1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Tired of dropping things down the Robo hole

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by danzca6, Aug 29, 2015.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Guys, made my first full model and put it on Thingiverse today. Got sick of accidently dropping screws or a part taking a bad bounce when removing it from the build plate. Felt like I had to play Operation each time or take the feet off and the bottom plate. What a pain!!! The right hand side of the R1 deck has this giant hole without a cover. Not anymore. I made a quick model that slips right into place that keeps air circulation and manages the wiring that comes out of this giant hole. Check it out if you suffer the same clumsy hands I do and let me know what you think. I have the R1 and not sure if other versions of the R1 or the Beta has the same hole and dimensions. If you build it and have issues let me know. I would love to make this universal for all if I can. Yes, still using the sample Robo blue.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:990408

Robo3d_DeckHoleCoverInstalled.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Handy part of not having a bottom I guess :)

Printed Solid likes this.
  3. danzca6

That's +1 for going bottomless I guess. :) It's just funny to have such a big hole on that side for just a few wires.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Can you upload the source files too!

5. danzca6

I have a link to Thingiverse for the STL file if that is what you mean? I am using the free version of Tinkercad and all the options I have are to save it as an STL, OBJ, X3D, or VRML file. If there is another format you need and you know how to get that out of Tinkercad, just let me know and I will post it for you. Forgive me for being a bit of a noob with modeling. This was my first one from scratch.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Tinkercad seems very limited, I'll make due with the .STL.

7. danzca6

Yes it is and sorry I couldn't supply you with a better source file. It's a bit painful of a product, but it was my first go at making a model from scratch and it was free. I'd be curious to see your ideas to redesign it. I know after printing it I really should have shaved 1mm from the top and bottom. It really didn't need to be as thick of a part. I was surprised to see that there wasn't a solution already available for this.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@danzca6 Free is good, you could try 123D Design from Autodesk it is free if you are a visual type person. There is also FreeCAD if you like a product that actually has a model timeline. Timelines let you go back to any point in the model creation. If you are more of a programmer, there is OpenSCAD.

I started with 123D Design and FreeCAD, I felt OpenSCAD was too limiting in its output and I am not a fan of writing code to build a model. It has its place in that making parametric models is easier.The other two are more visual, and you can see your model taking shape one feature at a time.

9. danzca6

@WheresWaldo thanks for the tips. My kids keep breaking the plastic guides on their dresser drawers and now that I have a 3d printer, that might be my next venture in 3d modeling or at least making a silicone mold of one of the remaining good ones. I will give these a try for that project. @Harry introduced me to Tinkercad with the Robbie project to add my son's name. That got me "tinkering" with Tinkercad and one thing led to another. It is a nice quick and easy app for adding text and doing some easy tweaks. I see Autodesk owns both Tinkercad and 123D. So I might start with that first. Having a timeline does sound nice though. Thanks again for the suggestions. My world is opening up with this new hobby. It's better than Legos according to my son and that's saying a lot.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

11. danzca6

Made a small addition to this mod. I made a modular plug that lets you incorporate different things for wire management. Couple of the included designs are for chain link project. Didn't care for the idea of adhesive of screwing the chain link end to the side of the cover and having to deal with it each time I removed the cover. So I made it part of the deck hole cover. Holds pretty well and clears the x-motor and assembly on that side nicely. I think this goes well with what SonnyDR put together. If you haven't seen his version of the chain link assembly yet, check it out here http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1091510. No need to remove the wires to assemble the chain. Very nice touch. I like the logo on the motor cover. Nice mix.

My deck hole cover accessories:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1105170

Robo3dDeckHoleCoverCableChainEnd.jpg

#11 danzca6, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Jimmy Husain and janot928 like this.
  12. janot928

janot928 Active Member

nice one

Mike Kelly likes this.