1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo3d r1+ Einsy firmware help

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by jayden17, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The only machine I have that uses the Rambo is the Prusa MK2. I have replaced that board 3x. I do not like them or recommend them. Frankly with the I3 set up the R1 series has, you will not gain much of anything other than the UI/web controls with a Duet. I'd personally stick with ramps arduino for those machines (and have on all mine).

On something like the R2 or similar gantry style machines I'd go with a Duet wifi board (silent step sticks, etc).

In the end its totally up to you but really the main "kill" of the ramps in the Robos is the heatbed circuit, install an SSR (solid state relay- there is a thread on it or a few) and you take that load off the ramps board. (at least that has been my experience with the couple R1 series machines I have)

2. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

:oops:Maybe I should of stuck with RAMPS. I would still like to see if I can get my einsy to work just for the features it could add.
    However, if I fail I will probably switch right back to RAMPS.

mark tomlinson, WheresWaldo and Geof like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you really want to add some sauce just put OctoPi in front of the printer. You will love it. I have a thread on that in mods section.

jayden17 likes this.
  4. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

Thanks, but already added an octopi. I am curious how you mounted your camera(if you added one) since I don't have a mount yet. If you could link your post that would be great. Can't seem to find it.

5. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'll have to get a picture, but it got mounted to a paint stir stick that extends out from the bed :)
    So it moves, with the bed. Interesting perspective to say the least.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The other R1 had it mounted to a spot on the side and the C2 is also off to the side. The Delta has it mounted on the effector (so it moves with the extruder and boy can it make you seasick)

8. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

Ahhhh ok thats makes sense.

9. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

Everything except endstops work now.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

11. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

Sounds super familiar. They seem to be stuck in the same place I am:(. I don't know what i'm missing. My main problem is there is very little documentation on the board anywhere so there is limited troubleshooting:confused:.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, one of the reasons I am not a RAMBO/RAMBO Clone fan. There Is a wealth of information on some boards (Arduino/RAMPS, Smoothie and the like) others are far less well used and documented.

13. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

With my experience with this board that is definitely an major advantage.

14. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

15. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

I have been trying to do z on probe plug using middle 2 maybe It doesn't work that way:confused:

16. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

nevermind its fixed now

17. jayden17

jayden17 New Member

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

well........... the rambo (einsy) is going to have different pin outs and designations. I really doubt that a ramps board has even remotely close to the same. I'd imagine the cooling fan not running automatically means it is hooked up to an incorrect pin (should be 12V all the time, or on a switched pin that comes on after XXX.XX temperature).
    I really cant be of much help as I do not like Rambo boards, like I like even less than ramps ;). Sorry I can be more help. May want to load up your firmware and some photos that are labeled as to what wires are going to what pins so someone can get eyes on it.

jayden17 likes this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am leaning towards what @Geof is trying to say ... it isn't the firmware :)
    Even if it is the firmware without any experience on that board to assist you ... you are the pioneer, blazing the trail.

You might consider another firmware (but I can't point you to a specific spot for help there either). I have a Rambo, but it runs repetier firmware and I have edited it exactly once to add an E3D :)

jayden17 and Geof like this.
  20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The only "similar" machine I know of with a rambo is the Prusa MK 2/3. I have sold mine off so cant take photos for you, but you can certainly look at their firmware and landing spots on the board to double check your work as a somewhat of a starting place. sorry but without hands on and in it, its near impossible for me to envision what is happening. If cooling is the only issue (on the cold end) just run that fan to the power supply's 12V and continue with your testing?

jayden17 likes this.