1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplified Titan Mount

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Yogi, May 11, 2016.

1. Yogi

Yogi Member

It will be a fair bit before a Titan is in the budget for myself but I thought the community may appreciate this. Considering I am unable to test it out, if anybody wanted to try it they would be the first.

I wanted a way to mount the Titan with as little bulk as possible, easy access to the gear wheel and tension screw, and with the mount facing forwards. It's meant to be as simple and small as possible while retaining rigidity and ease of print-ability. Once the 25mm pancake Nema 17 and extruder / v6 are mounted to the bracket it slides in and bolts to the carriage with just two recessed 3mm socket head bolts.

I can't be certain without printing it and test fitting but I don't believe any travel will be lost compared to the stock R1+ based off some quick measurements.

2016-05-12 (2).png 2016-05-12 (4).png 2016-05-12 (5).png

#1 Yogi, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
    Printed Solid likes this.
  2. Yogi

Yogi Member

3. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Nice, does it require drilling through the stock carriage or mike kellys carriage so that it cant bolt/clamp on? Hard to tell from the cad pictures what carriage it uses.

Or do you need to print a new carriage?

EDIT: nevermind I see it has a carriage in the thingiverse link.

4. Yogi

Yogi Member

Yes, like you said it needs a new carriage printed. I wanted to make it work well with existing carriages but in the end I decided to alter my own version rather than fighting to modify stock or other's models.

I plan to print a quick test set this afternoon out of either petg or abs to check for interference.

5. Yogi

Yogi Member

*** Update ***

Uploaded V2 to thingiverse. Changes:

- Parts fan bracket (slides on)
    - Cable management pathways
    - More clearance around hotend fan
    - cable chain mount
    - Resized m3 bolt holes larger based off new measurements
    - Supports are now a must for all files, still easy to print but there are overhangs.

In the interest of Not spamming this board, any further updates will be silent (no posts, just thingiverse page updates) unless interest is expressed here.

Geof likes this.
  6. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

Nice job! I like the direction you took. Any chance you would be willing to publish step files along with your STLs? I already have my cable chains and I am guessing I would have to tweak that mount.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Ezra Ehrhard just curious if at some point you will include solid model files with your Thingiverse STL's for anyone that wants to remodel it themselves.

8. Ezra Ehrhard

Ezra Ehrhard Member

I did for the carriage and cable chain mounts. I just uploaded the fan mounts right now. If you are not seeing something let me know and I will be happy to add it.

9. Yogi

Yogi Member

I will upload the step files later today when I'm at home. A print overnight showed a few flaws that need to be strengthened and a slight adjustment to the fan duct for a bit more clearance. Wish I had a titan laying around to be 100% sure it all worked, but hopefully somebody doesn't mind being the first to test fit.

I may end up sacrificing 1-2mm of x-travel in favor of a stronger joint, we will see though.

10. Yogi

Yogi Member

At this point I'm calling the project Ready-To-Go.

- Fan mount is still test printing but I'm hoping the latest tweaks will prove to make the fit a bit more comfy.
    - Carriage is updated to include both a version with a cable chain mount and one without.
    - Mount is slightly redesigned and still looses no x-travel I believe. It is now far stronger than the first few versions.

Also per request I have uploaded my step files as they stand. If anybody digs into them and feels they could be tweaked I'd very much appreciate the feedback and would be happy to see what I can do.

2016-05-13 (1).png 2016-05-13.png

11. Yogi

Yogi Member

Printed some quick pla models of the parts and test fit everything. Works very well and is an incredibly compact setup. I've very pleased with how it turned out. Don't mind the broken chain mount, I took some pliers to it to see how much force took too break it.

Adjusted screw holes for the main bolts, but I'd be comfortable saying now that the carriage and mount are ready to be used, don't see any more issues that need to be addressed.

Also yes, the v6 does fit down the hole in the carriage just fine, didn't take any odd contorting even with it mounted to the titan/mount/stepper.

IMG_1671.JPG IMG_1672.JPG IMG_1673.JPG IMG_1674.JPG

Mike Kelly and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. KTMDirtFace

I for one don't care if you "spam" the forum with updates. Its not spam its cool too see.

I'm not sure that I will attempt to print one since my mount based on thomas's youtube video is working great and I would have to modify the carriage for the diffrent bearings I'm using...which was kind of a chore to begin with lol

Maybe i'll have to get a Titan for my "other" robo3d haha.

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Soam away my friend i enjoy reading everyones projects. Very cool

14. Yogi

Yogi Member

Update

Taking a bit between prints and revisions, only have the one printer and other projects keep coming up. I'm hoping to finalize this within the next few days. I've moved on to working out the scaling to account for abs shrinkage. Thanks go out to KTMDirtFace for the help with figuring out what the final dimensions need to be to actually fit without binding.

Latest prints I've done at 101%, getting about 14.80mm ID for the bearings and 83.54mm center to center. Front my understanding that should be perfect.

I really hated the large protrusion for the chain mount. It also made it a hassle to change chain designs or ditch the chain all together if somebody decided to down the road. So I came up with a simple friction fit design. It should allow anybody to design their own chain adapters based on their needs.

Also I was quite bugged by the hindered air flow to the V6, I've since opened that up quite a lot and allowed for the fan to blow more along the x-axis. This redesign is going to take a test print to verify I didn't screw up the rigidity too much.

It's very stormy in Houston these days, depending on the weather I will either print off newest revisions to test or more likely I may just power it down for the night. (Some serious thunder storms going on lately.)

2016-05-19 (1).png 2016-05-19 (2).png 2016-05-19 (3).png 2016-05-19 (4).png 2016-05-19 (5).png 2016-05-19.png IMG_1686.JPG IMG_1688.JPG IMG_1690.JPG

15. KTMDirtFace

Nice I wish I could model all those parts up like that! would be so much easier to model up modification parts! Im not very good with the cads lol.

Also to clarify, the stock carriage hole to hole ( bearing centers ) Is I think 83mm. I Had to print mine in pla with 83.5mm in my cad file to prevent binding. I don't know what that ended up as after printing but I would guess after shrinkage it must be close to 83mm. And that was just my case.. and I was using PLA. ABS shrinks more. I was also using diffrent bearings. I'm just saying i wouldn't finalize anything but , please provide your fusion360/step files. I think things like this are a case where people are going to have to tweak it to get the tolerances right for their machine and their printer.

Summary I don't think a thingiverse .stl file is going to work for everyone. its not aluminum on a precision cnc.

Love what you have done I just wouldn't expect it to print exactly right for everyone they may need to tweak.

#15 KTMDirtFace, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  16. Yogi

Yogi Member

I totally agree, anybody who actually wanted to use this will need to print their own a few times to get the scaling perfect for post print dimensions. For me on abs I'm looking at around 100.5% so I have to figure that one out now.

My step files (solids not meshes) are also up on thingiverse along with the stl files, should be able to open them on thingiverse and easily change anything anybody wanted including opening it up for larger bearings.

The e3d, Titan, and stepper files were all grabbed from grabcad.com. From there I just imported them into the fusion file I'm working on as new bodies and was able to design the carriage/mount around them.

#16 Yogi, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    KTMDirtFace likes this.
  17. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Yogi Yeah another Fusion 360 user :)

Yogi likes this.
  18. Yogi

Yogi Member

So I printed everything again, and as I was cleaning off support material I wondered why I was doing this. My focus is to get this carriage finalized so I can be done with it and call it. The things holding me back are the supports are annoying, and the chain mount.

So I made ramps that hopefully make printing without supports possible, and to solve the issue with the chain I just ditched the protruding mount for a simple pair of T-slots for any number of chain mounts to be slide into. The entire point of this project was to simplify mounting a Titan, not to make a pain in the ass carriage where you are stuck with what you decided to do when printing it.

Printing now, at .1mm with no support at 100.50% scaling in S3D. If it comes out clean, and the bearing hole ID and center-to-center are in spec (or at least a ratio that scaling in the slicer fixes), then I'm calling it. If it has issues I'll revert to no ramp, require support, and then that will be it.

Added a slight overhang to the front along with a lip if somebody ever needed to mount a fan or something they would have the building blocks of where to begin. Same goes for any sort of chain mount, just make it fit the T-slots.

The mount piece printed well with supports, its just going to have to require them. It's not worth losing the air flow by not notching the bottom rails just to make it slightly easier to print. Still very solid even after removing material. Once I upload the next version it will be final as well. The only change I made from now until then is removing 1mm from the bottom of the mounting flange. The point was to keep it or any support scaring from getting in the way when attaching to the carriage.

It's been a fun project, can't wait to have it done and see if anybody uses it.

2016-05-20 (1).png 2016-05-20.png

19. Yogi

Yogi Member

It is done, updated thingiverse page to reflect this. Latest carriage printed nicely with t-slots, I did end up using supports due to the y-axis belt mount point.

From here on I may tinker with chain adapters but the main files (fan, mount, carriage) are complete.

Have fun with them.

For shits and giggles. Sadly I don't have V1 or the PETG version, those were destroyed in stress tests.

V5
    V4
    V3
    V2

IMG_1704.JPG IMG_1703.JPG IMG_1706.JPG

#19 Yogi, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Geof, Ezra Ehrhard and mark tomlinson like this.
  20. Yogi

Yogi Member

Example of a chain mount, anybody could make one for whatever chain they want.

Personally I'm looking to use Ezra's chain so I went that route.

2016-05-21 (7).png 2016-05-21 (8).png

mark tomlinson likes this.