you are going to have to merge the CONFIGURATION.H settings specific to the Robo from the one you have (R1/R1+/Etc) into the one they provide on GitHub. Some of it will be board specific and some will be printer specific so you have to merge the printer details into the version they have. Generally that is pretty straight forward -- bed size, end-stop styles, etc. If they are using the 1.1 branch of marlin that is significantly newer/different that the 1.0 branch that the Robo was using and there are a lot of changes in autoleveling.

jayden17 likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

we might can help, but it is going to be an experiment

7. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

Thanks, I have been able to get some of it configured however I can't figure out how to setup the endstops, Graphical smart controller, or as I stated earlier leveling. Interestingly the z endstops seem to always be triggered but the rest just dont work. I did remember to invert z. Its wired to the probe spot on the einsy. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Z endstops are inverted. (open = triggered, not closed) so make sure you have those set for inverted.
    I'll take a look tomorrow at the rest of it.

edit: I know you said you did :) I will review it.
    Not sure without research where those go on that board and maybe it already has it inverted internally

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I think you forgot to set
    Code:
    #define FIX_MOUNTED_PROBE
    then you need to uncomment one of the 5 leveling choices
    Code:
    //#define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_3POINT
    //#define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_LINEAR //? uncomment later
    //#define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_BILINEAR
    //#define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_UBL
    //#define MESH_BED_LEVELING
    By default Robo uses AUTO_BED_LEVELING_LINEAR. Personally I think that leveling sucks, its as bad as having no leveling whatsoever. UBL is the best so far, but really needs an LCD enabled. MESH is the same way, just a bit less automated than UBL.
    The Full Graphics smart controller is already enabled in your configuration. If you don't have one, get one. If you have the 4 line LCD then you need to disable the full graphics and enable #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER instead.

#9 WheresWaldo, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  10. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

Ok, Thanks wasn't quite sure what to look for the auto leveling before. I do have a graphical display connected but I may not have connected it properly. Before I flashed the firmware to the lcd. It was flickering and beeping occasionally. I had it set up before with RAMPS.

Still unable to get endstops to work. unsure why.

#10 jayden17, Aug 6, 2018
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Attach your pins_EINSYRAMBO.h

12. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

Ok, I have added my newest configuration and the pins file on top.
    by the way code won't compile after adding leveling
    getting this error
    #error "Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN requires Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING
    Right now i am set to linear leveling but that may change if i get screen running

#12 jayden17, Aug 6, 2018
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So you have to make sure #DEFINE Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING is not commented out. Or you have another issue with the EINSY version of PINS.h

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are a lot of dependencies coded up into Marlin that way ... it removes you from trying compile impossible versions/scenarios.

15. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

Ok fixed leveling thanks.

16. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

Update: Still have not figured out endstops after enabling sd support screen keeps blinking. Motors seemed to have completely quit.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

side note: I am not a fan of the Rambo boards. We have one in our delta and I try to never update it or touch it :)

Not that it is in any way helpfull... sorry.

The Rambo boards typically have integrated stepper drivers. But I doubt all of them have quit.

Geof likes this.
  18. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

I thought it would be an upgrade from RAMPS. Are these boards usually unreliable??? So far I have not had good luck.
    I know it can be setup to not need endstops. But I don't see why it would not work with them. There are plugs for them. I cant see any reason why motors dont work

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have not personally used the RAMBO boards or their clones, the simplicity of the RAMPS and the ability to swap out drivers is just so much easier to deal with. I cannot say anything about the reliability of those boards. A real upgrade to RAMPS / Marlin might be more along the lines of the DUET board or maybe a Smoothie board.

@Geof I think has used machines with a lot of different controller boards maybe he has some thoughts.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member