1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplified Titan Mount

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Yogi, May 11, 2016.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I printed a few links on this chain mount the other day. This might be off topic, but its beefy, moves both ways, and I printed the 5 link cluster as one print with no supports and it seems pretty good.. there was some stringy saggy stuff but it works.

I dont know if its the best 3d printed chain but seemed good to me

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:714789

2. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

That looks like a decent enough chain as well. I like the right angle link although I am not sure what I would use it for.

Here is the one I modeled that Yogi is referencing. It prints really nicely and is a good chain. If you want it to move in both directions you can easily remove the stop in the step file.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1580776

#22 Ezra Ehrhard, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
  3. Yogi

Yogi Member

4. 3D Printer Man

Looks good!

5. KTMDirtFace

Well I might be your guinea pig. I'm going to print yours out and starkengineerings out for my other robo3d. I'm putting an e3D on my new one but don't feel like drilling the stock carriage out so I'm going to print a new carriage for it.

Might take me awhile to get them printed but I will post up results when I do.

EDIT: I will probably modify both designs so they fit these bushing/bearings or whatever they are called from waldos posts.

EDIT 2: DERP.. your post above shows you already did that for me sweet!
    [​IMG]

6. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

KTMDirtFace - I am printing a carriage for those bearing right now. I was shocked I ordered them like Friday afternoon and they showed up today. I thought i would have a day or two to get stuff printed.

7. KTMDirtFace

Cool, I have a carriage for them already..its on my main old robo r1. I just modded mike kellys carriage and added .5mm hole to hole to make it not bind.

But I think Yogi already took care of that for me.. so i will print it soon

8. Yogi

Yogi Member

Ezra pointed out a broken stitch between the bronze bushing recess and the rest of the carriage for the version for use with the bronze bushings.

I just took a look and re-did the file on that one and ran it through Microsoft's stl fixer to be sure. After loading in S3d it looks worlds better than before.

This is now on the thingiverse page.

Thanks Ezra!

9. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

Hey Yogi are you by any chance planning to model a second fan? The current shroud is set back quite a bit from the hot end and I end up with heat issues on the far side of PLA prints. I can mod one myself but I was wondering if it was something you had considered. I also would make it quick disconnect like my other fans (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1555114) as I dont like them installed if I am not using them (PETg or ABS).

10. Yogi

Yogi Member

I was toying with the idea of multiple fan options, possibly a front fan, and a more general coverage option for the rear. If you end up making one that's cool, I'll tinker with a design sometime today or tomorrow though.

Should have my Titan delivered early next week, want to have as much ready to go as possible.

11. Yogi

Yogi Member

Quick trial of an idea. I'll print it out and test fit sometime in the next few days, but at least it's something to go off of. Needs to be better thought out for air flow.

2016-06-02.png

Attached Files:

12. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

Thats looking really good. I was going a different route. Once you have them where you want them let me know I may build in a JST connector into the clip for ease of removal and connection.

13. Yogi

Yogi Member

Can't speak to it's airflow or if it's too close to the heater block to cause an issue, however it prints easily and fits tightly. After a sliding it on and off a few times it wears in to an easy yet tight fit.

IMG_1747.JPG

Geof likes this.
  14. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

Yogi, When I tried your fan mount I was getting some dragging on the print. I hope you dont mind I took the liberty of remixing your carriage and got rid of the overhangs and ridge you added on the ends. It is now the same dimensions as the stock carriage. This allows for standard fans (like the ones I had already had designed for my Titan carriage). I tweaked one of my fans to shorten the shroud for front side cooling. I have not installed it yet but its printed out and looks like I will work nicely. Yogi_Carriage_Remix_v1.png Yogi_Carriage_Remix_v1_wFans.png

15. Yogi

Yogi Member

Sounds cool, glad you found a solution to the issue. :)

16. Yogi

Yogi Member

I've been wondering abut the fan clearance, without mounting it's rather difficult to guess at it. I always had issues with my stock carriage and most the fans I found that clip on, it could just be me (I like things to be extremely tight fitting).

Good job on the fans and tweaks, I like them alot!

In preparation for my own assembly this week I took your suggestions and inspiration and changed mine up for ease of use and added 1mm clearance to the bed. Hopefully that's enough. I rarely use parts fans but it would be nice to have it all nailed down.

Disregard the carriage in the picture, I toyed with the idea of a unibody, but it didn't pan out.

Thanks again, really nice having all the input and ideas!

PS: I changed up my remixed press fit chain mount from your x-idler, not sure about you but I noticed I was going to have a problem with it being too low for this carriage, I ended up raising the mount on the x-idler 8mm to make the chain lay flat on the x-axis. Did you have any issues?

2016-06-04.png

Attached Files:

KTMDirtFace and mark tomlinson like this.
  17. KTMDirtFace

Gonna try your carriage/mount out Yogi. Only problem is I only have the stock motor, I don't have another pancake motor so I might have to mod/flip your design a bit.

Tried to design my own but forgot about something, so it wont work lol. I forgot that that one mounting hole is back behind where the E3D slides in. Which meant I couldn't mount mine unless i ignored that mount screw point.. oops

18. Yogi

Yogi Member

I should be assembling mine tomorrow, will let you know how it goes.

19. Yogi

Yogi Member

Still have to work on wiring. Need to just take an afternoon and run straight wires and ditch the nest of connectors

But it is all working.
    IMG_1752.JPG IMG_1753.JPG

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  20. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Yogi, which motor did you use?