1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplified Titan Mount

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Yogi, May 11, 2016.

1. Yogi

Yogi Member

2. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Thanks! That's really odd that the extrusion was in reverse. This stepper shipped with connector attached, right?

3. Yogi

Yogi Member

Yeah it was an integral connector. When I looked at the wire colors on the wire shipped with it vs the stock wire from the robo3d, you could see they were switched around reverse. Oh well, all I had to do was pop off the bottom plate of the Robo, unplug the extruder wire, turn it 180 degrees and plug it back in.

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  4. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Nice!

I guess I didn't have that problem since i used the smaller motor that had no plug and i had to make my own plug.

5. KTMDirtFace

What shipping did you select from stepper online? and how much was it? most of them say $0.0 and please contact us.

6. Yogi

Yogi Member

I did the basic/cheapest dhl shipping. Total after shipping was about $20

You have to sign for dhl btw, or leave a form downloaded from dhl to waive the signature. Just an FYI.

7. KTMDirtFace

Yea, generally everything from china ends up at the post office and I have to go sign for it and pick it up. DHL or not.

Thanks

8. Yogi

Yogi Member

Ditched the chain, going back to a wire loom for the foreseeable future. Just ended up a pain when trying to work on the extruder.

Printing PETG now, the nut is about halfway on the tension scale. Really hoping it works out, if so I'll go back to trying to get ABS working (my preferred material).

IMG_1756.JPG

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  9. KTMDirtFace

Yep ditched the chain on mine as well. it didn't provide any benefit other than looking fancy.

Oh I ordered a couple of those 25mm deep motors yesterday too.

10. Yogi

Yogi Member

Wasn't planing on uploading it but since you are ditching the chain I may as well share this. Will be printing it out and swapping it in sometime in the next few days.

Gives you a tower to zip tie the cable chain to, opens up the wire routing channels even more, and I slimmed down the bolt faces to give a better grip on the nut (a 55mm bolt will grab but not reach the nylon if using a nylock nut currently, this should fix that.)

It's experimental until I manage to print and try one, but worst case is the tower snaps off and you end up with better wire routing routing and firmer grip on the m3 nuts.

Now that I have the titan mounted up and working I'm printing spares of everything - just in case - so why not modify a bit while I'm at it?

2016-06-11.png

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. Yogi

Yogi Member

Example with wire loom instead of a chain. Also shows the final product with fans and all mounted.

I'm quite pleased with how it ended.

IMG_1765.JPG IMG_1768.JPG IMG_1773.JPG IMG_1775.JPG IMG_1776.JPG

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  12. KTMDirtFace

Just installed, titan and new 25mm motor on my Robo3d R1+

Extruder motor is backwards, I don't feel like taking it apart to swap the wire lol, but I guess I will.

I tried setting this to 1 in the firmware instead, but it doesn't work at all and makes everything act weird/non responsive.

// For Inverting Stepper Enable Pins (Active Low) use 0, Non Inverting (Active High) use 1
    #define X_ENABLE_ON 0
    #define Y_ENABLE_ON 0
    #define Z_ENABLE_ON 0
    #define E_ENABLE_ON 0 // For all extruders ( I TRIED SETTING THIS TO 1 )

EDIT: I ended up reversing the plug to fix it. Still curious why the firmware change didn't work.

#52 KTMDirtFace, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Because that doesn't do what you think it does. Those settings just reverse the polarity of the pin used to tell the motors to activate.I don't have any old versions of the firmware on my PC but in RC7 the line you wanted was #570
    Code:
    #define INVERT_E0_DIR false
    you need to set that to true.

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Then reverse the connector on the RAMPS.
    TaDa!

danzca6 likes this.
  15. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

That's exactly what I did too and it worked great! Don't forget to adjust your extrusion steps.

16. KTMDirtFace

17. KTMDirtFace

Yogi,

Are you planning to release the .STEP files?

I printed the carriage for the larger bushing style bearings at 103% which made the length way to long, but the holes are way to small still for the bearings. ( seems like they are still the stock bearing size )

If you have a step file I can just fix it myself.

Thanks

My Titan mount is working but i'm changing to an aluminum bed and new bed heater so i figured I would print your mount since its cleaner.

18. Yogi

Yogi Member

I put up a .step file just for you, along with fixing the issue with the .stl I believe and uploaded that too.

You're right, it was still the stock bearing size, just with the larger bearing surface hidden within it. Enlarged the carriage hole to no longer interfere with the bearing surface.

I'll be moving to a corexy machine by the end of the year but will be happy to tweak any of the Robo3d items I have put up if anybody ever requests, it's been a really great printer. I'll try to find and export .step files for my work as well.

SPyKER, WheresWaldo and KTMDirtFace like this.
  19. KTMDirtFace

Thanks I fixed the .step and put up a remix
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1771692

Printed it out I think its going to work. Finding some 55mm screws wasn't too easy. Got some stainless ones coming from Fastenall then i'll mount it up.

I noticed some side to side wobble with the hotend and my simple titan mount. Doesn't seem to effect prints but annoys me so I want to try yours out.

20. KTMDirtFace

Printed out Yogi's carriage.. waiting on LM8UU bearings to install it ( I ditched the brass bushings, I just cannot ever get those things to not bind at one end...my rods are not straight enough for them. )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]